Hey Marrone - Start Bryce Brown!

BringBackFergy

this year his excuse is the guards.

Last year it was the injury.

The year before it was good.

The first year he was splitting carries dispite Chan giving him the starting job in the first 2 weeks until he played his way out of it.

What's next years excuse going to be?

You are clearly right.

Our guards are great and CJ did not have a high ankle sprain last year.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe it took so long. Actually, CJ has been taking a beating on here for a while. I can't wait until he goes to a team that is competent enough to capitalize on his skill set. Then people will be complaining that Whaley let him walk.

CJ being retained will be dependent on coaching staff. If Hackett is retained, might as well let him walk. If we keep Marrone and get another OC, who knows. Same with a HC replacement.

Brown looks like his replacement, but not just that, it saves us a draft pick

While you're in the benching mood, sit CJ as RB (let him return kicks) and get Bryce Brown in there. We need a change of pace at RB. CJ is soooo frustrating to watch. I don't know if his one 30 yard run is worth the 9 two yards runs up the middle we see every weekend. I always wanted to be patient with CJ but it's tiring.

Don't you know it's ALL Hackett's fault!

everyone forgets CJ had only one good year under Chan.

this year his excuse is the guards.

Last year it was the injury.

The year before it was good.

The first year he was splitting carries dispite Chan giving him the starting job in the first 2 weeks until he played his way out of it.

What's next years excuse going to be?

He wont be here next year so you will have some relief :D

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

i 100% agree with this...i will be livid if spiller is re-signed....he has no vision...one hit and he is down....not a good rb

So I guess, seeing the current mgmt's logic, we will hold on to Spiller this year, let him hit free agency with nothing gained rather that trading him for a draft choice next year.

First time in this thread. Haven't read it all,but has anyone done the math in the OP?

30 yarder plus 9 two yarders is 48 yards over 10 carries.

4.8 yards per carry.

That's stellar. Add in the Freddy/Dixon ground 'n' pound and we have the making of an excellent backfield. Brown replaces Freddy eventually.

This makes perfect sense.

First time in this thread. Haven't read it all,but has anyone done the math in the OP?

30 yarder plus 9 two yarders is 48 yards over 10 carries.

4.8 yards per carry.

That's stellar. Add in the Freddy/Dixon ground 'n' pound and we have the making of an excellent backfield. Brown replaces Freddy eventually.

This makes perfect sense.

It was a hypothetical but thanks for checking my math. It was used for illustration purposes only. But let's play along, CJ runs 2 yds, then another 2 yds and EJ passes on third. Punt. Next drive 2 yds then CJ runs for 30 yds so we get first down. Then 2 yds then 2 yds then pass....punt. I guess I'd rather see CJ get 4 yds then 4 yds on a consistent basis. My point is that in between all the 2 yd stuffs up the middle or lateral sprints to the sidelines, we are losing field position. Need to keep drives going. The way to do that is to maintain drives and keep the opposing defense on the field with some consistent 4 and 5 yd gains. It just doesn't appear that CJ is doing that.

CJ Spiller, 2014:

Rushing... GP: 4 // ATT: 52 // YDS: 207 // AVG: 4.0 // LNG: 47

Receiving... GP: 4 // REC: 10 // TGT: 10 // YDS: 81 // AVG: 81 // LNG: 25

---------------

4.0 rushing average is solid, especially with average tackle play and atrocious guard / qb play.

his receiving stats look good: 10 rec on 10 tgt for an 8.1 avg (if EJ threw for 8.1 yd/att, he'd still be starting).

if anything, to me this doesn't say take CJ off this field, it says: use him differently.

whats your excuse for him running the football? Because his 40 rushes for 2 yards each with his 3 big runs of 30-40 aren't getting it done.

It's not hard to figure this out but let me spell it out for you... 2 yard runs kill drives and make is punt the ball. CJ is theater of that. So when we get I to a 3rd and 6 situation, blame CJ for sucking in first and second down. K?

ill take a bet with anyone that he NEVER has a season agin where he tops 1,100 yards. And never has 10 TDs rushing the ball. That's pretty lame for a starting RB in this league actually but he'll never get that.

So just like everyone's favorite player, fred jackson right? Cj has at least had 1200 one year

It was a hypothetical but thanks for checking my math. It was used for illustration purposes only. But let's play along, CJ runs 2 yds, then another 2 yds and EJ passes on third. Punt. Next drive 2 yds then CJ runs for 30 yds so we get first down. Then 2 yds then 2 yds then pass....punt. I guess I'd rather see CJ get 4 yds then 4 yds on a consistent basis. My point is that in between all the 2 yd stuffs up the middle or lateral sprints to the sidelines, we are losing field position. Need to keep drives going. The way to do that is to maintain drives and keep the opposing defense on the field with some consistent 4 and 5 yd gains. It just doesn't appear that CJ is doing that.

If there was a rb who actually did what you are recommending, teams wouldn't need qbs because they would just take the guaranteed 4 yards every play.

It's a bad hypothetical because it doesn't represent real life. Fact is we have more than one RB. Fact is CJ is also used as WR and is getting 8 yards per reception. Theoretically, if the QB can maintain composure and keep more drives alive, CJ's stats will be even better.

It's a bad hypothetical because it doesn't represent real life. Fact is we have more than one RB. Fact is CJ is also used as WR and is getting 8 yards per reception. Theoretically, if the QB can maintain composure and keep more drives alive, CJ's stats will be even better.

The thing people forget is that stopping spiller is every opponent's primary goal. There is not a single player on the offense that scares teams. Last year and this year, every single team would take ej/thad/tuel slinging the ball a ton if it meant that spiller was stopped. He is the only guy that can kill a defense. Teams will happily face fred's heart en route to 40 yards rushing and 30 yards receiving every day of the week if it means that spiller has been stopped. Otherwise, why is jackson so incredibly open all the time for his screen passes? If he was the focal point of a defense, he would never be that open.

Spiller needs to improve in certain areas, of course. But, i have also noticed that when spiller is the guy getting the majority of the touches, he plays much more comfortably than when he gets the ball 1 or 2 times in a quarter (crazy right? Imagine a guy improving with more time). And for god's sake, how about the occasional run or pass to spiller in the red zone. It's freaking crazy!

yeah. It goes the other way too. If the RB could keep more drives alive moving the chains, the QB would have more opportunities to succeed.

Just saying. We could go round and round about this all day.

But the facts are, that over 4 years, CJ has had 1 decent to good season rushing the ball. He has never had a season with 10 TDs however. He has never been consistant in moving the chains. He has struggled in 2 of 4 seasons with his other year being average. He has done this all with at least 2 different HCs and 2 different OCs. All while people making excises for him 3 out of 4 seasons.

Facts. All facts.

Edited by mrags

The thing people forget is that stopping spiller is every opponent's primary goal. There is not a single player on the offense that scares teams. Last year and this year, every single team would take ej/thad/tuel slinging the ball a ton if it meant that spiller was stopped. He is the only guy that can kill a defense. Teams will happily face fred's heart en route to 40 yards rushing and 30 yards receiving every day of the week if it means that spiller has been stopped. Otherwise, why is jackson so incredibly open all the time for his screen passes? If he was the focal point of a defense, he would never be that open.

Spiller needs to improve in certain areas, of course. But, i have also noticed that when spiller is the guy getting the majority of the touches, he plays much more comfortably than when he gets the ball 1 or 2 times in a quarter (crazy right? Imagine a guy improving with more time). And for god's sake, how about the occasional run or pass to spiller in the red zone. It's freaking crazy!

1st point is just another excuse. You think opposing teams don't/didn't gameplan for Priest Holmes? Adrian Peterson? Lesean McCoy? Matt Forte? Frank Gore? MJD? Jamaal Charles? They were game planned against when their teams had nothing else and still dominated at times. CJ had 1 good season. The other 3 are full of excises which is what your point is.

2nd point of yours would make sense except the fact that CJ wasn't the featured back when he had his good season. Off the top of my head I don't know what his average carries and touches were a game but I would guess it's less than 17 total touches.

1st point is just another excuse. You think opposing teams don't/didn't gameplan for Priest Holmes? Adrian Peterson? Lesean McCoy? Matt Forte? Frank Gore? MJD? Jamaal Charles? They were game planned against when their teams had nothing else and still dominated at times. CJ had 1 good season. The other 3 are full of excises which is what your point is.

2nd point of yours would make sense except the fact that CJ wasn't the featured back when he had his good season. Off the top of my head I don't know what his average carries and touches were a game but I would guess it's less than 17 total touches.

Ok dude. Obviously you are just going to say whatever you want to devalue our best player. Let's recap:

1. Spiller should get 4 yards per carry every carry...otherwise he sucks and kills drives. I can't wait for you to tell me about someone like this.

2. Teams game planned for the child abuser and other great rbs, but that didn't stop them. Fair, but who is putting spiller in the same breath as the child abuser, priest holmes, mccoy, etc?

3. Who was the featured back in his big season? It wasn't jackson...he only played in 10 games and had almost 100 fewer carries than spiller.

Just to add...cj has a freaking 5 yard per carry average over his career. That would put him top 10 all time.

Edited by Tampa Bob