NFL Scheduling = Same Old Same Old

John in Jax

I don't think coaches, GM's or owners want Thursday night games. Only the networks want them. I'm sure the other 30 head coaches are quite happy to be at home right now.

Network, singular. This is all on the league front office, attempting to make the NFL Network relevant.

Yeah, mine was a post high on snark and that's about it. Plenty of room for hole-poking.

Bringing up the Thursday schedule? Hardly the best counter argument.

well... i agree with you. the reason i didnt post it in reply to you but someone else trying to poke holes. The tv networks would take all top 5 markets and playoff teams (and would if they could project them better). the nfl has made it so every team gets one shot though counter to the OPs compliant. really his frustration is that the networks that pay a ton of money want games they predict will be profitable.

I can't say I agree with the OP's original premise of "same old same old", but I can say I enjoy watching entertaining NFL games, regardless of who that may be...and that except for Jax, I think any football game is worth a watch...even Cleveland v. Tenn, I don't even know if they're scheduled this year, but that would be a game I would watch on a Thursday or Monday...and the Giants v. Foreskins is a good rivalry game, last weeks, Bucs v. Falcons was a Divisional game, Pitt v. Carolina was a good match-up and fun to watch...so, I'm not so sure that it's "always" the same teams...Giants have I think 5 prime time games, but oh well...and I like watching the Giants so that doesn't bother me, but even if it was Cowboys vs. 49ers, no dog in that hunt but I like the game...I just enjoy watching football so except for the watching the Jags in their abysmal looking stadium in a rain-storm, I'll watch any of it....

I hate night games. 12 cst or 3-3:30 are perfect for a.Sunday. I know I am in the minority on this.

I hate primetime games. And season ticket holders of the big city , good teams hate them for the most part as well. A ROYAL pain in da ass compared to a Sunday game...they often dump the tickets for well below face in a place like DC cause leaving the office at 4PM and getting home at 2.30 AM just not gunna happen for most people

I don't think coaches, GM's or owners want Thursday night games. Only the networks want them. I'm sure the other 30 head coaches are quite happy to be at home right now.

yep, coaches love their "routines"...

I hate that day.

I have to agree...Thursday night games are fun to watch, except when it's the BILLS, then it's just anticlimactic...at least if it were a Sunday night game, there would be a slow build to it and cap off the football day with the BILLS' game...but I remember thinking last year, well, that's it?? Now, of course I'll watch the games on Sunday, but with a very different sense of urgency and enjoyment (disappointment) despite my Fantasy Football team being in play...

I have to agree...Thursday night games are fun to watch, except when it's the BILLS, then it's just anticlimactic...at least if it were a Sunday night game, there would be a slow build to it and cap off the football day with the BILLS' game...but I remember thinking last year, well, that's it?? Now, of course I'll watch the games on Sunday, but with a very different sense of urgency and enjoyment (disappointment) despite my Fantasy Football team being in play...

and if attending the thursday games, I hate the rush out of work thursday and struggle through friday for those games

I can't stand prime time games either. When I lived in the area I avoided Monday night games. First because of the insane start time back then. 9pm. Second because the drunkin ahole count was off the charts as people had all day to get pissed in the parking lot. The NFL has made it worse though with the Thursday games. Not so much for fans but for the teams and players. Must be difficult to recover and prepare with two less days.

Edited by Dante

The NFL needs to reconsider these Thursday night games with a short week of preperation and the impact on game quality.

Scores for the Thursday night games for the 1st 4 weeks:

Week 1- Seattle 36, Green Bay 16

Week 2- Baltimore 26, Pittsburgh 6

Week 3- Atlanta 56, Tampa Bay 14

Week 4- NY Giants 45, Washington 14