Orton is mediocre

papazoid

On the first play of the half, Bills quarterback Kyle Orton threw an interception straight to Patriots linebacker Jamie Collins that led to New England’s only first-half touchdown.

Late in the half, Patriots defensive end Chandler Jones beat Bills left tackle Cordy Glenn to get to Kyle Orton, reach over his back for a strip sack and then recover the fumble himself, which put the Patriots at the Bills 24-yard line and led to a field goal.....

Finally, Bills running back C.J. Spiller fumbled with just six seconds left in the first half, which allowed the Patriots to complete one pass to the sideline and set up a 53-yard field goal for Stephen Gostkowski.

http://www.buffalobi...gland-patriots/

an interception which leads to the opposing offense having to go more than 60 yards does not constitute as giving them points

1st and 10 at NE 39 (14:53) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to J.Edelman to NE 47 for 8 yards (N.Bradham). Caught at NE

2nd and 2 at NE 47 (14:19) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short right to S.Vereen [M.Lawson]. Underthrown under pressure, receiver in flat at NE 49.

3rd and 2 at NE 47 (14:14) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle to J.Edelman to BUF 40 for 13 yards (C.Graham). Caught at 50, crossing to left.

1st and 10 at BUF 40 (13:42) J.Edelman left end pushed ob at BUF 30 for 10 yards (D.Searcy). End-around.

1st and 10 at BUF 30 (13:16) T.Brady pass incomplete deep right to J.Edelman. Overthrown, receiver in rear corner of end zone. PENALTY on BUF-D.Williams, Defensive Pass Interference, 29 yards, enforced at BUF 30 - No Play.

1st and 1 at BUF 1 (13:08) T.Brady pass short right to T.Wright for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN. Caught 7 yds. into end zone, crossing towards corner.

yeah Orton just gave them those points

Edited by JC2002

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have seen throughout his career, Kyle Orton is Ryan Fitzpatrick. The guy has a strong mentality, he's ready to throw the ball 40 times a game, and he has a pretty good arm. He is going to make 2-3 terrible decisions that are going to lose games/keep games closer than they should be.

That being said, and as an EJ fan, I think that starting KO for a while is just what the doctor ordered for the team for the rest of the season, and for EJ as well. Whatever happened, we all saw that EJ regressed in the SD & HOU games. I don't think he should have been throwing 30+ passes, and I think we should have been moving the pocket more, but he regressed. I think that this is an opportunity for him to be able to sit back and watch a QB who just goes out there and plays, and really grow from this.

KO isn't the answer at QB for this team long term, he is a caretaker. He is a guy we can put in there, and possibly win some games, and I think in the meantime, EJ will be growing into a QB who can start in this league for quite a few years going forward.

Every Qb wins some games and loses some games sometimes i swear you guys are looking for a unicorn to play QB

Fitzpatrick is about as much like Orton as Orton is like Tom Brady

From what I have seen throughout his career, Kyle Orton is Ryan Fitzpatrick. The guy has a strong mentality, he's ready to throw the ball 40 times a game, and he has a pretty good arm. He is going to make 2-3 terrible decisions that are going to lose games/keep games closer than they should be.

That being said, and as an EJ fan, I think that starting KO for a while is just what the doctor ordered for the team for the rest of the season, and for EJ as well. Whatever happened, we all saw that EJ regressed in the SD & HOU games. I don't think he should have been throwing 30+ passes, and I think we should have been moving the pocket more, but he regressed. I think that this is an opportunity for him to be able to sit back and watch a QB who just goes out there and plays, and really grow from this.

KO isn't the answer at QB for this team long term, he is a caretaker. He is a guy we can put in there, and possibly win some games, and I think in the meantime, EJ will be growing into a QB who can start in this league for quite a few years going forward.

I don't know why people love to use the term "regressed". He had a couple of tough games against good teams. The team around him sucks (as proven by the struggles when EJ isn't the QB). To me "regressed" would mean that he had a long stretch of good/great games followed by a long stretch of crappy ones. But I am being nit picky. Anyway, I agree with you that the benching was probably a good thing. It lets EJ relax and watch a few games and it shows everyone else that they problems on offense are not all caused by EJ. Has he played poorly, especially in the last two games, certainly. Can he play better, I think so. I thought it at the time Orton went in and I still expect it to happen that Orton will get the next two games. If he can win both or atleast play great in both without the stupid mistakes of the last two games, then he continues. Otherwise EJ goes back in after the bye and gets the rest of the year to show what he has. I am very confident in saying that Orton is not taking this team to the playoffs.

Edited by Maddog69

I'm watching the pats* game for the first time right now and I am midway through the 3rd. I have no idea where anyone get these stupid opinions from. If I were to just form an opinion by reading posts and not watching the game I would think the bills were 0-16 @ week 6 with out scoring a point and the opposing offense runs and passes for 500 yards each a game. It's ridiculous how people over react over 1 missed play here and there. The no blitzing thread wtf. The first few drives they sent more than 4 almost every play I stopped counting after that.

If you were to follow the game via shoutbox you'd think the Bills never committed a legit penalty.

Edited by Rob's House

Every Qb wins some games and loses some games sometimes i swear you guys are looking for a unicorn to play QB

Fitzpatrick is about as much like Orton as Orton is like Tom Brady

Of course every QB wins some and loses some (even EJ right?). That being said, the problem that I had with Orton Sunday (and in the Detroit game) was how long he stared his receiver down in both of the picks. Didn't look away, didn't notice that the DB was breaking on the pass before he even started to throw it, just looked him in the eyes, and threw it.

I like Orton, I think he's got a good arm, and I like his mentality. I don't like his complete lack of pocket awareness, and I don't really love how he locks onto receivers sometimes. That's all. I'm not looking for Peyton Manning out of the guy (nor was I looking for that out of EJ).

You have low expectations my friend.

I think we have two bad QBs.

I think you expect too much. Nobody's perfect. Even the elite QBs have the occasional mistake. When your detractors greatest criticism of your game is that you started at your own 26, threw 3 passes, and then the other team had it at their 39 (which sounds curiously similar to a 3 and out followed by a punt) you know you're doing something right.

i will say that the officiating is worse than i thought.

Yeah, I probably should have picked a different week to share that observation.

Does anyone actually think Orton is good?

As I see it he isn't Tom Brady but at the moment he is our best option. With good protection he can complete a lot of passes. If Orton wasn't good he wouldn't still be in the league after 10 years.

Again...right now he is our best option. I'll go with the coaching staff on their decision. They know more than I, and most of us here ever will about our team.

As I see it he isn't Tom Brady but at the moment he is our best option. With good protection he can complete a lot of passes. If Orton wasn't good he wouldn't still be in the league after 10 years.

Again...right now he is our best option. I'll go with the coaching staff on their decision. They know more than I, and most of us here ever will about our team.

I dont disagree he is our best option. Doesn't make him a viable starter

I think the only QBs I would have Orton over are as follows

Geno

Austin Davis (Though he might be good in a few years)

Glennon/McCown

Bortles (again right now)

Fitz

Locker/Whitehurst

Cousins

That puts him at 24th starter. Thats bad folks.

I've said this in 4 or 5 threads on QB's thus far today

So let me repeat myself ....

Was that a deer I saw frozen in headlights?

Two INT's in two consecutive games in the 1st QRT?

Did the Ghost of RJ posses KO or was it the Ghost of Trent Edwards?

Looks a lot more like rj than trent. Not sure that helps me fell better in any way about anything.

I also nominate the title of this thread for the "no $chitt Sherlock" annual award.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Of course every QB wins some and loses some (even EJ right?). That being said, the problem that I had with Orton Sunday (and in the Detroit game) was how long he stared his receiver down in both of the picks. Didn't look away, didn't notice that the DB was breaking on the pass before he even started to throw it, just looked him in the eyes, and threw it.

I like Orton, I think he's got a good arm, and I like his mentality. I don't like his complete lack of pocket awareness, and I don't really love how he locks onto receivers sometimes. That's all. I'm not looking for Peyton Manning out of the guy (nor was I looking for that out of EJ).

In the Lions game he was firing that pick to the outside based off the presnap read and the DB did a good job of baiting him into that throw which is not uncommon for someone who had played one live game in the past several years

In the Pats game that wasn't staring down the receiver the pats knew Orton loves that seam throw and Orton went to the well once too often essentially banking on his arm strength to be able to fire it in there .

Orton against the Lions had the quickest release of all Qbs that week now what changed from the Lions game to the Pats is that he Pats were sitting on everything short so we had to send receivers deeper to take advantage of what the Pats were doing but it also opens you up to sacks if your Oline is struggling but thats why the offense was much more successful in the first half than the second . We've seen Orton show good and bad pocket awareness at times the first two weeks hes a pocket passer and hes not looking to run he wants to deliver the ball. he could take the quick dump downs all the time but when you are not running the ball well and you are playing a team like the Pats you have to stand in there and take some chances because you are going to need some points to win against a team like that.

Now next week against the Vikings and then the Jets game you are not expecting them to score even 20 points so you would play a much different style of game in those matchups .

You have low expectations my friend.

I think we have two bad QBs.

define bad what is it based on ? you claim low expectations but have yet to set a bar.

I'm watching the pats* game for the first time right now and I am midway through the 3rd. I am convinced that a majority of posters are either blind or don't watch the games and make crap up.

Can you expand upon that? Maybe give your thoughts as to why you think that fans "make crap up", are "blind", or "did you watch the game"(s)?

Geno

Glennon/McCown

Fitz

Locker/Whitehurst

Cousins

again you haven't said why

Geno

Glennon/McCown

Fitz

Locker/Whitehurst

Cousins

You may be right. All we can d is hope for 2 things: He plays well enough to get us a playoff birth, and...EJ develops into a great QB learning behind him. Crap if the 2nd thing doesn't happen we are back to square 1.