The Bills have the best Dline in the league

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think both Hughes and Dareus can be signed, provided we are smart about who we resign

IMO Hughes and Dareus are vital, and hopefully an extension for Cordy Glenn

The Bills fortunately do not have many notable players set to hit the market this year. Besides Hughes, Dareus, and Spiller, I can only think of Pears, Searcy, Spikes, Hairston, and Easley. Out of those 5, I would probably only extend Searcy, and offer an affordable deal to Spikes. I think Searcy is quietly becoming a very solid safety. While Spikes has improved our run defense notably, I still think he is quite one dimensional, and doesn't play the amount of snaps that would warrant a large contract. Kiko will be back next year

With Spiller injured we now we will get a sense of what Bryce Brown can do in his place. If I were the Bills with Spiller coming up a bad season with an injury I would not offer much. Spiller is dynamic and is definitely worth a spot on this team provided his touches are limited and he is utilized properly, but we should not be looking to blow him away with an offer.

This team overall has been built that we have the cap room needed to extend our core players, and we have decent depth and role players filling in other positions. It is vital to extend and keep our strengths- the defensive line, especially.

Definitely the strength of the team, but we're always so hesitant to label anything Bills-related as "best in the league." I think we should embrace that they are indeed second to none when it comes to the defensive line.

On a semi-related note I also think it's safe to say that the Shepphard-for-Hughes trade is probably the most lopsided player-for-player trade in the entire history of the NFL. I looked around a bit and couldn't find a single instance that worked out better for one team.

Well, we got shafted on the Lynch trade. They got a top 10, durable running back, we got Hairston and Tank Carder. That sucks.

But I agree its pretty unbelievable what an animal Hughes is out there. He's better than Mario in terms of pressure, and he's getting better every week. His spin move is getting lethal, his hands are so fast and he's relentless out there. He might get 15 sacks this year.

There's no question about it. I have serious questions about the offense but we are loaded on the defensive line. They are the team MVPs. We need to lock up Jerry to Hughes money (stolen :) ). We also need to think about working out a long term deal for Dareus this offseason as well. You can't lose quality defensive linemen. They are so valuable.

And since everyone just focuses on numbers, Mario will be lost in the shuffle. But he is having the best all around season as a Bill. I love watching these guys play.

Definitely the strength of the team, but we're always so hesitant to label anything Bills-related as "best in the league." I think we should embrace that they are indeed second to none when it comes to the defensive line.

On a semi-related note I also think it's safe to say that the Shepphard-for-Hughes trade is probably the most lopsided player-for-player trade in the entire history of the NFL. I looked around a bit and couldn't find a single instance that worked out better for one team.

The Lions may argue you with you......but they are great to watch...wonder if they try to re-sign Hughes....

except for that time we played the Lions

My point was in terms of all around play against the run and pass throughout seven weeks it is marginal. I did not outright state the Lions have the better line, just that it is close to call.

different scheme. If I recall, they had him at OLB.

It is rather strange given the fact a lot of the time Hughes is a stand up end when it's a definite passing down.

Maybe it was due to the pressure of whom he had to eventually replace there in Mathis or Freeney?

I think with the Bills he has had the chance to make a name for himself with some stud DT's and an All-Pro pass rusher in Mario on the other side.

The one aspect of Hughes game that should get him a pay day is his hustle.

Edited by Smooth

My point was in terms of all around play against the run and pass throughout seven weeks it is marginal. I did not outright state the Lions have the better line, just that it is close to call.

I meant that the Bills have possibly the worst OL in the league, yet were able to win the game. So the Lions have a lot of talent but maybe underachieve a bit.

I meant that the Bills have possibly the worst OL in the league, yet were able to win the game. So the Lions have a lot of talent but maybe underachieve a bit.

You are absolutely correct that they definitely underachieved after the outing the Vikes put on yesterday, as well as the Pats*.

The Lions line is nothing short or abysmal and very sporadic in protection as well. Not as badly as the Bills but poor nonetheless.

Bills lead NFL with 9.45% sack/attempt rate

4th in NFL overall in 3rd down %

You are absolutely correct that they definitely underachieved after the outing the Vikes put on yesterday, as well as the Pats*.

The Lions line is nothing short or abysmal and very sporadic in protection as well. Not as badly as the Bills but poor nonetheless.

I meant the Lions DL underachieved when playing the Bills OL. Edited by YoloinOhio