Hey Marrone - Start Bryce Brown!

BringBackFergy

ya. I'm pretty sure that's what you just said.

What are you talking about? Please clarify and specify. I said that Sproles is a good player who has been highly productive. If I said anything beyond that, enlighten me. I haven't even read much of this thread; I simply noted an inaccurate characterization of Sproles's productivity given the circumstances he has always played under (multiple productive backs in SD, NO, and Philly). In 2011, Sproles led the Saints in rushing with only 672 yards, yet the Saints finished sixth overall in rushing.

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you talking about? Please clarify and specify. I said that Sproles is a good player who has been highly productive. If I said anything beyond that, enlighten me. I haven't even read much of this thread; I simply noted an inaccurate characterization of Sproles's productivity given the circumstances he has always played under (multiple productive backs in SD, NO, and Philly).

Personally, I think Sproles is a great role player. I see Sproles as Spiller's ceiling. But Sproles isn't a top 10 back or a once-in-a-decade back or any other hyperbole that so often gets attached to Spiller.

Personally, I think Sproles is a great role player. I see Sproles as Spiller's ceiling. But Sproles isn't a top 10 back or a once-in-a-decade back or any other hyperbole that so often gets attached to Spiller.

Sproles has topped 600 yards rushing once in his career. In 4 years, Spiller has done it twice, once 1,200 yards and once 900 yards. Sproles is a better receiver but he also plays has played for far superior offensive minds in Chip Kelly and Sean Patyon.

Going on limb here, but I think Kelly and Payton would use Spiller a lot more effectively than Nate Hackett.

Sproles has topped 600 yards rushing once in his career. In 4 years, Spiller has done it twice, once 1,200 yards and once 900 yards. Sproles is a better receiver but he also plays has played for far superior offensive minds in Chip Kelly and Sean Patyon.

Going on limb here, but I think Kelly and Payton would use Spiller a lot more effectively than Nate Hackett.

Sproles played behind the best RB in the last 15 years. Not a fair comparison.

More logic, I must say it really is an interesting argument, I can see both sides to it but I want Spiller to stay. It's a gut feeling, one thing I always think about when these kind of arguments come up is this would I want Bill Beicheat to pick up that player and have to go against them 2 times a year? (well, maybe the Patsies* are really on a decline and this year isn't THE year that I am having that thought but) Hell no, Spiller would turn into Danny Whitehead (or whatever his name was) and gash the hell out of us.

First time in this thread. Haven't read it all,but has anyone done the math in the OP?

30 yarder plus 9 two yarders is 48 yards over 10 carries.

4.8 yards per carry.

That's stellar. Add in the Freddy/Dixon ground 'n' pound and we have the making of an excellent backfield. Brown replaces Freddy eventually.

This makes perfect sense.

Makes sense to me...but the thing is...people like mrags think that spiller's long runs shouldn't count. We'll go ahead and count them for every other rb in the league and pretend that guys like the child abuser get 5 yards every single time they touch the ball because everyone knows that he has never been known to break big runs...but when it comes to cj, we just have to throw anything over 5 yards out the window and only factor in his under 5 yard carries into his average.

yards are apparently less meaningful when they come in big chunks.

Makes sense to me...but the thing is...people like mrags think that spiller's long runs shouldn't count. We'll go ahead and count them for every other rb in the league and pretend that guys like the child abuser get 5 yards every single time they touch the ball because everyone knows that he has never been known to break big runs...but when it comes to cj, we just have to throw anything over 5 yards out the window and only factor in his under 5 yard carries into his average.

yards are apparently less meaningful when they come in big chunks.

yards are less meaningful when the majority of runs are 0-3 yards with the occasional big gain.

Don't worry, I don't expect everyone to get it.

yards are less meaningful when the majority of runs are 0-3 yards with the occasional big gain.

Don't worry, I don't expect everyone to get it.

Don't worry i don't get it and i don't expect to ever get it.

He apparently gets enough big plays to offset his meaningless short yardage gains to rank near the top every year. They have this thingy called an average. It is pretty simple math...i think it is something like the sum of the yardage gained divided by the number of carries.

Perhaps you should provide us with a yardage distribution by all your favorite running backs to prove your point. Otherwise, it might be kind of difficult to get us simpletons to agree with you that yards per carry is totally meaningless.

Maybe compare how many scoring drives have big gains against how many scoring drives only have 4 yarders or something like that. if you take the time to prove this, you will get me to think you are really cool.

Yip !

Do you mean "yep"? Yip is reserved for EJ, I think. Is it contagious? Oh no!!!

Bryce will get his chance (mostly likely next year), while keeping his miles down this year. Kind of like Fred. Low miles are almost as much of a factor as age.

He apparently gets enough big plays to offset his meaningless short yardage gains to rank near the top every year. They have this thingy called an average. It is pretty simple math...i think it is something like the sum of the yardage gained divided by the number of carries.

Perhaps you should provide us with a yardage distribution by all your favorite running backs to prove your point. Otherwise, it might be kind of difficult to get us simpletons to agree with you that yards per carry is totally meaningless.

Maybe compare how many scoring drives have big gains against how many scoring drives only have 4 yarders or something like that. if you take the time to prove this, you will get me to think you are really cool.

no thanks. I'm good. Keep thinking whatever you want to think. I'll be the one in 3 years already knowing that CJ never did anything special with the exception of 1 decent to good season. You will be the one making excises for him still. Oh the thought of what CJ could do on a team that utilized him correctly. Oh the numbers he could put up if he just had a good offensive line. Of only he had a reasonable QB to take the heat off the running game. Oh, only of he hadn't had so many injuries.

If, if, if...

Keep on keepin on.

OMG, I agree with Tampa Bob..... Mrags please don't you see the problem here? BTW, TB you should use some of the logic in your arguments in this thread and apply them to FJ. And that isn't even talking about other things FJ brings to the table (beside his yrds average).

OMG, I agree with Tampa Bob..... Mrags please don't you see the problem here? BTW, TB you should use some of the logic in your arguments in this thread and apply them to FJ. And that isn't even talking about other things FJ brings to the table (beside his yrds average).

+1, MRags you are coming off worse than usual here. I can almost understand not signing Spiller to a new contract and letting BB fill in but starting BB over Spiller makes 0 sense.

While you're in the benching mood, sit CJ as RB (let him return kicks) and get Bryce Brown in there. We need a change of pace at RB. CJ is soooo frustrating to watch. I don't know if his one 30 yard run is worth the 9 two yards runs up the middle we see every weekend. I always wanted to be patient with CJ but it's tiring.

Bench our most dynamic offensive weapon for a guy who fumbles a lot. Hmmmm...guess that makes sense here in these parts.

Thanks dawg. I have taken it easy on fred lately. He has been pretty good this year at times...can't expect much more.

no thanks. I'm good. Keep thinking whatever you want to think. I'll be the one in 3 years already knowing that CJ never did anything special with the exception of 1 decent to good season. You will be the one making excises for him still. Oh the thought of what CJ could do on a team that utilized him correctly. Oh the numbers he could put up if he just had a good offensive line. Of only he had a reasonable QB to take the heat off the running game. Oh, only of he hadn't had so many injuries.

If, if, if...

Keep on keepin on.

Ah now I get you, you want to be Mr. Itoldyouso. Why are people happy doing that, I never understand....is it fun being negative Nostradamus? Feel better about yourself if you are right? If it lasts more than 4 hours, what do you do?

If, if, if...

Keep on keepin on.

Is there a reason you keep using the word "excises"?