SHOUT-OUT TO NATE HACKETT!

#34fan

Normally, I agree but our goals should be higher this year. This team should be a playoff team. We have very real problems on offense. It's not good enough. We constantly throw passes short of the marker on 3rd down. He has not been able to get Spiller in space.

It's a long season but I think Marrone's loyalty to Hackett is going to hurt us. We scored one offensive td yesterday. That's asking a ton from our defense. Does anyone not think a guy like Norv Turner couldn't get more out of our offense? It's needs to be much better and if we don't make the playoffs, they will be the main reason.

I agree, but how many times are we going to rehash all the negative things over and over and over again? I am as sick of seeing that same shotgun running play up the middle as everyone else is or the 3rd and 9 pass that goes 2 yards with a defender there to immediately tackle the receiver, but the fact of the matter is we beat a very tough defense on the road yesterday and not more than 9 hours after the game was over this guy (who does this all the time and is actually on my ignore list) is stating the obvious...again. Hackett needs to develop just as much as Marrone and most of our young players. The fact is, if EJ didn't have such glaring accuracy issues this would be a 4-1 team at this point and that is damn good regardless of Hacketts shortcomings.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I, for one, will be VERY surprised if Nate Hackett doesn't read this. And I'll be even MORE surprised if he doesn't give it a lot of thought whilst gameplanning for the NE game.

Thank God someone said what all of us were thinking.

Please explain how Lee Smith will create some sort of mismatch. Or Chandler for that matter. He runs like he is in quicksand. The fact that you think playing 2 or more of our TE's will create favorable mismatches discredits your whole post.

I think what the OP is referring to is the Cowboys multiple TE formations sometimes called an "elephant offense'' is primarily utilized for run blocking. Dallas uses 3 TE's on the field at the same time very successfully to help DeMarco Murray in their run game.

I happen to agree that run game needs help big time. if your going to run a max protect offense, then perhaps why not put some offensive tackles in place of the TE's to help with the run game. The current Bills TE's are almost as useless as Pears.

I agree, but how many times are we going to rehash all the negative things over and over and over again? I am as sick of seeing that same shotgun running play up the middle as everyone else is or the 3rd and 9 pass that goes 2 yards with a defender there to immediately tackle the receiver, but the fact of the matter is we beat a very tough defense on the road yesterday and not more than 9 hours after the game was over this guy (who does this all the time and is actually on my ignore list) is stating the obvious...again. Hackett needs to develop just as much as Marrone and most of our young players. The fact is, if EJ didn't have such glaring accuracy issues this would be a 4-1 team at this point and that is damn good regardless of Hacketts shortcomings.

I'm just saying we are settling. I think we have a top 10 talent roster in the entire league. Even with Orton getting 300 yards, we scored one td and not until the 4th quarter. Against most teams (including Detroit), it isn't good enough. We struggle to put points on the board and that's going to come back to bite us. We are asking too much from our defense.

I want creative and we have little. Sean Payton or Chip Kelly won't get more out of offense? It needs to better for us to be a playoff team, which we shoudl be.

Hackett is in over his head. For three quarters it was like the Bills had no WR. The offense looked exactly the same as it did in the previous four games. Marrone needs to take over the offense, but he won't. He fixed the problem with special teams by using starters not a coaching change. I believe Hackett will be Marrone's undoing.

I think every starting LB in the NFL can run faster and has better hands than Lee Smith. I think that's a mismatch in favor of the defense.

The line is awful. Trick plays usually require time to develop. That is a recipe for disaster. The TE's are truly awful. Almost every team in the league is running out of the spread.

Just think if a team lined up with a FB and two TE's. The Bills would counter with their best run stopping LB in Spikes. The spread forces the defense to use smaller guys. If the line was better and CJ could see a hole they would be able to run just fine. Marshawn runs just fine out of the pistol and shot gun.

Our o-line sucks at blocking on screens, and CJ also stinks. Etc. etc.

I disagree on Chandler 100%... With a few exceptions, he's proved himself to be an excellent route runner, and sure-handed receiver... Lee Smith, is harder to defend because we really don't see him a whole lot. What I HAVE seen of Smith tells me we're NOT getting the best out of him.. Which brings me to my next question, which is What part do you feel Coaching plays in these failures???

Assuming that what you guys have said is true, how do you reconcile these things against the fact that Doug Marrone is a former pro O-lineman, AND pro O-line COACH... Nate Hackett supposedliy has offense in his bloodline, and was OFFENSIVE QUALITY CONTROL for the Bills in 2008-09!

I get it, you think the TE's aren't good enough. -SO MAKE THEM BETTER. The O-line can't block worth s#!@. -CHANGE THAT. Who made this 53-man roster any-effing-way? How can Hack and Marrone POSSIBLY get any kind of pass?

Bottom line.... There's offensive possibiliities this team simply refuses to exploit. Worse still, there's talent and weapons that go respectively untapped and ignored. That's the coaches fault, and they should FIX IT. -If they can't, then they're collective resumes are100% worthless. -No big deal. Just fourteen years and counting, people.

Hackett is in over his head. For three quarters it was like the Bills had no WR. The offense looked exactly the same as it did in the previous four games. Marrone needs to take over the offense, but he won't. He fixed the problem with special teams by using starters not a coaching change. I believe Hackett will be Marrone's undoing.

I couldn't agree more. That one coach will probably sink the entire regime.

I think what the OP is referring to is the Cowboys multiple TE formations sometimes called an "elephant offense'' is primarily utilized for run blocking. Dallas uses 3 TE's on the field at the same time very successfully to help DeMarco Murray in their run game.

I happen to agree that run game needs help big time. if your going to run a max protect offense, then perhaps why not put some offensive tackles in place of the TE's to help with the run game. The current Bills TE's are almost as useless as Pears.

I think the Cowboys tremendous OLine is a far bigger contributor to Murray's success at this point. That's what happens when you wisely notice a need (aging OLine) at a vital position group, cut ties, and devote 3 years straight of Number 1 picks to it (and hit on all of them). We, on the other hand, are relying on one great 2nd round pick, one OK first round pick (sorry, but Wood is not great, just average IMO), a bust first round pick, and some journeymen and rookies.

What? Not entirely sure what game you were watching.... but the Bills only ran 22 times for 49 yards at Detroit. The average rush was 2.2 yards per carry. Spiller had 10 rushes for 8 yards, and kept getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage. CJ has trouble breaking three tackles and making yards after contact like Freddy does, so obviously he sucks according to many here.

Then Orton threw 43 times, which is just about the exact same numbers from the week before at the Texans.

Stating that the O line simply sucks is a gross understatement, and laying the blame on the two rookies starting is not entirely justified either. RG Erik Pears is a downright joke, and shouldn't even be on the field.

The Bills O line sucks big time, as do their TE's. The play calling, and scheme also suck. Kyle Orton was calling audibles and changing plays that kept things working. That said, Nate Hackett is a JV OC, and should be replaced.

Umm I'm not sure what post you are reading, where did I saw the run game was effective? I was commenting on the fact that it's when they do run, now it's not creative enough. You've actually proved my point even more.

The play calling has nothing to do with the OL not blocking well or CJ not finding holes. Would you prefer Hackett run the ball himself? Or block the DL himself?

Execution.

Normally, I agree but our goals should be higher this year. This team should be a playoff team. We have very real problems on offense. It's not good enough. We constantly throw passes short of the marker on 3rd down. He has not been able to get Spiller in space.

It's a long season but I think Marrone's loyalty to Hackett is going to hurt us. We scored one offensive td yesterday. That's asking a ton from our defense. Does anyone not think a guy like Norv Turner couldn't get more out of our offense? It's needs to be much better and if we don't make the playoffs, they will be the main reason.

This is where you need a little perspective. In other games in Detroit, Green Bay scored 7 points, and they were held to 223 yards (Rogers had 147 yards passing); eli manning was held to 144 yards passing at home, and 14 total points. They are one damn good D, and Orton threw for over 300 yards running Hackett's Offense.

This is where you need a little perspective. In other games in Detroit, Green Bay scored 7 points, and they were held to 223 yards (Rogers had 147 yards passing); eli manning was held to 144 yards passing at home, and 14 total points. They are one damn good D, and Orton threw for over 300 yards running Hackett's Offense.

The lions have a good defense, no one is disputing that. But Cam Newton had 281 and led 3 tds against them (if he had only 19 more yards he would have been so much better!) and the Geno Smith offense scored just as many points and lost.

Our offense needs to put more points on the board.

The lions have a good defense, no one is disputing that. But Cam Newton had 281 and led 3 tds against them (if he had only 19 more yards he would have been so much better!) and the Geno Smith offense scored just as many points and lost.

Our offense needs to put more points on the board.

That's why I was only comparing games played in Detroit. Certainly, there is a difference?

There's no doubt that our offense needs to put more points up, and at home they've averaged 26 (sorry, error here. I was looking Chicago. They do need to put more points up for sure. I think they will definitely be more productive with Orton too).

Edited by TPS

That's why I was only comparing games played in Detroit. Certainly, there is a difference?

There's no doubt that our offense needs to put more points up, and at home they've averaged 26 (sorry, error here. I was looking Chicago. They do need to put more points up for sure. I think they will definitely be more productive with Orton too).

Fair enough. But if Calvin Johnson plays and their kicker isn't one of the worst ever, do we really care about 300 yards if we lost?

There were some nice moments but an offense that scores one td and gives up one isn't a good day. The reason we benched EJ was to have higher standards. Yesterday was a very lucky day but most games, it won't be good enough.

Look, the entire offense -- plays, calls, checks, is designed for EJ Manuel. You can'r reconstruct and tailor-fit the entire game plan to a new QB in 4 days of practice. The offense will open up under Orton but it will be a gradual process.

Yes, I know it is painful to watch CJ slam into Suh over and over but give the Lions some credit. They are ranked as the #1 defense for a reason, and their DL is at the top of the league.

Fair enough. But if Calvin Johnson plays and their kicker isn't one of the worst ever, do we really care about 300 yards if we lost?

There were some nice moments but an offense that scores one td and gives up one isn't a good day. The reason we benched EJ was to have higher standards. Yesterday was a very lucky day but most games, it won't be good enough.

I didn't see the first half of the game, but I understand they looked bad, and had a lot of penalties. From the stats, they had about 76 yards in the first half and 3 points. That means that they had almost 240 yards in the second half and put up 14 points. Do you think maybe it took Orton a bit to get back into the feel of a real game? I liked what I saw of Orton moving the ball in the second half, for the most part, and I am encouraged by what they did against one of the top Ds in the league.

• 1 month later...

I'm just saying we are settling. I think we have a top 10 talent roster in the entire league. Even with Orton getting 300 yards, we scored one td and not until the 4th quarter. Against most teams (including Detroit), it isn't good enough. We struggle to put points on the board and that's going to come back to bite us. We are asking too much from our defense.

I want creative and we have little. Sean Payton or Chip Kelly won't get more out of offense? It needs to better for us to be a playoff team, which we shoudl be.

Two weeks to prepare.

No Fred in the red-zone?

Lukewarm Chemistry with receivers.

Terrible ball security.

Is this still a discussion?

Out of decency this guy should resign.

Umm I'm not sure what post you are reading, where did I saw the run game was effective? I was commenting on the fact that it's when they do run, now it's not creative enough. You've actually proved my point even more.

The play calling has nothing to do with the OL not blocking well or CJ not finding holes. Would you prefer Hackett run the ball himself? Or block the DL himself?

Execution.

Yea, I'm in favor of it!

Nate Hackett, and some of those O line players should be executed.