(OT) Commodore Vic-20

TSNBDSC

While not quite as retro, the first computer I ever used to connect to the internet was a Commodore 64 with a 300baud modem... This was back in '88 or '89. I even had special terminal emulation software that let me display 80 characters across (since the C64 only did 20 or 40 native, don't recall). Ahhh, the good ol' days.

I think my parents still have that computer... It had some amazing games on it, even for this day and age. M.U.L.E., Archon and Archon 2, Maniac Mansion, Bards Tale 1, 2, and 3, Alternate Reality (the first first-person game that allowed you to move more realisticially, rather than a square at a time), and then the best game of all time -- Ultima 4.

CW

While not quite as retro, the first computer I ever used to connect to the internet was a Commodore 64 with a 300baud modem...  This was back in '88 or '89.  I even had special terminal emulation software that let me display 80 characters across (since the C64 only did 20 or 40 native, don't recall).  Ahhh, the good ol' days.

I think my parents still have that computer...  It had some amazing games on it, even for this day and age.  M.U.L.E., Archon and Archon 2, Maniac Mansion, Bards Tale 1, 2, and 3, Alternate Reality (the first first-person game that allowed you to move more realisticially, rather than a square at a time), and then the best game of all time -- Ultima 4.

CW

222567[/snapback]

As much as I loved Manic Mansion, that game could really get on my nerves.

While not quite as retro, the first computer I ever used to connect to the internet was a Commodore 64 with a 300baud modem...  This was back in '88 or '89.  I even had special terminal emulation software that let me display 80 characters across (since the C64 only did 20 or 40 native, don't recall).  Ahhh, the good ol' days.

I think my parents still have that computer...  It had some amazing games on it, even for this day and age.  M.U.L.E., Archon and Archon 2, Maniac Mansion, Bards Tale 1, 2, and 3, Alternate Reality (the first first-person game that allowed you to move more realisticially, rather than a square at a time), and then the best game of all time -- Ultima 4.

CW

222567[/snapback]

I never had a C64 myself, but I remember my RA in college had one in his dorm room and was always playing some cool-looking games.

I remember using Vic-20's in high school for some projects. I remember not being able to do very much with them.

My first connection with the Internet was with my dad's old terminal (can't recall the name) connected with a 300-baud modem coupler to the phone. You could read the words as they came across the lines.

My friend had a TRS-80. It was so cool waiting half an hour for "Temple of Apshai" to load from the tape drive.

Ah...the Vic 20

I had the commodore 64 and then the top of the line 128!!

Load Runner was my favorite game....

I also had a 300 baud modem.......Man was I jealous of the kids with 1200 baud (its soooo fast!)

those were the days....

During that era I had a DEC Rainbow MS/DOS (and CP/M).

I liked to play Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards.  One of the first role playing games.

222790[/snapback]

One of the first role playing games? Hardly... It came out in '87.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/leisuresuitlarry/

The entire Bards Tale series was out before then, as was Ultima 1 through 4 (maybe 5...). Might and Magic was out, and I'm pretty sure the TSR Gold Box games (Pool of Radience, etc) were out as well...

Not that Larry wasn't a good game, but it wasn't one of the first RPGs <_<

(The C128 had CP/M as well; never used it much though)

CW

Ahh...memories.....

In 1982, I bought the Commodore Vic-20

In 1984, I bought the Commodore-64

In 1988, I bought an Amiga 500

In 1990, I bought an Amiga 2000

In 1994, I bought a PC (Pentium 90 mhz)

In 1997, I bought a PC (Pentium 300 mhz)

In 2001, I bought a PC (Pentium 2.0 ghz)

Except for the Vic, I've bought a version of Flight Simulator for each of the above.

(I'm not counting 5 laptops I've had since 1991 - provided by work.)

Pre-electronic computer-related items included my 1968 plastic Digi-comp 1 (lots of fun doing simple programming), Think-a-dot, and Dr. Nim. (I also had a Geniac electonic brain in the late '60s. Very hard and I didn't like it much....)

One of the first role playing games?  Hardly...  It came out in '87.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/leisuresuitlarry/

The entire Bards Tale series was out before then, as was Ultima 1 through 4 (maybe 5...).  Might and Magic was out, and I'm pretty sure the TSR Gold Box games (Pool of Radience, etc) were out as well...

Not that Larry wasn't a good game, but it wasn't one of the first RPGs <_<

(The C128 had CP/M as well; never used it much though)

CW

222793[/snapback]

Any Kings Quest fans here? Loved that series.

I was thinking about Odyssey.  Intellivision, Colecovision, Atari 64, Neogeo

222829[/snapback]

My cousin had an Odyssey; it was pretty cool. I had an Intellivision, and it was very cool <_<

Played King's Quest a couple times, but never got into it...

CW

Anyone remember the disposable TI-99?

222831[/snapback]

I believe it was TI-99 4A.........man these bring back alot of memories....

I got GEOS (graphic environment operating system) for my C-64....I was so excited for that program.....eventually leading to windows as we now know it...

Any Kings Quest fans here? Loved that series.

222834[/snapback]

I loved the Kings Quest series! In fact, I owned the original version that was made exclusively for the IBM PCjr (remember that piece of crap?). I was devestated when KQIII required a whopping 256kb of memory to play. So I saved up nearly $400 for a 128kb memory expansion for the PCjr!

btw....I found a used version of KQ8 "Mask of Eternity" (or something) last month. It sucks compared to the early KQ games.