Does Jason Garret Teach us Something About Coaching Changes?

I was just wondering if there is something to learn about the Cowboys sudden return to prominence?

The team has arguably less talent this year than last year (minus Demarcus Ware, Sean Lee etc.) and yet they just went into Seattle and knocked off the defending champions to improve their record to 5-1.

The Cowboys seem to be for real, much to my surprise. The question is, does it have to do with the fact that they stuck with Garret through the losing seasons which created a level of consistency? Or is there some other reason for their sudden success?

I know that I am personally getting fed up with Marrone (and was never sold on him from the start) but is there an argument to be made for keeping him to maintain some consistency if the Bills don't make the playoffs this year? I don't think he looks any worse that Garret did before this season. Garret arguable had more talent to work with. What say you? Maybe we should have kept Gailey longer?

Just thought it was an interesting opinion topic.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wondering about this too. Garrett's teams were all close to getting over the hump though and it often came down to the last game of the season. At least that is my recollection.

Yup. The last 3 seasons. So all three of his failures are still better than anything this team has put together in a decade.

I've been wondering about this too. Garrett's teams were all close to getting over the hump though and it often came down to the last game of the season. At least that is my recollection.

Ya they did get close, but they were in a pretty weak division with no clear front runner like the Pats are in ours. Also did anyone think that the Cowboys keeping Garret was a good idea? When they didn't fire him last year I was pretty surprised. I don't think anyone thought "Good move by the Cowboys in keeping Jason Garret, that will pay dividends later".

I was just wondering if there is something to learn about the Cowboys sudden return to prominence?

The team has arguably less talent this year than last year (minus Demarcus Ware, Sean Lee etc.) and yet they just went into Seattle and knocked off the defending champions to improve their record to 5-1.

The Cowboys seem to be for real, much to my surprise. The question is, does it have to do with the fact that they stuck with Garret through the losing seasons which created a level of consistency? Or is there some other reason for their sudden success?

I know that I am personally getting fed up with Marrone (and was never sold on him from the start) but is there an argument to be made for keeping him to maintain some consistency if the Bills don't make the playoffs this year? I don't think he looks any worse that Garret did before this season. Garret arguable had more talent to work with. What say you? Maybe we should have kept Gailey longer?

Just thought it was an interesting opinion topic.

So if the Cowboys again suffer a season ending collapse out of the playoffs do we still ask how they and Garrett were able to turn it around?

Now what would Winston Wolf say in week 7 about the Cowboys' "sudden return to prominence"?

So if the Cowboys again suffer a season ending collapse out of the playoffs do we still ask how they and Garrett were able to turn it around?

Now what would Winston Wolf say in week 7 about the Cowboys' "sudden return to prominence"?

If the boys Fall apart obviously this discussion is for naught.

You're right, lets get back to discussing important and under discussed topics. I'll Start: Hacket and Marrone need to better utilize spiller and "get him in space". Don't you agree?

:nana:

Edited by Lord_MacDonald

I too think their offensive line is a GIGANTIC reason for their success. THIS is the lesson I would take from the Cowboys this year.

Ya, they are opening holes for Murray and protecting Romo very well. Still not sure what happened to ours. 2-3yrs ago that seemed like a strength we had. Guys like Urbik and Pears were balling out.

I had the same thought. The Bills seem to devalue interior line play, and what is this getting them? In contrast, Jerry Jones, that draft mastermind, picks G Zack Martin in the first round and he's now in the conversation for offensive ROY.

Link

It makes you wonder whether we would have been better having Martin at Guard, our 1st round pick 2015, Stevie Johnson and Mike Williams playing, as opposed to our current OL, Watkins, no 1st rounder next year and Bryce Brown on our bench.

It makes you wonder whether we would have been better having Martin at Guard, our 1st round pick 2015, Stevie Johnson and Mike Williams playing, as opposed to our current OL, Watkins, no 1st rounder next year and Bryce Brown on our bench.

I would have taken that in a heartbeat but this staff tried to save their jobs (the wrong way).