Fire Hackett

It does. But the fact that good teams aren't perfect doesn't mean we should be good with whatever happens just because it's happened to a good team before.

It's a long season and every team has ups and downs. Yesterday should've been a big boost after some lackluster performances (17, 17, 22, 17, 10 points the last 5 weeks - San diego had that as a low game with a lot of 30+ around it...) and instead it was kind of the flattest explosion possible.

That you are harping on the lowest scoring game San diego won as a comparable to our highest output is kind of telling I think.

43 points is flat?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 points is flat?

Did you see the yardage per drive I posted? Take out 2 passes and our long drive over a 50 minute stretch was 14 yards. Likewise our most plays in a drive outside the first and last was 5, when sammy got caught. We had two scoring drives that were negative yards and two td drives that started inside the red zone.

As far as 43 point games go it was about the least explosive offensive production I've seen. You keep comparing the scheme to San diego exploding for 22, for instance.

So Marrone deserves no credit for the 5-3 start...

I miss those 4 win Gailey years... SO much more exciting!

For some people wins and losses don't matter as much as tingles

It's funny cause we've been here before with gailey and people called me crazy for being a bit antsy about how we got out to that hot start. That year was scheme and turnovers masking talent issues. This year seems to be talent masking coaching issues. Hackett could start rolling, but it's possible we hit a wall again if we can't stay more efficient on offense.

Edited by NoSaint

It's funny cause we've been here before with gailey and people called me crazy for being a bit antsy about how we got out to that hot start. That year was scheme and turnovers masking talent issues. This year seems to be talent masking coaching issues. Hackett could start rolling, but it's possible we hit a wall again if we can't stay more efficient on offense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sold on this coaching staff, and I've been critical of them but if they win I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sold on this coaching staff, and I've been critical of them but if they win I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt

Still an 11-13 regime that's been a mixed bag so far.

I don't know why they "deserve" that in a message board convo. Heck, I'd hope they look at the game and are a little unhappy with it being close so long too and they grow from it. I'd venture good coaches would probably be a bit frustrated... but accept the win.

Still an 11-13 regime that's been a mixed bag so far.

I don't know why they "deserve" that in a message board convo. Heck, I'd hope they look at the game and are a little unhappy with it being close so long too and they grow from it. I'd venture good coaches would probably be a bit frustrated... but accept the win.

My problem is this: supposedly the answers are so simple that they are obvious to message board posters, yet our NFL coaches don't get it

Maybe they know things we don't.

For an OC that deserves to be fired he has a QB who is becoming a story in the national media for his performance

Did you see the yardage per drive I posted? Take out 2 passes and our long drive over a 50 minute stretch was 14 yards. Likewise our most plays in a drive outside the first and last was 5, when sammy got caught. We had two scoring drives that were negative yards and two td drives that started inside the red zone.

As far as 43 point games go it was about the least explosive offensive production I've seen. You keep comparing the scheme to San diego exploding for 22, for instance.

Take out our most productive plays and we weren't productive? That's seems a little unfair. Take out all our run plays and Hackett called a 10 yard per play game.

I'm comparing it to San Diego because some were arguing that good teams don't take their foot off the gas. Take out their few big plays and their yardage per drive was awful, too.

And yes, I believe the games would be completely comparable if we eliminated the last 3 turnovers. Both games had a similar level of talent and play disparity.

You can say it's "telling" that we're comparing these two games. That's a little negative. Me, I just consider it using other games to back up an argument.

Teams squander opportunities all of the time but they do it trying to make plays. It's okay to get stopped; it's not okay to avoid challenging them. Errors of commission not omission

Best way I've seen this articulated yet.

You can always cherry pick stats games and quarters

The team is 5-3 and the season is alive. Wins are all that matters

Cleveland "won" that 6-3 game against the Bills. I am pretty sure they don't deserve a medal for it, though.

Happy with the win, but let's just be reasonable and agree that we'd all like them to be better.

Like them to be better yes

Fire a coach on a 5-3 team no

Agreed, an in-season firing is crazy. But the possibility of an upgrade in the offseason should be on the table. I think as with some of the onfield talent, you shouldn't ditch anybody unless you have a better replacement lined up.

Agreed, an in-season firing is crazy. But the possibility of an upgrade in the offseason should be on the table. I think as with some of the onfield talent, you shouldn't ditch anybody unless you have a better replacement lined up.

I want to see the full 16 games

It's halftime right now

Not crazy and not unprecedented.

Recall when the 9-4 Ravens fired Cam Cameron as OC and replaced him with QB coach, Jim Caldwell.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732341/baltimore-ravens-fire-cam-cameron-tab-jim-caldwell

The only problem is that no one on the staff is better than Hackett. Todd Downing has never been an OC, and Jim Hostler was considered one of the worst play callers ever when he was OC in San Fran for one year. In fact, wouldn't surprise me that Hostler is the guy telling Hackett to run-run-pass, based on what I read of Hostler.

Not crazy and not unprecedented.

Recall when the 9-4 Ravens fired Cam Cameron as OC and replaced him with QB coach, Jim Caldwell.

http://espn.go.com/n...ab-jim-caldwell

The only problem is that no one on the staff is better than Hackett. Todd Downing has never been an OC, and Jim Hostler was considered one of the worst play callers ever when he was OC in San Fran for one year. In fact, wouldn't surprise me that Hostler is the guy telling Hackett to run-run-pass, based on what I read of Hostler.

Well, that was my point. There is no good replacement lined up. The time for bringing someone in from outside would absolutely be in the offseason, and they actually have a built-in excuse for any changes with Pegula in town.

Orton and Hackett seem to have good chemistry IMO, and I'm under the impression Hackett is trying to take what Kyle Orton does well, and his weakness's, and come up with the best plan of action against Buffalo's opponents.

I've heard the Jets game described as very calculated by some of the more football savvy Bills fans.

I think its a great description of how the game went.

Well, that was my point. There is no good replacement lined up. The time for bringing someone in from outside would absolutely be in the offseason, and they actually have a built-in excuse for any changes with Pegula in town.

I sincerely doubt they'll get rid of Hackett at any time while Marrone is still here, especially mid-season. If they did, however, I would think that Hostler would be the next man up for OC duties, even if Marrone makes the play calls.

I sincerely doubt they'll get rid of Hackett at any time while Marrone is still here, especially mid-season. If they did, however, I would think that Hostler would be the next man up for OC duties, even if Marrone makes the play calls.

ill agree that i dont think it would happen, but if it did the logistics would probably be similar.

im curious how much playcalling marrone has on his resume at any level.