Scathing NY Post article on Jets

YoloinOhio

To be fair, Barnwell has an article in Grantland this week largely refuting the Daily News piece and suggesting that Idzik in fact knows what he is doing, but that his plan might take another year or so to come together. Barnwell is very often right.

What exactly is the plan? I think he is trying to get Rex fired but he better be careful he doesn't get himself canned too

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills should be glad they only have little old Jerry Sullivan to deal with.

Idzik has been GM for 2 drafts. They needed a QB (just like we did) and he drafted one last year (just like we did). Their 2nd year QB is struggling and is still the starter. Our struggling 2nd year QB was benched and replaced by a semi-retired guy who was brought in at the 11th hour because our FO had no cogent plan this offseason for a backup (Tuel, Lewis, Dixon and Palmer were fine examples of this team's continuing tradition of QB futility, from one GM to then next...) . As in Buffalo, if the Jets would only bench their QB and play their backup, they too may be hailed as geniuses if the guy wins a game. The fans would forgive and the press would fawn.

The Post article lists among Idzik's "sins", guys like Milliner, who they knock because he is injured a lot--and not a "shutdown corner". Hey, the Bills blew a first round pick on Gilmore, who has been injured and is not and looks like he will never be a shutdown corner. They also mention some 4th round pick (Saunders) who was released. Yet the Bills released a 3rd round WR who they famously chose over the next SB champion QB in a year that the Bills desperately needed a new QB. And then there was the often injured 2nd round NT they released. Not to mention the 2nd round O-lineman thye drafted this year who can't seem to contribute to a line that needs a lot of help.

Yeah, the Jets have, among many misfortunes, the unpleasant task of being covered by a less benign press than that which covers the Bills. But I think Ryan goes before Idzik, obviously.

Edited by Mr. WEO

The Bills should be glad they only have little old Jerry Sullivan to deal with.

Idzik has been GM for 2 drafts. They needed a QB (just like we did) and he drafted one last year (just like we did). Their 2nd year QB is struggling and is still the starter. Our struggling 2nd year QB was benched and replaced by a semi-retired guy who was brought in at the 11th hour because our FO had no cogent plan this offseason for a backup (Tuel, Lewis, Dixon and Palmer were fine examples of this team's continuing tradition of QB futility, from one GM to then next...) . As in Buffalo, if the Jets would only bench their QB and play their backup, they too may be hailed as geniuses if the guy wins a game. The fans would forgive and the press would fawn.

The Post article lists among Idzik's "sins", guys like Milliner, who they knock because he is injured a lot--and not a "shutdown corner". Hey, the Bills blew a first round pick on Gilmore, who has been injured and is not and looks like he will never be a shutdown corner. They also mention some 4th round pick (Saunders) who was released. Yet the Bills released a 3rd round WR who they famously chose over the next SB champion QB in a year that the Bills desperately needed a new QB. And then there was the often injured 2nd round NT they released. Not to mention the 2nd round O-lineman thye drafted this year who can't seem to contribute to a line that needs a lot of help.

Yeah, the Jets have, among many misfortunes, the unpleasant task of being covered by a less benign press than the Bills. But I think Ryan goes before Idzik, obviously.

If our starting QB missed a team meeting to "go to the movies" (or perhaps Geno & Friends went somewhere else that would look worse to the public?) the night before a game and followed that up with 27 yards passing and an INT before getting benched in a 31-0 loss, I would hope the Buffalo media would let him have it.

Wow, and some here think the Bills have been mismanaged?

Well. They have been. I think 14 straight years of not making the postseason speaks to that.

Everything is relative.

I read that article and it is so incredibly interesting to see the long-term negative effects an improper GM and ineffective team management can have on an NFL franchise. As BILLS fans we tend to have a myopic view of the NFL and just how poorly other teams are managed b/c of the apathetic management of the BILLS during a span of time between 2004 and 2010, but while the QB situation has been mismanaged IMHO over the last two years, Doug Whaley has done an otherwise superb job in nearly every other aspect of FO management. Nix, to some degree started things in a new direction, but over the last two Off-Seasons, and certainly since Whaley has assumed control, this team has significantly improved its general roster talent and depth in a very short period of time. The JETS have much to be concerned about regarding their future, while the BILLS for the first time in a long time can take a sigh relief as Whaley commands the helm of the football operations and believe with some confidence that the team is in good hands. No, Whaley has not been perfect as I mentioned the QB debacle, but many other ways, he's done a hell of a job.

Well. They have been. I think 14 straight years of not making the postseason speaks to that.

Everything is relative.

I meant some people think we are mismanaged in 2014. You know, the crime of not game KO in training camp. Vick went to Jets camp? How did that work out for them?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Listening to Mike Greenberg and Stephen A Smith this week (both Jets fans), I couldn't help but laugh with glee. They are now saying many of the same things Bills fans said years ago about how their team is built, run, and coached. They have QBs not preparing or learning the playbook (Billy Joe Hobart). Even called the owner "cheap", and said he'd rather pocket the money. They are a complete mess right now.

Ah, it's good to be a Bills fan right now... :thumbsup:

If our starting QB missed a team meeting to "go to the movies" (or perhaps Geno & Friends went somewhere else that would look worse to the public?) the night before a game and followed that up with 27 yards passing and an INT before getting benched in a 31-0 loss, I would hope the Buffalo media would let him have it.

They wouldn't be calling for Whaley's head...which is the whole point here.

They wouldn't be calling for Whaley's head...which is the whole point here.

Disagree again. If the Bills were 1-4, had passed up on numerous free agents who could help a crappy roster while maintaining $24 million in cap room (and ticket prices among the highest in the league I might add), Whaley would be catching it. Meanwhile, Idzik has spent 2 years hyping the draft as his plan to rebuild the roster. He took 12 players in the last draft and four of them have already been cut (again, it's not like the roster is dripping in talent). He's done a horrendous job and members of the press are not overreacting to say so. IMO of course.

To be fair, 1 out of his 19 draft picks has been a viable player. His plan seems terrible. If he hits on all 7 picks next year he'll almost be at 30%. Terrible.

So, you already know that regarding his 2013 and 2014 drafts? Interesting. Did you read Barnwell's article?

What exactly is the plan? I think he is trying to get Rex fired but he better be careful he doesn't get himself canned too

Here, read the article for yourself:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/new-york-jets-running-backs/

I meant some people think we are mismanaged in 2014. You know, the crime of not game KO in training camp. Vick went to Jets camp? How did that work out for them?

It's funny to me how Bills fans love to make fun of the Jets, but the fact remains that, for all their problems, the Jets have been a far more successful franchise than the Bills over the past 15 years, and even over the past five years. Jets fans may be disappointed, but that's partly because the Jets' two biggest rivals (the Giants and the Pats) have been wildly successful over that time frame. Edited by mannc

Here, read the article for yourself:

http://grantland.com...-running-backs/

It's funny to me how Bills fans love to make fun of the Jets, but the fact remains that, for all their problems, the Jets have been a far more successful franchise than the Bills over the past 15 years, and even over the past five years. Jets fans may be disappointed, but that's partly because the Jets' two biggest rivals (the Giants and the Pats) have been wildly successful over that time frame.

Well you got me there. Idzik and the Jets ought to be getting a pass for sucking now because they were more successful than the Bills the last 15 years.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Well you got me there. Idzik and the Jets ought to be getting a pass for sucking now because they were more successful than the Bills the last 15 years.

Not my point at all. Idzik has been on the job for a year and a half and the team was in bad shape when he took over. The point of the article, if you read it, is that Idzik has a long-term plan that will take more time to bear fruit and that the Jets might well bottom out this year. It made little sense for the team to spend big in free agency this year just to try to get to 9-7. It remains to be seen whether his draft picks pan out, but he has stockpiled a lot of them. Unlike the Bills, the Jets will probably be in a position to draft a franchise QB this year.

Not my point at all. Idzik has been on the job for a year and a half and the team was in bad shape when he took over. The point of the article, if you read it, is that Idzik has a long-term plan that will take more time to bear fruit and that the Jets might well bottom out this year. It made little sense for the team to spend big in free agency this year just to try to get to 9-7. It remains to be seen whether his draft picks pan out, but he has stockpiled a lot of them. Unlike the Bills, the Jets will probably be in a position to draft a franchise QB this year.

Carcass for Marcus?