Sammy Watkins Not Living Up To No. 4 Overall Let Alone Another 1st. Ro

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Orton shut him down more than anything today. He refused to look at Revis side of the field until mid way thru 2nd half. Even though sammy was getting separation. When he finally went to him Sammy faked Revis out, made a nice gain and nearly scored a TD. Sammy has the upper body strength and speed to beat Revis. This bodes well for the future IMO

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

They should design plays where Sammy throws the ball to himself. :lol:

Sort of like that catch last week. More of a tap to himself but still.

So your point is Whaley really botched this evaluation then. Both the QB position and wasting 2 first round picks on a receiver?

So if your the coaches why do waste 2 1st round picks and only target him 3 times in this game. It's either the player, coaching or both. A rather large indictment on the current football operations if you ask me.

Who asked you?

I'm actually surprised that it took 6 weeks for the "bust" movement to get going.

Never too late, is it? Moulds was a bust too if I remember correctly. A. Williams too but we sure missed him in that game.

Ya think he'd look just slightly better if Tom Brady was throwing the ball to him? Or a QB that is like a 7 out of 10 or better?

EJ is a total bust and he should be sitting on the bench. I've said that for a long time.

But Orton isn't a hell of a lot better. That is worth remembering.

Orton is an improvement, no doubt, and he should be the starter this year.

But he is not really a 7/10 QB.

Wake me up when we actually find a QB worth two $*@(%.

Until then, we will struggle.

It's kind of funny how many fairly knowledgeable Bills fans don't catch onto this, for whatever reason.

but that's the point, isn't it? a very risky trade was made without a decent qb to make that trade payoff. this was a "help me now" desperation move and i don't like the odds on it paying off this year.

but that's the point, isn't it? a very risky trade was made without a decent qb to make that trade payoff. this was a "help me now" desperation move and i don't like the odds on it paying off this year.

Myopic panic moves rarely work out in sports to appease the casual fan base or even worse moves to save ones job. Look who made the myopic herp derp trades at the baseball deadline (Beane and Dombrowski) and look who didn't. It's nice to see Baltimore and the Royals fighting for a chance at the World Series right now.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

So one of the greatedt corners ever to play the game shuts down our rookie WR and he's a bust?

Horsecrap. Absolute horsecrap, and so is the premise of this thread. Nonsense. This is perhaps the most inaccurate statement I have ever seen on all of the boards here, including PPP. Consider that.

I was at the game, 20 rows up from the end zone, and therefore I watched Sammy Vs. Revis the entire game. That's all I watched.

To sum it up: I was making fun of the Pats fans around me with "Jock Strap Island".....because Revis was losing his, over and over. They had no reply at all, and keep in mind these were the same people that were talking smack all game(My particular favorite "Spiller is overrated!....right before had that 40 yard kickoff return :lol:). But, all they had on the subject of Revis was: Silence :lol:...and the sheepish look on their face because they knew I was right. Them trying to run the ball on us was also a source of much hilarity...for me, and also produced the same sheepish look.

Watkins was 5 yards wide open more than 10 times. Not only that, Revis FAILED to press him all but 1(one) time(and unfortunately that was a critical 3rd down, where 0 of our WRs were open). IIRC there was only 1 other play that I would call a tie off the line of scrimmage. The rest of the time, Watkins made Revis look like Just A Guy. Watkins made Revis's vaunted press into a joke. It was hilarious to watch Sammy either chuck his hands right away and run by him, or step at him, and make Revis jump back. But the best plays were the ones where Sammy just ran by Revis like he wasn't even there.

This entire thread is the opposite of right.

The only reason Sammy didn't have "stats" :rolleyes: (Have I mentioned I'm an analytics expert, and I'm quite tired of amateurs trying to do my job?) is because for reasons passing understanding Kyle Orton wouldn't throw it to him. Or, he held it too long, Or, the O line let their D line through and they got there too quickly for Orton to throw it.

But, under no circumstances did the Patriots, and especially not Revis, shut down Sammy Watkins.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Week 6 approx 26 catches for about 300 yards, and non-existent against a "true" shutdown corner. This guy isn't even close to AJ Green at this point. I don't see any play making ability downfield like you see with Green. His long stat is 30 yards.

I hate this trade.

Did you hate it when it happened on draft day?

The issue with the Watkins trade is that it actually was all about the QB, not the WR !

You don't get the expensive toy until you have a QB. If 1/2 of what OCinBuffalo posted is accurate, it proves that point. Why go out and spend a couple 1's to get a potentially great WR and not have a QB that can throw him the ball ? We saw that EJ couldn't, not it looks like Orton can't. And don't tell me it's Hackett, QB's have reads and progressions, there were a lot of times rton actually had time and still didn't pull the trigger.

So, where are we ? We have a struggling O Line, a mediocre QB, potentially very good or great WR's/RB's and a strong defense (albeit one that struggled in the 2nd half) --- translation: 7-9, 8-8 or if we are lucky 9-7 !!

Not good enough to end playoff drought and too good to land a legit 2nd round QB prospect at, what the 48th overall pick !!

That's why I don't do the Sammy trade -- I do EVERYTHING, yes, EVERYTHING to get the franchise QB FIRST and then I build, not the other way around.

He's a rooking going against one of the best CB's in the game. It was a learning experience for him that's only going to make him better.

did you even watch the game? if anything Revis learned a thing or two.

Week 6 approx 26 catches for about 300 yards, and non-existent against a "true" shutdown corner. This guy isn't even close to AJ Green at this point. I don't see any play making ability downfield like you see with Green. His long stat is 30 yards.

I hate this trade.

BLASPHEME!!

How dare you dampen the enthusiasm for this generational talent!

Question: Who is the last 1st round WR drafted to truly make a difference on a top tier team?

BLASPHEME!!

How dare you dampen the enthusiasm for this generational talent!

Question: Who is the last 1st round WR drafted to truly make a difference on a top tier team?

Randy Moss with the Vikings and that goes back around 16 years and cost the 21st pick overall and NOT 2 potentially high 1st round picks.

did you even watch the game? if anything Revis learned a thing or two.

Yeah, the logic is like Watkins can learn something from this game but an elite, experienced corner like Revis can't :doh:

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I thought Sammy gave Revis more work than AJ Green did. The problem was that Orton and the Bills coaches didn't believe he could win.

Its hard to criticize play callers when you're not there but if I had the whole week to prepare, I would have had 3-4 set plays to get Sammy the ball in the 1st series to at least make the Pats think about it and keep that safety honest. The Bills just made it a lot harder by playing with half the field and tight coverage.

To me the trade only made sense if they believe EJ was ready to lead this team now. They clearly don't have that figured out....but it isn't Sammy's fault. He's a legit #1WR for years to come.

Watkins did fine yesterday. I honestly thought the coaches were trying to give him some time to get used to Revis. Why would you start dumping the ball to him right off the bat? I knew he just a few but they were significant. I don't regret that trade yet.