10/27: Sammy Watkins on the Rich Eisen Show

Is there some drinking game associated with how any times Rich Eisen says the person's name he is interviewing?

Kelly, I'm not sure what you're asking, Kelly. Tell me again, Kelly, what you thought of the interview? And Kelly, please be specific.

Yet, he did it again when he scored later.

yeah. I keep seeing people say that. It's not true. He didn't showboat on his TD. He didn't raise his arms in joy. All he did was let up down the stretch after making sure he had a cushion. I'm literally watching the replay right now. It's clear as day. He didn't showboat, not was he in any danger of making the same mistake he already made earlier. He extended the score to a 27 point lead late with no option for the Jets to come back.

He had almost 10 yards between him and the safety chasing him and he was in clear view of him the entire time.

Even the announcers made a comment about how he didn't do the same thing he did earlier.

Edited by mrags

yeah. I keep seeing people say that. It's not true. He didn't showboat on his TD. He didn't raise his arms in joy. All he did was let up down the stretch after making sure he had a cushion. I'm literally watching the replay right now. It's clear as day. He didn't showboat, not was he in any danger of making the same mistake he already made earlier. He extended the score to a 27 point lead late with no option for the Jets to come back.

Even the announcers made a comment about how he didn't do the same thing he did earlier.

He did clearly slow up though, he didn't "finish" the play like he even said he did. Granted, he knew for sure that there was no one there. That was abundantly clear. But he didn't run full speed until he was into the endzone, which he should have done after the first one. And should always do. If you don't it's somewhat showboating. There really is no excuse for it, regardless of how many guys do it.

He did clearly slow up though, he didn't "finish" the play like he even said he did. Granted, he knew for sure that there was no one there. That was abundantly clear. But he didn't run full speed until he was into the endzone, which he should have done after the first one. And should always do. If you don't it's somewhat showboating. There really is no excuse for it, regardless of how many guys do it.

i didn't see that as showboating at all. I saw it as the nail in the coffin for the game. 9 minutes left. Up by 4 TDs. Why bother straining yourself. It's truly a final nail in the coffin kind of play.

I'd also like to point out what I fear may be true. Is that Sammy looked to be hobbling on that play near the end. It may not be anything. Maybe he just had a funny hitch when he downshifted gears. But it looked very funny to me. Fwiw, I just rewatched the play about 15 times.

He had almost 10 yards between him and the safety chasing him and he was in clear view of him the entire time.

Apparently people think he should Forrest Gump out of the stadium

Apparently people think he should Forrest Gump out of the stadium

right?!?

I don't disagree that he downshifted at the end of the run. I just believe it was anything like his other long play. I don't believe it was him showboating at all.

i didn't see that as showboating at all. I saw it as the nail in the coffin for the game. 9 minutes left. Up by 4 TDs. Why bother straining yourself. It's truly a final nail in the coffin kind of play.

I'd also like to point out what I fear may be true. Is that Sammy looked to be hobbling on that play near the end. It may not be anything. Maybe he just had a funny hitch when he downshifted gears. But it looked very funny to me. Fwiw, I just rewatched the play about 15 times.

Then 1] He should have put the nail in the coffin one second earlier by running all the way.

And 2] See?! He shouldn't have been showboating because he looked like he hurt himself downshifting and letting up! :lol:

Then 1] He should have put the nail in the coffin one second earlier by running all the way.

And 2] See?! He shouldn't have been showboating because he looked like he hurt himself downshifting and letting up! :lol:

well. If he had a 10 yard lead, there's no worry in not getting in. He could have crawled in at that point without having any issues.

Maybe he did hurt himself. Who knows.

Again. I don't deny that he slowed down at the end. But it was not showboating. He wasn't pointing. Raising his arms in the air. High stepping. Anything like that. He got into the end zone and tossed the ball and chest bumped another Bill on the field. There was literally no showboating involved.

It's not a matter of how any WRs do it or not. It's a matter of how any WRs know for a fact that will not be caught and can coast into the end zone at that point.

People say the same thing about Usain Bolt when he let up in the Olympics. He coasted. He didn't get crazy and showboat I'm that race. He could have beat his already shattered world record. But he didn't feel the need to. He saved himself. He got the gold medal. He won the race for him and his country. The only people that are mad at him for that are the fans because they felt like thy deserved to see a record broken. It's a very similar scenario.

One of the most painful interviews to listen to.

and with this I agree. Sammy sounds so awkward and Eisen is that weird creeper stalking him. That's the kind of feel I got. Edited by mrags

He slowed up, but I disagree; it's not showboating. If Watkins doesn't point to the stands of he first play, but gets caught from behind no one is talking about it. They think he maybe ran out of gas. And if he goes full speed with no one near him, then pulls a hammy, well he shouldn't risk injury for no reason. He made a rookie mistake that he probably could get away with in college; I doubt he'll do it again. The second play in question wasn't showboating, just being smart. I don't see guys slowing down as showboating unless they gesture to a defender or the crowd, or run backwards. And since when does one need an " excuse" to celebrate a little ( as long as they score) ?That's just No Fun League dronethink.

He slowed up, but I disagree; it's not showboating. If Watkins doesn't point to the stands of he first play, but gets caught from behind no one is talking about it. They think he maybe ran out of gas. And if he goes full speed with no one near him, then pulls a hammy, well he shouldn't risk injury for no reason. He made a rookie mistake that he probably could get away with in college; I doubt he'll do it again. The second play in question wasn't showboating, just being smart. I don't see guys slowing down as showboating unless they gesture to a defender or the crowd, or run backwards. And since when does one need an " excuse" to celebrate a little ( as long as they score) ?That's just No Fun League dronethink.

I understand what you're saying, just don't agree with any of it. I don't mind endzone celebrations one bit. I don't mind sack dances one bit. I love when Fred bends over backwards and screams like a banshee. But it's showboating. I just personally don't like when any player slows up before they get to the endzone, for any reason, it's like running out a pop fly in baseball. There is no reason for it. He's not slowing down to protect himself from getting a hammy injury. C'mon.

I was actually surprised hearing Watkins explain what really happened today to Eisen. I always though he just didn't really know the guy was there when he looked up to the Jumbotron because another Jet fell behind him. But Watkins said he saw the guy behind him on the screen, but thought he was at least five yards behind him and not 2-3. That made it far worse.