Are we playing ourselves?!?

Tell me which team I am talking about (Bills or Jests) when I make these statements:

1. Good D, average to subpar offense

2. D-line is very good, but they can be beat in the secondary.

3. One of their guards ranks in the low-mid 70's out of 78 guards in pff's grading system, the other is even worse.

4. They are starting a guard this week with limited or no playing time with the starting unit this season.

5. Qb can make great throws and pick up yardage in chunks, but is also turnover prone.

6. They want to be a run-first team.

7. Bull headed coach.

8. Have not had a true franchise quarterback in around a decade, they are not sure they have one now.

9. They are from New York.... Oh wait, that one only applies to the bills. Ha!

Seriously, though... It's like looking in a really depressing mirror.

It's gonna be a really interesting game.

Edited by BillsBackersChicago

You're doing mental gymnastics on number 5. Kyle Orton, while troublesome in certain aspects, is a demonstrably better quarterback than Geno Smith.

Dude's got 19 TDs and 28 INTs in 23 starts. That's like...well, it's hard to even compare to other QBs because most guys wouldn't make it to start #24 with those numbers.

Well played, sir.

You're doing mental gymnastics on number 5. Kyle Orton, while troublesome in certain aspects, is a demonstrably better quarterback than Geno Smith.

Dude's got 19 TDs and 28 INTs in 23 starts. That's like...well, it's hard to even compare to other QBs because most guys wouldn't make it to start #24 with those numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you and think that Orton is leaps and bounds above geno smith who I can't believe is still playing, but if I had to give each a one line summary it would read similarly (even if the bad of one is way worse than the bad of the other).

Does that make any sense?

I do wonder, however if the reason geno is still playing and EJ is benched is his ability to throw downfield (albeit with a ridiculous amount of turnovers). Is it possible that this is what people are talking about when they say the qb is going through his growing pains (picks, bad reads, mistakes) but is flashing signs of potential (great throws, moving the ball with his arm).

Anyways, I agree, gene sucks right now and I am very happy Orton is our qb and not him.

Well played, sir.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you and think that Orton is leaps and bounds above geno smith who I can't believe is still playing, but if I had to give each a one line summary it would read similarly (even if the bad of one is way worse than the bad of the other).

I do wonder, however if the reason geno is still playing and EJ is benched is his ability to throw downfield (albeit with a ridiculous amount of turnovers). Is it possible that this is what people are talking about when they say the qb is going through his growing pains (picks, bad reads, mistakes) but is flashing signs of potential (great throws, moving the ball with his arm).

Anyways, I agree, gene sucks right now and I am very happy Orton is our qb and not him.

Yeah, I'm inclined to think Geno's ceiling is higher than EJ's.

The bigger reason, though, is that the Bills planned their backup QB situation a lot better than the Jets. Pundits laughed when the Bills brought in Orton for $5 million, but the Jets have the decaying corpse of Michael Vick for the same amount. In his one appearance this year, Vick netted 47 yards on 19 attempts and 2 interceptions.

Yeah, I'm inclined to think Geno's ceiling is higher than EJ's.

The bigger reason, though, is that the Bills planned their backup QB situation a lot better than the Jets. Pundits laughed when the Bills brought in Orton for $5 million, but the Jets have the decaying corpse of Michael Vick for the same amount. In his one appearance this year, Vick netted 47 yards on 19 attempts and 2 interceptions.

And Vick actually looked worse than the stats show.

the Jets have the decaying corpse of Michael Vick

See that's just mean. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that its mean. To be honest, the little I have seen of MV this year it looks like he is not even trying.

Like he has been told that he cannot win the starting job and so he is gonna collect his check, give a half ass effort when told to go in, and do what it takes to not get injured.

It's always fascinating to me how players like Vick can have amazing seasons like the one he had in philly and then now be SO PUTRID. Assuming it's age, or system, but it is really striking how drastic the change can be.

Carson Palmer did something similar.

Does it count if we're playing with ourselves?

Not really, I've been doing that all season, and all offseason, and all last season...and... Well you get the idea

This is different. And yes, the title of the thread (omitting the word "against") was intentional.

Tell me which team I am talking about (Bills or Jests) when I make these statements:

3. One of their guards ranks in the low-mid 70's out of 78 guards in pff's grading system, the other is even worse.

4. They are starting a guard this weak with limited or no playing time with the starting unit this season.

5. Qb can make great throws and pick up yardage in chunks, but is also turnover prone.

7. Bull headed coach.

8. Have not had a true franchise quarterback in around a decade, they are not sure they have one now.

It's gonna be a really interesting game.

step away from the ledge

We have a great D. We have played highly talented passing offenses. San Diego, new england, Detroit and then even Miami and Minnesota to some degree

Edit. And Vick has been garbage since he came back in the league and wasn't much better before that. As a QB I'd rather have Tebow, hands down.

Anyone who likes Vick or wanted him to come here needs to come out and eat their crow.

We have a great D. We have played highly talented passing offenses. San Diego, new england, Detroit and then even Miami and Minnesota to some degree

Maybe, although if you had to pick a weakness of our D, wouldn't you say it was our secondary (not the front 7)?

Great passing D vs great passing O should result in a mediocre day for both, but if I recall, against New England and Chargers, the balance was definitely in favor of the offense. I am not counting Detroit because I think Stafford is up and down and was missing his game changing receiver that his offence is based around.

Well, we are playing ourselves in the sense that we are our own worst enemy when it comes to turnovers and penalties. And if we win the war with ourselves, we win the game. As far as the Bills being similar to the Jets, I don't really see it. Sure, in broad strokes your points make sense, but then we would be similar to many teams given those points.

Biggest difference is the Jets are 1-6. Experts can talk all they want about how hard their schedule has been. Fact is the Bills would be at least 3-4 with their same schedule.

Maybe, although if you had to pick a weakness of our D, wouldn't you say it was our secondary (not the front 7)?

Great passing D vs great passing O should

Result in a mediocre day for both, but if I recall, against New England and Chargers, the balance was definitely in favor of the offense. I am not counting Detroit because I think Stanford is up and down and was missing his game changing receiver that his offense is based around.

I don't think our secondary is that bad. I think it is being played wrong. Bad schemes and coverages. Mckelvin and Gilmore struggle so we attempt to adjust then leave Graham as not fitting the scheme.

With the versatility we have between Graham, mckelvin and Gilmore we can easily mix and match to adapt our packages. Robey is a pure beast in subpackages and because his limitations in this role will not easily be exploited

Yet, everyone is exploited. Duke Williams, McKelvin and Gilmore get left high and dry every game with little to no over the top help. We need help at FS and this is clear. We simply either need speed or someone smart enough to be where they need to in order to stop the big play.

I don't think our secondary is that bad. I think it is being played wrong. Bad schemes and coverages. Mckelvin and Gilmore struggle so we attempt to adjust then leave Graham as not fitting the scheme.

With the versatility we have between Graham, mckelvin and Gilmore we can easily mix and match to adapt our packages. Robey is a pure beast in subpackages and because his limitations in this role will not easily be exploited

Yet, everyone is exploited. Duke Williams, McKelvin and Gilmore get left high and dry every game with little to no over the top help. We need help at FS and this is clear. We simply either need speed or someone smart enough to be where they need to in order to stop the big play.

Fair point and to add to it, this secondary and defense as a whole really misses Aaron Williams, they have been much more cohesive with him on the field. Hopefully he gets back soon.

Duke williams is a hot mess, hopefully he starts to put it together, and I recognize that he has been pushed up the depth chart ready or not due to the williams injury, but I see him as a liability at this time.

I love Robey, flaws and all, and I agree that the key is to use in him in the right situation where his limitations cannot be exploited.

4. They are starting a guard this week with limited or no playing time with the starting unit this season.

7. Bull headed coach.

Except for the fact that one team is 4 - 3 the other 1 - 6 and the Bills are the one that's 4 - 3...

Well I have said from the beginning that the Jets seem like they were building their team to be like ours. Why? I have no idea because we have not won jack sh_t but they have.

We wanted a mobile quarterback and drafted EJ Manuel First then they got one in Geno Smith.

We had a fast running back in CJ spiller, then they went out got Chris Johnson,

We got a Sammy "Do IT ALL" Watkins, then they went and got Percy "Knock My Teammate Out" Harvin.

They even been picking up our scrapes at Receiver (Ex. David Nelson, TJ Graham.)

So yes in many ways they Jets are Built the same way the Bills are right now.

Edited by Protocal69

Well played, sir.

Peyton had lots of int's in his rookie year.