A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Fair enough. I don't think they can be considered a serious Super Bowl contender this year, due to the situation at offensive guard. But if we could dramatically upgrade both OG spots in the offseason, and if Orton can play good, solid football, the Bills become a realistic part of next year's conversation about Super Bowl contenders. Will they actually win the Super Bowl at that point? Probably not. But at least they'll have a single or double digit chance of winning, which would be much better than their usual chance. (Which in my opinion has been less than a tenth of a percent.)

I believe that the Bills are making the transition from being an irrelevant and inconsequential franchise to stepping up and being a relevant and competitive franchise. I credit Brandon assuming authority that Ralph bestowed on him and then steadily moving this backwater franchise into the modern world. He was instrumental in hiring Whaley, someone who was young and energetic and who came from a winning organization.

At least now there is hope compared to the past resignation that institutional failure was tolerable because it was better than not having a team. Talking about football matters certainly is more enjoyable than talking about what the future holds for this franchise.I may at times be irrascible but without a doubt I am more happy.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't on this forum for that year of the 5-2 start with Fitzpatrick and Gailey, but I remember it well. It was the first year I had purchased NFL game pass and moved from unreliable (illegal) streams to proper, clear NFL coverage. The way I felt about that team was that we won some shoot outs early doors, but we had to win shoot outs, because the only way we stopped teams on defense (except the Redskins who were so awful they scored 0 points against us in Toronto) was by taking the ball away. You know you are never going to be able to take the ball away every week and if you either take it away or give up a touchdown then you will be in a shoot out every week and unless you have a top calibre Quarterback you will lose more often than you win.

The big difference with this team is I genuinely feel like our defense has a chance of forcing a 3 and out every time it takes the field. That means we don't need 30 points a game to win. I'm nervous about this coming Sunday. It is such a massive game.... the Dolphins have Green Bay and there is a real chance we could be 4-2 over the 3-3 Patriots and the 2-3 Dolphins with a win, 2-0 in the division and going in to the most favourable looking part of our schedule. It really is going to be season defining.

The Bills recently have been scorched by the Patriots running game more than Tom Brady. If our Run defense can still be stout and pressure Brady, we will have a chance. The Hoodie will make adjustment to contain Orton.

The refs killed us. The picked up flag on the clear PI on Watkins was amazing.

I considered the 3 missed kicks as karma for the refs doing everything they could to give the game to Detroit.

The rescinded interference call was baffling. Even the TV analyst, Ronde Barber, stated that although he doesn't like to criticize refs he felt that call was simply bad. The only justification for the non-call is that both players were jostling with each other on the play. To be honest I would prefer more non-calls over the excessive calls that are interrupting the game and making it difficult to watch.

The rescinded interference call was baffling. Even the TV analyst, Ronde Barber, stated that although he doesn't like to criticize refs he felt that call was simply bad. The only justification for the non-call is that both players were jostling with each other on the play. To be honest I would prefer more non-calls over the excessive calls that are interrupting the game and making it difficult to watch.

As would I, but that one was obvious. The ones that drive me crazy are the calls that have nothing to do with the play. A case in point was on a Detroit series, I believe the first of the half. The Bills stopped Detroit twice on that drive only to have holding penalties on the secondary. On the second one, Detroit ran what was obviously intended to be a swing pass to the back. Stafford never looked anywhere else, threw the ball rather quickly, and the Bills defended it properly. Suddenly, a holding flag comes in from the far side of the field. It was ticky tack to begin with, but clearly had nothing to do with the play. Drives me crazy.

It made no sense. I watched some of the highlight videos a few time because i was so excited by how terrific some of our guys came thru Sunday and on several plays you saw blatant PI from the Lions or just shoddy calls to begin with - the worst being the call on Brown who slid in to the Lion player - Stafford? You could tell he was past the point of commitment on the hit but lessened the impact as best he could.

The worst part was that the official with the best view, looking straight at it, made the call. Just dropped the flag like it was obvious. Then some other official must have overruled it with a worse view.