All-22 of Sammy; how Bills game plan caters to his skill set

YoloinOhio

Matt Bowen@MattBowen41 14m

All-22 look at WR Sammy Watkins. How the #Bills game plan caters to the rookie's skill set. Post at B/R: http://ble.ac/1teuEVG

Good stuff. Watkins' versatility gives Hackett a lot of options. Undoubtedly, opposing Ds will get this tape and devise ways to cover him. But that will only provide more opportunities for Woods, Williams and Chandler.

Good stuff. Watkins' versatility gives Hackett a lot of options. Undoubtedly, opposing Ds will get this tape and devise ways to cover him. But that will only provide more opportunities for Woods, Williams and Chandler.

Yep, if you take one thing away it opens another up. I really like Chandler, but if we had a playmaking, hyper-athletic TE, even along the lines of a Witten, the offense would be amazing.

That is a certainty. I doubt SD will devote a safety to the deep sideline passes this weekend. The middle will be much more crowded, forcing EJ to make throws he's less comfortable with.

That is a certainty. I doubt SD will devote a safety to the deep sideline passes this weekend. The middle will be much more crowded, forcing EJ to make throws he's less comfortable with.

They will have to after Sammy burns their rookie and EJ puts a perfectly placed ball into his hands for a TD or two...

But seriously, I hope they are dumb enough not to shade safety help over for the deep sideline passes

They will have to after Sammy burns their rookie and EJ puts a perfectly placed ball into his hands for a TD or two...

But seriously, I hope they are dumb enough not to shade safety help over for the deep sideline passes

The Bills have have success at passing the ball over the middle and not as much down the sideline. It stands to reason that you attack a team's strong point and make them beat you with plays that haven't worked as well so far. Bears & Dolphins games provide plenty of film to opposing coordinators. It's not a secret that the main goal of the pass defense will be double covering Sammy, while exposing the other DBs to single coverage. It will be up to EJ to spot and exploit the mismatches.

The Bills have have success at passing the ball over the middle and not as much down the sideline. It stands to reason that you attack a team's strong point and make them beat you with plays that haven't worked as well so far. Bears & Dolphins games provide plenty of film to opposing coordinators. It's not a secret that the main goal of the pass defense will be double covering Sammy, while exposing the other DBs to single coverage. It will be up to EJ to spot and exploit the mismatches.

Double covering sammy would mean doing the opposite of what you said, "I doubt SD will shade a deep safety to the sideline" - that would be doubling Sammy....

Double covering sammy would mean doing the opposite of what you said, "I doubt SD will shade a deep safety to the sideline" - that would be doubling Sammy....

The vast majority of Sammy's catches and especially the ones highlighted in All-22 were over the middle where the zone is cleared out either by Chandler's pick or by safeties sticking with a deep route. I imagine the safeties are going to cheat up a bit more on Sunday and force EJ to beat them deep with more single coverage by the corners to the other receivers. It's similar to the inattention that defenses paid to TJ Graham last year after a few games.

I'm surprised Safeties are bothering with deep routes, as EJ hasn't hit those with consistency (even with the great pass to Sammy that was broken up). You'd think they'd make EJ beat them deep, but they probably know better than I, so I'll just trail off here...

If only spiller ran routes the same way..... THEN we could talk about double headed monsters.

He doesn't need to run routes the same way, he generally has a LB on him... they just need to push him out into space, and EJ just needs to hit him in stride.

The problem is, I think we keep our RBs back to at least chip block, then they go for simple swing/screen routes.

I think... ....

I'm surprised Safeties are bothering with deep routes, as EJ hasn't hit those with consistency (even with the great pass to Sammy that was broken up). You'd think they'd make EJ beat them deep, but they probably know better than I, so I'll just trail off here...

It is about keeping the DBs honest. We know have speed on both sides, and a QB with a strong arm. The fact they are taking shots downfield will keep them from cheating up.