NEWS: The peeling away of sponsors from the NFL has begun

Hplarrm

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/radisson-suspends-its-sponsorship-from-vikings-due-to-adrian-peterson-015111110.html

is a link to an article about the Radison Hotel chain MN suspending it sponsorship deal over the child abuse charges against Adrian Peterson.

It was a week of various morality charges and incidents. NFL owners such as Bib Kraft came quickly and strongly to Goodell's defense. Nice, but we all know it ain't the owners who really call the shots its the ultimate cash source. sponsors and the TV nets who are important here.

Interesting to me also I think there is a lag which will see men like Kraft circle the wagons around Goodell, but ultimately its going to be discussions that these MEN who run the NFL have with their wives over the breakfast table and pillows will ultimately determine what happens.

He probably will surive in the short term but I suspect we will see Goodell walk away from 44 mill annually to spend mire time with his family.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference with hotel chains is that In-Bev is paying $200M per year for their advertising ($1.2B in total). It is one thing to lose a little sponsor but not your biggest. It is like if you owned an insurance agency. You don't like to lose a homeowner's policy but it hurts much worse to lose your largest commercial client.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

15 other hotel chains will fill that space with the quickness.

People watch football. Great place to advertise.

Yep. Right now, Radison pulling their sponsorship is just another form of advertisement. "Hey look, we care about people so we're pulling our money from the NFL...LOOK AT US!!!

They'll probably move their money to the NBA, cuase you know, raping and shooting people isn't hot right now.

Like it or not, it's always about the money. The biggest issue here isn't about one or two football players abuse but the way we the fans feel about it. The big sponsors only act when the fans act out. The players get too big of a check and the NFL takes on too much money so when things go south they go south quick. The old saying that one oh sheeeit ruins the 10 great that a boys. In the NFL when company's pay big time for sponsor-ships they just wait for that one mistake to say we'll wait or stop then like a domino more follow. I'm not sure what AP did or did not do with his children, so this isn't about him but what he represents. Roger G. has made it a point to punish players for anything, and it's starting to come full circle. Not that what he does is exactly right or wrong but the fact that he pushed this giant of the NFL to such heights of sponsorship that any little wrinkle becomes a huge wave. He made his bed by doing this now he has to sleep in it. He takes people from all aspects of society for a profit and thinks that they will be perfect citizens. For this it will be his demise, or fate. He like most other owners became money hungry and used his players to get there. It bit him in the arse and he will eventually be asked to step down with a new CEO for the league who will drop some games from TV like just 1 Monday night game and cut most Thursday games out. Yes the NFL will cut back on the deals and not be so profitable but again the BS and all the little problems in the NFL will start to be pushed away like it used to be.

The difference with hotel chains is that In-Bev is paying $200M per year for their advertising ($1.2B in total). It is one thing to lose a little sponsor but not your biggest. It is like if you owned an insurance agency. You don't like to lose a homeowner's policy but it hurts much worse to lose your largest commercial client.

Meh. These kind of short-lived-psuedo-controversies only make the league more interesting to the general public and therefore more attractive to sponsors. NFL just has to weather the cackling hens of discontent for a few weeks and it will be business as usual regardless. I mean.....it's a bloodsport sponsored most prominently by booze. :doh:

Meh. These kind of short-lived-psuedo-controversies only make the league more interesting to the general public and therefore more attractive to sponsors. NFL just has to weather the cackling hens of discontent for a few weeks and it will be business as usual regardless. I mean.....it's a bloodsport sponsored most prominently by booze. :doh:

I'm not saying that they will pull the plug but the NFL doesn't want to play a $1.2B game of chicken. The NFL won't worry about the small guys too much but Nike, In-Bev or any of the TV partners will get their attention. Who know what kind of ROI they are getting on $200M a year but this could be the perfect excuse to reallocate some of those dollars if they see fit. The NFL will do what they can to appease them (especially the big boys).

http://sports.yahoo....-015111110.html

is a link to an article about the Radison Hotel chain MN suspending it sponsorship deal over the child abuse charges against Adrian Peterson.

It was a week of various morality charges and incidents. NFL owners such as Bib Kraft came quickly and strongly to Goodell's defense. Nice, but we all know it ain't the owners who really call the shots its the ultimate cash source. sponsors and the TV nets who are important here.

Interesting to me also I think there is a lag which will see men like Kraft circle the wagons around Goodell, but ultimately its going to be discussions that these MEN who run the NFL have with their wives over the breakfast table and pillows will ultimately determine what happens.

He probably will surive in the short term but I suspect we will see Goodell walk away from 44 mill annually to spend mire time with his family.

They are probably milking the situation to get better advertising rates from the NFL. Watch for more of this. The NFL has milked every one else, now it's their turn. (Maybe the fans should boycott, and force them to lower ticket prices! C'mon, we all deserve a cut of this)

I doubt Goodell will get fired, they just want some financial concessions behind the scenes.

Edited by HoF Watkins

They are probably milking the situation to get better advertising rates from the NFL. Watch for more of this. The NFL has milked every one else, now it's their turn. (Maybe the fans should boycott, and force them to lower ticket prices! C'mon, we all deserve a cut of this)

I doubt Goodell will get fired, they just want some financial concessions behind the scenes.

Is this like NAFTA ?

Because that still sucks .

Sure it all balances in the end.

BTW no it doesn't

not a personal shot

Edited by 3rdand12

Some other sponsors are upset. Nike has pulled AP stuff here in the twin cities!

Now do you goofs (robs house) understand why the nfl punishes players due to image concerns

I still think that ultimately these sponsors want reduced rates from the NFL, and won't stop their sponsorship.

Of course they will pull products sponsored by individual players, is that really a surprise?

Is this like NAFTA ?

Because that still sucks .

Sure it all balances in the end.

BTW no it doesn't

not a personal shot

I don't know how it might be like NAFTA, but the sponsors aren't gonna leave forever, and I don't think they care who the commissioner is. They want monetary concessions from the league.

I still think that ultimately these sponsors want reduced rates from the NFL, and won't stop their sponsorship.

Of course they will pull products sponsored by individual players, is that really a surprise?

You think the nfl wants politicians scolding them, sponsors pulling out, sponsors threatening to pull out?

I don't know how it might be like NAFTA, but the sponsors aren't gonna leave forever, and I don't think they care who the commissioner is. They want monetary concessions from the league.

Thats how.

Some other sponsors are upset. Nike has pulled AP stuff here in the twin cities!

Now do you goofs (robs house) understand why the nfl punishes players due to image concerns

Chester! You're back. It's been kinda boring without someone to kick around. I see you still don't get my point, but that's okay. Logic and reason were never going to work with you anyway.

Edited by Rob's House

Chester! You're back. It's been kinda boring without someone to kick around. I see you still don't get my point, but that's okay. Logic and reason were never going to work with you anyway.

Says the guy who can only repeat the same old stuff and use the same insults. Derrrr why does the nfl care about their image......uhhh

Says the guy who can only repeat the same old stuff and use the same insults. Derrrr why does the nfl care about their image......uhhh

You're kind of right. I have been asking the same 2 or 3 questions that no one seems to be able to answer. What's fun about you is you don't answer the question but you act like you got it right anyway. It's cute.