Theory on the cause of so much negative NFL news lately

wnysteel

They're violent men who play a violent sport.

No disrespect The Big Cat, but this is one of those tired cliches that keeps getting repeated. Does this imply that the 99.9 % of NFL players who don't beat their wives/girlfriends/kids are somehow not as dedicated to the game they play, or they aren't as "tough" a football player? Or don't play the game the right way? This is about the guys who committ the domestic violence, not the game they play. Why is everyone trying to give them some sort of excuse?

Yep. Oddly for me, the Ray Rice video was one thing, but the Adrian Peterson photos were a completely more jolting truth, so in these cases, I think social media has been very helpful. What I mean is, we saw Rice drag his girlfriend from the elevator, so you knew what happened, but the idea that Peterson used a switch on his kid had me thinking, "Big deal, my dad used a belt on me," but when I saw all the bruises, it completely changed everything in my mind.

I don't know if, 15 years ago, these stories get the play they're getting now.

Agreed. Both incidents were pretty disturbing, but the Peterson thing really hit home for me as well. I took my share of beatings from my dad growing up (never with a "switch), so it isn't completely alien to me...but to see that done to an infant, and the guy seems to have no concept of how wrong this is, is pretty disturbing. I am not a huge Cris Carter fan, but he pretty much nailed it this past Sunday... (paraphrasing) "Just because your parents did it to you, that doesn't make it rigth for you to do it to your kid".

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So a player gets arrested, the legal system deals with the arrest. This player enters a pre-trial diversion program or agrees to a plea bargain (either or). The play complies with the deal he made with the state.

The league makes a decision after the adjudication and legal process is done.

NOW, PETA, some other libtard group is up in arms because they think it was too lenient (the way the league dealt with this) so they apply pressure using their influence and resources to make the player and the league look bad. The media jumps on board because they can look more progressive, enlightened etc if they agree. If they don't jump on board they appear tone deaf, or out of touch or ignorant.

Hello!!! this isn't how our country was founded. we shouldn't take someone's livelihood away because they are unpopular in the media. Let the legal system run its course BEFORE we rush to judgment.

Otherwise Dareus should be sitting, suspended etc. Felony arrest then arrest in Hamburg for what four misdemeanors?

Sorry for typos...IPAD spellcheck etc.

So a player gets arrested, the legal system deals with the arrest. This player enters a pre-trial diversion program or agrees to a plea bargain (either or). The play complies with the deal he made with the state.

The league makes a decision after the adjudication and legal process is done.

NOW, PETA, some other libtard group is up in arms because they think it was too lenient (the way the league dealt with this) so they apply pressure using their influence and resources to make the player and the league look bad. The media jumps on board because they can look more progressive, enlightened etc if they agree. If they don't jump on board they appear tone deaf, or out of touch or ignorant.

Hello!!! this isn't how our country was founded. we shouldn't take someone's livelihood away because they are unpopular in the media. Let the legal system run its course BEFORE we rush to judgment.

Otherwise Dareus should be sitting, suspended etc. Felony arrest then arrest in Hamburg for what four misdemeanors?

Sorry for typos...IPAD spellcheck etc.

Have they started fracking in Easton?

When did PETA get involved with this?

The player and the league do look bad...nobody is "helping them look bad"...they did it all by themselves.

You aren't following the story. Peterson is getting paid, in full...same for Hardy in Carolinas...they just aren't being allowed to play. Don't cry for them... and you are ignoring the fact that both he, and Rice have fully admitted their transgressions...Hardy has alredy been found guilty in a court of law, Rice has not denied committing the crime he is being punished for, and neither is Peterson.

Edited by Buftex

Strictly an opinion, no basis in fact.

But stepping back and looking at everything in the news, it seems as if all these are "aggression" type of crimes. Anger and heat of the moment situations. I'm wondering if there is some new PED or other drug out that is causing this type of behavior. (look at how quickly synthetic marijuana went around, before laws could restrict it. You could buy it in corner stores).

I'm thinking there is something new people are taking (to gain an edge, that drug tests aren't catching), and its causing this type of reaction. It seems as if these are daily occurrences (I realize there are other threads discussing the "whos" and the "whats").

Something must be causing it.

No drugs, just how people grew up and now with social media bringing things to the fore front incidents that have always ocured are coming to light.

My theory: ESPN and 9 million social networks. What % of NFL players are actually doing these crimes? Do you think players in the past weren't committing similar crimes? Didn't the Honeymooners begin with him threatening to send his wife to the movie?

If you hit a woman or a child, you aren't a man. But let's not act like football players are the only ones doing it.

My theory: ESPN and 9 million social networks. What % of NFL players are actually doing these crimes? Do you think players in the past weren't committing similar crimes? Didn't the Honeymooners begin with him threatening to send his wife to the movie?

If you hit a woman or a child, you aren't a man. But let's not act like football players are the only ones doing it.

Not sure why this would be an example ;) .... autocorrect!

Indeed he did. IIRC it was On The Waterfront. That bastard.

Not sure why this would be an example ;) .... autocorrect!

Haha. The moon! Think about that today. A TV show had a guy threatening to punch his wife in the face (we should still allow it, it's tradition like the Redskins!).

Indeed he did. IIRC it was On The Waterfront. That bastard.

Good flick. I had to watch it for a Film Studies class. The Bills coulda been contenders.

Haha. The moon! Think about that today. A TV show had a guy threatening to punch his wife in the face (we should still allow it, it's tradition like the Redskins!).

Good flick. I had to watch it for a Film Studies class. The Bills coulda been contenders.

If only there had been audio of Ray Rice saying "Bang, Zoom!"

Thanks for the highlights. Nowhere in my post did I mention Rice, Hardy, or Peterson. My point is if the precedent, to allow the media or Coca Cola or a local Nike atore owner to dictate "punishment", this is a slippery slope.

Pay does not equal "allowed to play."

Nice ad hominem attack BTW.

Sorry if I made it personal. I just couldn't disagree with somebody more.

No disrespect The Big Cat, but this is one of those tired cliches that keeps getting repeated. Does this imply that the 99.9 % of NFL players who don't beat their wives/girlfriends/kids are somehow not as dedicated to the game they play, or they aren't as "tough" a football player? Or don't play the game the right way? This is about the guys who committ the domestic violence, not the game they play. Why is everyone trying to give them some sort of excuse?

Agreed. Both incidents were pretty disturbing, but the Peterson thing really hit home for me as well. I took my share of beatings from my dad growing up (never with a "switch), so it isn't completely alien to me...but to see that done to an infant, and the guy seems to have no concept of how wrong this is, is pretty disturbing. I am not a huge Cris Carter fan, but he pretty much nailed it this past Sunday... (paraphrasing) "Just because your parents did it to you, that doesn't make it rigth for you to do it to your kid".

A 4 year old is not an "infant." You don't need to try to twist the truth to make it even more abhorrent.

I think what is causing it: social media, and the ease of taking, and distributing videos.

NFL players (athletes in all of sports) have been beating their wives for decades, we just didn't hear about it as easily as we do now. NFL teams went out of their way to shield this type of thing from getting to the media, and dealt with it "in-house", if at all.

We can never know if there is an increase in incidents from, say, even 10-15 years ago, because things were kept in-house. Women have a way of fighting back now.

I remember when OJ Simpson was charged with murdering his wife. Allegations of his history his long history of domestic abuse seemed to shock so many. My father, a police officer, was never an OJ Simpson fan, because he knew of so many of these allegations at the time the events were occurring. We never read about it in the Buffalo News, or the Couriour Express. It just went unreported.

I remember when OJ smacked his wife coming out of Mulligan's on Hertel when I was an under-aged busboy there. And you're right, that stuff stayed in house. And while I think the explosion of social media is a double-edged sword, it does involve more people in the process and society can benefit as a result.

GO BILLS!!!

I blame the media trying to get ratings and blowing all this crap way out of proportion.

Really? I can't quote statistics and compare felonies, beatings, DUIs, etc on pro athletes vs the general public. But the many reports seem to imply that the rates of these seem to be way out of proportion (one might say an epidemic), and most certainly then the media coverage is NOT out of proportion.

And to answer the original question as to why? Give an athlete praise, money, put them on a pedestal and worship his as a hero, and now add stress, alcohol, and a disagreement, and suddenly Mr. Hand turns into Mr. Fist or worse.

Personal responsibility is gone - since the NFL and NFLPA ignored this for years, I am NOT going to blame the media for doing their job here. Character matters and most people don't want to work with felons or wife beaters.

Same here Buftex. I could not disagree more either, e.g. your inference that if someone doesn't proclaim their innocence, one would assume they are guilty? just a plain asinine argument. But I didn't rip on you. Whatever.

I don't care what Bob Costas thinks about gun control either because I'm pretty sure if I met the guy I wouldn't agree with him about much of anything. The media grabs onto something they think they can utilize to affect social change and they will not let it go.

The issue here is this **** isn't even real news. ISIS, West Bank, Crimea, Afghanistan. And we're listening to talking heads with room temperature IQs talk 24-7 about football violence. get a real problem.

my issue isn't specifically what happened to any one player it is the endemic use of media power try to manipulate what happens to people and force us to agree with them on certain issues.