Stupid play calling

1. You're on the road, with a second-year quarterback, facing a team that has given up an average of 150 rushing yards per game, but a team that also has one great pass rusher. Do you:

a) Run the ball twice as much as you throw; or

b) Throw the ball twice as much as you run

:wallbash:

2. You're leading by 3 points at halftime on the road, and you've just intercepted the ball on the first play of the second half on the opponents' 20-yard line. You run the ball for 3 yards on first down and 4 yards on second down. On third down do you:

a) Run the ball for one or two plays to get 3 yards and a first down; or

b) Throw the ball

3. You've just been rattled in the second half by an interception return for a touchdown, and now you have 1st and 10 on your own 20. Do you:

a) Run the ball with your two superb running backs, both of whom are averaging more that 4 yards per carry; or

b) Try to throw the ball 3 straight times

4. Early in the fourth quarter, you're down by 3 points, with the ball on your own 15-yard line. Do you:

a) Run the ball with your two superb running backs, both of whom are averaging more that 4 yards per carry; or

b) Try to throw the ball 3 straight times

5. You have two superb running backs, both of whom average more than 4 yards per carry. In the second half, do you:

a) Give them the ball for 20 to 25 plays; or

b) Give them the ball for 6 plays.

:death:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure this play calling was killing them at Syracuse.

I knew he would eventually roll EJ out of the pocket and get the ball to the RB's especially since they were being stunted up the middle.

It never happened.

The offense reminds of the Trent Edwards and Rob Johnson offenses that will never score above 17 points a game

unless there is a special teams or defensive score.

EJ and Hackett should be replaced.

Doug Marrone and Nate Hackett truly lost us the game yesterday.

EJ certainly didn't help, but if he didn't throw the ball 44 times, we win.

Yeah, except they didn't.

Our players couldn't overcome the opposing gameplan designed to shut them down by executing the counter game plan we had in place.

That's how these things work.

The play I hated was the 3rd & 3 pass to Fred. At worst you're up 13-7, instead it's 10-14. That's a 10 point swing. By my count Tuel last year vs KC & this play single-handily cost us 2 games.

Those play calls fall on the coach.

Everyone on this board would have been perfectly satisfied with three straight runs after a turnover in the red zone to start the second half. Yep.

Everyone on this board would have been perfectly satisfied with three straight runs after a turnover in the red zone to start the second half. Yep.

I've watched the replay 10 plus times. How does Seantrel Henderson not block Watt. If this was play design then that's inexcusable. Watt has a huge radius, add in his 35" arms & 35" vertical and EJ has a wall to throw over.

If Henderson is blocking Watt in the chest he knocks Watt down. Instead Henderson assists Pears on an interior block; and leaves Watt free off the edge to attack Manuel, or play the pass. Watt made a helluva play. Problem is Henderson did not block him. As I said before if that's play design then that's inexcusable.

Edited by Dean Cain

Against one of the worst run defenses in the NFL? Yeah! Too bad our line can't block for schitt.

Well a.) I was being sarcastic and b.) everyone needs to stop pointing to the Giants game as 'how to run on Houston" when the blue print to 'run on Houston' is having a quarterback named Eli Manning completing 75% of his passes with a pair of touch downs.

I've watched the replay 10 plus times. How does Seantrel Henderson not block Watt. If this was play design then that's inexcusable. Watt has a huge radius, add in his 35" arms & 35" vertical and EJ has a wall to throw over.

If Henderson is blocking Watt in the chest he knocks Watt down. Instead Henderson assists Pears on an interior block; and leaves Watt free off the edge to attack Manuel, or play the pass. Watt made a helluva play. Problem is Henderson did not block him. As I said before if that's play design then that's inexcusable.

And that's one assumption to be made.

To counter that assumption, I'd offer the Miami game plan that was properly executed to neutralize Wake AND the fact that we're talking about a potential mistake made by a seventh round rookie.

I'm not saying one is true and the other is fabricated. But if you had to play the odds, which do you think is more likely to have attributed to Watt running free? A complete and utter blunder by the OC who has already proven this year he knows how to neutralize a player like Watt? Or a complete and utter blunder by a seventh round rookie?

It's called out thinking yourself. It's one of the few things our coaching staff excels at.

The good news is that outthinking Hackett and or Greggo Marrone is easy to do.

The bad news is that it is Hackett and Greggo Marrone trying to do the outthinking.

Here is a little something to think about:

Let's say we played our 2014 schedule as is but we replaced Greggo Marrone and his staff with one that could be verified as the most average staff in the history of the NFL. Not great, not bad.....exactly average. We have the same roster.

Question 1: What would our record be now and at the end of the season? I'll go with 3-1 and 10-6.

Question 2: Now replace every opposing team's staff on our schedule with Greggo Marrone his crew. We have an average staff, our roster and the other team has their roster with Greggo Marrone. Does anyone see any less than 12 wins in that scenario?

Well a.) I was being sarcastic and b.) everyone needs to stop pointing to the Giants game as 'how to run on Houston" when the blue print to 'run on Houston' is having a quarterback named Eli Manning completing 75% of his passes with a pair of touch downs.

And that's one assumption to be made.

To counter that assumption, I'd offer the Miami game plan that was properly executed to neutralize Wake AND the fact that we're talking about a potential mistake made by a seventh round rookie.

I'm not saying one is true and the other is fabricated. But if you had to play the odds, which do you think is more likely to have attributed to Watt running free? A complete and utter blunder by the OC who has already proven this year he knows how to neutralize a player like Watt? Or a complete and utter blunder by a seventh round rookie?

According to Houston papers Fred Jackson: "we had Watt right where we wanted him." http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/28/fred-jackson-we-had-j-j-watt-right-where-we-wanted-him-on-watts-pick-six/

What!?!?!

According to Houston papers Fred Jackson: "we had Watt right where we wanted him." http://houston.cbslo...watts-pick-six/

What!?!?!

Haha, okay well, then let's introduce a third possibility:

That best defensive player in the NFL, and arguably the best overall player in the league made a great play.

That tends to happen from time to time too. :rolleyes:

For all we know he made a read and improvised.

Then, oh, btw, out ran everyone to the endzone.

According to Houston papers Fred Jackson: "we had Watt right where we wanted him." http://houston.cbslo...watts-pick-six/

What!?!?!

It was a screen. He's supposed to run free and EJ puts the ball over his head.

Also. Texans lined up with a single high safety almost the entire game daring EJ to beat them and outside of the Mike Williams bomb, he never did. What's worse is that he hardly ever tried.

Yeah, let's run the ball into the eight-man wall that every defense since Trent !@#$ing Edwards has put up against us because they don't respect the passing game.

You know what though? In different circumstances I may agree. Houston didn't force us to stop running. Hackett quit on it on his own. We were averaging between 3-4 yards a carry, which is decent and not something to abandon. But Hackett did. It's not like a better team said yep we're going to shut down your running game, now you pass, it was a case where Hackett thought he could outsmart everyone. To run the ball only 22 times in a game when your running game is moving at a decent YPC clip, is an idiotic move. The score wasn't so out of reach where you had to abandon the run.

Your argument for this particular game about the run game just doesn't pass the sniff test.