{OT} Neighbor's Barking Dog

Surfmeister

I have lived in the same quiet neighborhood for 7 years. Less than a year ago the people living behind me to the left got a dog that won't stop barking. During the day I'm at work, but in the evening or on the weekend it is a distraction when I'm trying to enjoy my backyard patio. They only have one dog. So when the dog is outside it uses all its energy to let the owners know it wants to get back in the house. It doesn't matter if it is hot or cold, wet or dry outside. This dog is a barker.

I have hit Google and places sell Ultrasonic bark stoppers. Evidently, when the device "hears" the dog bark, it emits an ultrasonic frequency the dogs hate and it trains them to be quiet. I could install it on my property and point it into the dog's yard and see what happens.

Has anyone had success or failure with this kind of device. It sounds too good to be true. By the way, I'm not going to talk to the neighbor's about the problem. I've talked to the folks right behind me that live next door to these folks. They tried to reason with the dog owners and got told to go to hell and mind their own business. Can you imagine that kind of attitude from the dog owners? I don't want to call the cops into it even though the barking goes on after midnight. Let's leave them to catch real criminals.

Anyone have a solution that works ??

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if by "ultrasonics" you mean "bleach in his drinking water", then yes, ultrasonics work fine.

When I first moved down here, my roomate had a beagle/jack russel mix. The dog was good, but barked NON stop when we left.

So, we got him a collar that would spray a light mist of citronella up towards his head when he barked. I swear to you, the thing was like magic. He would bark maybe once when we would leave, you could hear the spray, and that was that... it was actually funny.

I have lived in the same quiet neighborhood for 7 years.  Less than a year ago the people living behind me to the left got a dog that won't stop barking.  During the day I'm at work, but in the evening or on the weekend it is a distraction when I'm trying to enjoy my backyard patio.  They only have one dog.  So when the dog is outside it uses all its energy to let the owners know it wants to get back in the house.  It doesn't matter if it is hot or cold, wet or dry outside.  This dog is a barker.

I have hit Google and places sell Ultrasonic bark stoppers.  Evidently, when the device "hears" the dog bark, it emits an ultrasonic frequency the dogs hate and it trains them to be quiet.  I could install it on my property and point it into the dog's yard and see what happens.

Has anyone had success or failure with this kind of device.  It sounds too good to be true.  By the way, I'm not going to talk to the neighbor's about the problem.  I've talked to the folks right behind me that live next door to these folks.  They tried to reason with the dog owners and got told to go to hell and mind their own business.  Can you imagine that kind of attitude from the dog owners?  I don't want to call the cops into it even though the barking goes on after midnight.  Let's leave them to catch real criminals.

224163[/snapback]

My brother had a similar problem. He got a hand held device that emitted a noise offensive to dogs and he kept hand and would use as soon as the dog started barking. He said it worked pretty well for a while but eventually they got used to it. I'm not sure about ones that work automatically as you describe. His sounded like a low cost option so you might want to give that a try first.

I really like dogs.  It's the owners that get on my nerves.  The dog is just frustrated because it is made to spend so much time alone in the yard.  I just want it to be quieter when it is hating its doggie life.

224216[/snapback]

We've had a similar problem for years. Seems we're the only people in the neighborhood without a dog. These people around us get these dogs to somehow make their lives complete after they've finally moved into their very own house.

Once the novelty wears off, the poor animals end up in the backyard, ignored by the owners. A lot of times I believe the dog is just a band-aid to fill some void until their masters have children. Once the babies arrive, Fido gets a life sentence to backyard solitary confinement.

Some use the excuse that they're outside for the owner's protection. Someone explain how it can be considered as a good guard dog if it barks at every living creature that creeps into or near the property. Hell, the animal will finally shutup once some friendly burglar shows up to pet the poor thing. Maybe that's the genius of the guard dog theory! Anilmal is quiet - it means trouble.

Our only solution is to move into a more upscale neighborhood with a home owner's association that will supprt our right to have peace. We've been debating this move for a while. On one hand, we bought our home 13 years ago and our mortgage and taxes are so insignificant that we hate to change our financial freedom. Moving into one of the more upscale neighborhoods (which we could well afford) would take away from money we now use to travel, buy toys, improve the house, invest, etc. Is it worth giving that up because of some inconsiderate neighbors? I don't know. Maybe. A lot will depend on who (and with what animals) moves into the house next door (which appears to be abandoned at this time).

We've had little help from the local sherriff or animal control. The laws and town ordinances are not in favor of the law-abiding, peace loving citizens.

When I was young, we were taught that owning pets carried with it certain responsibilites. I think too many pet owners think taking care of a dog means filling it's dish every so often.

Whatever you do, don't take it out on the dog. It's not the animal's fault. Dog's are bred and made to be working, hunting, or cuddling and just being companions. No dog should just be thrown outside to be left by itself day after day. That's downright cruel.

I have lived in the same quiet neighborhood for 7 years.  Less than a year ago the people living behind me to the left got a dog that won't stop barking.  During the day I'm at work, but in the evening or on the weekend it is a distraction when I'm trying to enjoy my backyard patio.  They only have one dog.  So when the dog is outside it uses all its energy to let the owners know it wants to get back in the house.  It doesn't matter if it is hot or cold, wet or dry outside.  This dog is a barker.

I have hit Google and places sell Ultrasonic bark stoppers.  Evidently, when the device "hears" the dog bark, it emits an ultrasonic frequency the dogs hate and it trains them to be quiet.  I could install it on my property and point it into the dog's yard and see what happens.

Has anyone had success or failure with this kind of device.  It sounds too good to be true.  By the way, I'm not going to talk to the neighbor's about the problem.  I've talked to the folks right behind me that live next door to these folks.  They tried to reason with the dog owners and got told to go to hell and mind their own business.  Can you imagine that kind of attitude from the dog owners?  I don't want to call the cops into it even though the barking goes on after midnight.  Let's leave them to catch real criminals.

224163[/snapback]

That beast is disturbing the peace and I don't see how the police can't get involved in the future!!! They're not reasonable owners and prob could care less about the animal.

You might, however, try to find out why they got that dog in the first place though.

Call the police...especially on weekend nights...let the neighbors in on it and have everyone call the same evening....

You can't talk sense into the owner so unless your ready for a physical confrontation you really dont have a choice....

hopefully 1 visit from the cops will make them wake up and smell the coffee.

Cops are there to protect AND serve.......let them handle it.

good luck...let us know what happens.

Don't do anything stupid that will only get YOU in trouble.

One thing to consider, assuming these ultrasonic devices are actually effective (I have no idea), is what about other dogs in the neighborhood? Are there any in the immediate proximity? If so, it certainly isn't right to emit an annoying & offensive noise (to dogs) that they are subjected to just 'cuz of some other dog. For that matter, what if the noise (is it correct to say something ultrasonic emits a noise? :rolleyes: ) aggrevates these other dogs to cause them to bark.

Exactly.  Try spraying citronella up the owners nose.

Now if it were a cat..........

224267[/snapback]

haha... no the collar we had doesn't spray citronella up the dog's nose, or in it's eye, or even in its mouth. Its simply the fact that the dogs hears the spray, feels it, and smells it. It really does no harm to the dog whatsoever.

Here:

http://www.healthypetonline.com/citronella_collar.html

http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicle/96/6.6.96/barking.html