Game Planning wins games

MClem06

I really believe that aside from our team as a whole making amazing plays on both sides of the ball, our game plans both offensive and defensive against the first two teams have been fantastic. It's a HUGE part of why we are 2-0 right now. We have misdirection on our side, calling the same play but running it differently everytime keeps the other teams on their toes. The offensive gameplan for one has in my opinion been amazing. Hats off to Hackett and his crew. They are taking their short comings and turning them into strengths. Not asking EJ to win the game but manage it instead and figuring out how to do that has to be difficult.

That being said. I have to think they are looking at and analyzing the tape from the SD game and thinking how do you stop Gates? on D.

On offense, how do you keep up with the points/passes Rivers can put up on the board.

I think this is the first game where you will see 30 plus passes from EJ. The problem they will face is if they fall behind early , answering back right away. EJ came out firing on target in the Miami game but we kicked field goals. This isn't going to win us a game against SD. We have to have to be efficient and score 7 in the redzone whenever we get there.

I'm hopeful we can keep this thing rolling GO BILLS!!

Anyone else have any guesses on key focal points for the game plan both offense and defense?

I think it was in a Corey Graham interview off of BB.com, RE the Miami game, he said something like, "they adjusted at half time, then we adjusted in the 4th quarter." Not something you heard very often about previous coaching regimes....

Edited by TPS

I worry that our DL won't be able to get to Rivers and he will just get rid of the ball too quick. How does Schwartz frustrate Rivers otherwise?

kj

It was the same with Cutler, he gets rid of the ball very quickly and rarely sacked for that reason. He will get frustrated if his WRs can't get separation. I don't know if that will happen. Allen has shown he can do that with anyone.

Whaley and Marrone hired a veteran offensive mind from the Ravens, Jim Hostler, to do just that, help with the game plans. He's a long time veteran coach who was considered for their OC job before it went to Kubiak. What Hostler does, amongst other things, is scout and analyze the team the Bills are playing the following week, scout and analyze the Bills themselves, and start on the game plan a week early so that when Hackett and Marrone (as well as Schwartz to a smaller degree) get to game planning, they are that much further ahead, and have another strong veteran offensive voice.

This may have helped Hackett substantially already.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Jim-Hostler-named-Senior-Offensive-Assistant/05116d85-73c7-4737-a6fa-5750de89b99f

Whaley and Marrone hired a veteran offensive mind from the Ravens, Jim Hostler, to do just that, help with the game plans. He's a long time veteran coach who was considered for their OC job before it went to Kubiak. What Hostler does, amongst other things, is scout and analyze the team the Bills are playing the following week, scout and analyze the Bills themselves, and start on the game plan a week early so that when Hackett and Marrone (as well as Schwartz to a smaller degree) get to game planning, they are that much further ahead, and have another strong veteran offensive voice.

http://www.buffalobi...fa-5750de89b99f

^ this is an excellent point.

http://www.buffalobi...fa-5750de89b99f

This is a drum I've been beating for months, in response to all of the calls for Hackett's head. Hostler is one of the most important offseason acquisitions they made.

This is a drum I've been beating for months, in response to all of the calls for Hackett's head. Hostler is one of the most important offseason acquisitions they made.

Last season Hackett was doing it all, including QB coach and dealing with a QB carousel of rookies and inexperience. He must be so much more effective with not having to spread himself so thin.

Impossible to say how good he is though he has a very good resume. Don't really know whose idea it was to get a guy like this. Don't really know how many other teams hired a guy like this or do this. But in theory it's a really good idea.

Impossible to say how good he is though he has a very good resume. Don't really know whose idea it was to get a guy like this. Don't really know how many other teams hired a guy like this or do this. But in theory it's a really good idea.

It probably depends on the experience level at OC. It may have been Whaley's idea.

I'm guessing most teams have "a guy" who breaks down film and can give the coaches an analysis of how often they run on 2nd-and-6, etc., but it's certainly a break from the Bills' coaching tradition to allocate resources to a dedicated "expert" like this. I think we've already seen the benefits.

Really, just another indication that since Russ took over Prez duties they aren't your "same old Bills."

I agree.

Hackett had way too much on his plate last year, not even counting the fact that he had to get 3 different QBs prepared to start games. Kudos to the Bills for ponying up the bucks to pay what's likely a pretty hefty salary for Hostler's services.

I'm guessing most teams have "a guy" who breaks down film and can give the coaches an analysis of how often they run on 2nd-and-6, etc., but it's certainly a break from the Bills' coaching tradition to allocate resources to a dedicated "expert" like this. I think we've already seen the benefits.

Really, just another indication that since Russ took over Prez duties they aren't your "same old Bills."

I'm pretty sure the Bills had a guy like that last year, too, that breaks down film. All teams do that. Quality control guys often do that.

This idea is different, but agree it's different since Whaley took over.

Buffalo will be coming out throwing. They will be hitting Woods on quick slants and some screens to slow down the bolts for stacking the box. We might even hit a deep pass right off the gate so we slow down the safety and keep them from sneaking down. That would not surprise me one bit if Goodwin is in on the first play just for that purpose!

The bolts will be passing alot so Spikes wont have yet another big game but we will be blitzing them a lot. I expect Rivers having his worst game against us. All the analyst will be using that as an excuse as to why they lost not because the Bills are doing great but a bad game by rivers. Sad that they can't realize we are a legit team and that we plan very very good now. Marone brought in a group just to scout the next team we play so they can have all the tapes and see first hand what they will be up against. I don't think that has been done in the past.

The bolts will be out of sync and we win a very good game. This is a pivotal game for us as we can run the table and Marone knows this. They will be very prepared and fired up again. This game goes our way and we win 31-17. The first half will be a struggle and a close game but the second half adjustments just kills the bolts.

I agree with the OP that our game planning seems to be much improved. If there is an area for improvement, it's in relation to half time adjustments. In both games this year, our opponents have taken it to us in the third quarter. In both games, we had success again in the fourth quarter, so I will assume that, with in-game adjustments, we were able to put our players into positions to succeed.

Overall, I am pretty happy with these coaches and I wasn't thrilled the hires of Hackett and Crossman. I guess 2-0 makes everyone look better.

FP

Similar to Chicago matchups EXCEPT:

Bills at home this time.

Ryan Matthews is broken, and I am certain Forte >> Danny Woodhead. Could be a second straight week w/o much field time for Spikes.

SD's game will be ALL on Rivers, and Bills DL should be able to pressure him some at home.

To the OP, I agree, and of course its all about the coaches. In player acquisition, player development, player utilization. Schemes, game planning, play calling. If any of those fail, well then, the entire team can fail. And yea, Hackett was all by himself last year with no senior adviser, no QB coach. I kept bringing this up all last year.

This year Hackett has seriously improved from his last year 70% up the middle runs that usually went nowhere. The offense still needs to work on short yardage, and red zone plays tho. Still, so far this year a huge difference.

From what I saw in that Arizona game on Monday night the best way to beat the Chargers is to constantly bring pressure to Rivers. At the end of that game the Cards brought the heat, and Rivers melted from it. Of course they needed to blitz their entire defense because they lack the dominate pass rush that a team like Buffalo has, as the Bills already possess one of the best sacking D's in the NFL. Since the Chargers starting RB in Ryan Mathews is out with an injury, the Bills will now face ex Colt reject RB Donald Brown as the starter.

The Chargers can be beaten!