A Football Life-Doug Flutie

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the best D in history

Look it up. D gave up 249 yards/game in 99, #1 overall and had to bring it all day long every game because their starting QB was incapable of throwing a simple out pattern.

Not the best D in history

Look it up. D gave up 249 yards/game in 99, #1 overall and had to bring it all day long every game because their starting QB was incapable of throwing a simple out pattern.

I'd take Flutie over any other Bills qb from the last 14 years. He was the last man to get this team into the playoffs. Coincidentally, the Bills oline has stunk since 1999. Or is it not a coincidence?

Easy to be a "good QB" when you have a top D behind you. If you think Flutie ever got the Bills to the playoffs, you never watched a game back then.

We wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs w/out Flutie. RJ was terrible, but the schmucks on Buffalo sports talk radio did nothing but denigrate Flutie. This is where most of the Flutie hate came from. The Bills were a different, much better team with the little general at the helm. A lot of Bills fans didn't appreciate him at the time, and they still don't. In 1998 there was a lot of talk about the Bills moving out of Buffalo. Flutie put a lot of fannies in the seats, and we may not even have a team to root for if he hadn't come along.

We have a top defense right now, so we should certainly make the playoffs, no?

Misused? Flutie was a game manager but because he was short people wanted to believe he was magical. The truth is he was medicore. I can say this now as a Flutie hater and RJ supporter. yes Flutie was a better QB than RJ. Yet to me the issue wasn't that it was seeing if RJ could become better on the field but we'll never know. As everyone wants to forget RJ's games against the Rams and 49ers before the famed bootleg. I mean if the Bills D doesn't fall apart late against the Rams the Bills would have had a 2 game winning streak under RJ but people want to forget about that.

Truth. The Bills offense failed to score 20pts in at least five, maybe six road games in 99. Somehow it was a surprise we didn't light up the best D we played all year in the playoffs. Vinateri pulled an Alex Henery in Foxboro for a W. There was a home game vs the Giants towards the end too where their entire secondary was injured & we couldn't throw worth a lick. And that Jags team we beat 17-16 was an offense team.

As mentioned he was good vs the Roughriders though so there's that.

I'd take Flutie over any other Bills qb from the last 14 years. He was the last man to get this team into the playoffs. Coincidentally, the Bills oline has stunk since 1999. Or is it not a coincidence?

I was a big RJ fan (and still have like 5 RJ shirts and jerseys)-- but I agree. Flutie was a winner and gamer.

Over Fergy and Kemp, without question? Really? I think it's at least a question. Especially since it was such a short lived stint with no playoff wins.

Not in my mind but I guess you could make an argument. My knowledge of them is limited, but I have a hard time putting guys like Kemp who played in the 60s on even footing with players in the modern era. The game was so much faster and more advanced and the players so much more athletic by the time Flutie came along than when Kemp played. Looking back over the records and stats I guess you could make an argument for Fergie. His career wasn't that distinguished but he did have a few good seasons in there.

Misused? Flutie was a game manager but because he was short people wanted to believe he was magical. The truth is he was medicore. I can say this now as a Flutie hater and RJ supporter. yes Flutie was a better QB than RJ. Yet to me the issue wasn't that it was seeing if RJ could become better on the field but we'll never know. As everyone wants to forget RJ's games against the Rams and 49ers before the famed bootleg. I mean if the Bills D doesn't fall apart late against the Rams the Bills would have had a 2 game winning streak under RJ but people want to forget about that.

Misused as in benched for the clearly inferior Rob Johnson. If I recall correctly I remember watching games the following season and watching Johnson play horrific football and they kept Flutie on the sidelines. Eventually they would put Flutie in late in the game and there would be a spark but no miracles. The coaching staff seemed hell bent to give Rob the job and he wasnt up to it.

IMO- Flutie got jobbed by the coaching staff or perhaps whomever else was pulling the strings. The fact that RJ was essentially out of the league after his stint in Bufallo speaks volumes. Flutie was no good in SD but the guy was old by then. What can I say, I loved the guy and will never get the hatred by some Bills fans.

Misused as in benched for the clearly inferior Rob Johnson. If I recall correctly I remember watching games the following season and watching Johnson play horrific football and they kept Flutie on the sidelines. Eventually they would put Flutie in late in the game and there would be a spark but no miracles. The coaching staff seemed hell bent to give Rob the job and he wasnt up to it.

IMO- Flutie got jobbed by the coaching staff or perhaps whomever else was pulling the strings. The fact that RJ was essentially out of the league after his stint in Bufallo speaks volumes. Flutie was no good in SD but the guy was old by then. What can I say, I loved the guy and will never get the hatred by some Bills fans.

maybe it was the way he threw teammates under the bus, or perhaps it is that he is sainted here even though he never won a playoff game. The better question is, why don't more people realize they both sucked?

I get it that people here love his Uncle Rico story - if only they'd have put in Dougie - but defenses had figured his game out.

maybe it was the way he threw teammates under the bus, or perhaps it is that he is sainted here even though he never won a playoff game. The better question is, why don't more people realize they both sucked?

I get it that people here love his Uncle Rico story - if only they'd have put in Dougie - but defenses had figured his game out.

Both true.

To be fair, he didn't get to play in the playoffs last time he got us there.

Edit: And if defenses had him figured out, how'd he win 6 of his last 8 games before being replaced?

Edited by Rob's House

a frickin' all-world defense helped the team, not just Flutie, to win.

God I'm so tired o hearing that horse ****. Yes, it was a good defense, but if that defense was so dominant why couldn't they win a goddamn thing when Flutie wasn't playing.

This kind of crap makes me think the Bills deserve the curse. A dynamic but unconventional player comes in, makes us a winning team, and because he didn't put up big stats people say he just rode the coat tails of the defense. He played to win the game, unlike that California candy ass who kept taking sacks to protect his damn rating.

God I'm so tired o hearing that horse ****. Yes, it was a good defense, but if that defense was so dominant why couldn't they win a goddamn thing when Flutie wasn't playing.

This kind of crap makes me think the Bills deserve the curse. A dynamic but unconventional player comes in, makes us a winning team, and because he didn't put up big stats people say he just rode the coat tails of the defense. He played to win the game, unlike that California candy ass who kept taking sacks to protect his damn rating.

you must be mistaking me for someone who thinks Rob Johnson was good. I'm sorry, if Flutie was half as good as his supporters think he was, he would have done more with his chances. It's a shame the team didn't have a good enough QB.