How was Sammy so wide open all day

Webster Guy

I don't really know why it apparently requires elite talent. But it seems like we haven't had that open guy on easy crossers since Andre.

Next up on the "let's figure out how to do what all the good teams do" list - a TE up the seam or a back shoulder throw maybe?

It requires elite talent to get open in the NFL because of the caliber of athletes populating defensive backfields these days. DBs today, overall, are faster, longer, and more athletic than ever before. It's the direct result of the rise in passing attacks from the NFL down through high school over the past decade and a half, there are just more good DBs available in the talent pool. That means it's harder than ever to get open without being able to bring something elite to the table. Fortunately for us, Sammy brings not only elite athleticism and work ethic to the table, he brings elite speed, size and hands on top of rapidly improving route running abilities.

I spent a few practices during training camp just watching the guy work on his footwork. He's blindingly fast with his stutter steps, and has rare ability to replicate body language and footwork during his various breaks to constantly keep DBs guessing. He's strong enough to beat any press and fast enough to take the top off defenses.

Plus he blocks.

This guy is going to be great when he stops thinking and starts playing. He's just scratching the surface.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly you are correct. But it's an attempt to exaggerate the cost, IMO. As the semantic discussion was hard for you to continue to read, the odd characterization of the cost was hard for me to read.

But yes, the true cost of the pick, and Sammy's true value to the team, will be revealed over time. And that is far more important than what words are chosen to describe it. While it's far too early to tell, the 2015 first round pick might not be very high after all. no jinx!

I was traveling back from Buffalo yesterday so unable to explain myself, but I think Dean hit the nail on the head. It's absolutely semantics, but it's also frustrating! Anyway, it's all good.

The best part about this play is that it's obvious Hackett is scheming ways to get the ball into Sammy's hands. The fact that Chandler picks the LB and starts blocking him before Sammy gets the ball (a penalty actually) tells us that this play was designed to go to one place - Sammy. Put the ball in your playmakers hands and good things happen.

Yes you are correct. It seems a lot of people missed that fact. Sammy was open by design and it was an illegal play. He won't be that open too often going forward unless he creates that space using his own talent. You can bet that the refs will be watching Buffalo for these type of pick plays considering that they got away with it more than once. When the referees review this game, they will make a note that they need to watch Buffalo for this next week.

Sammy did score on his individual effort going for the pylon. No doubt the dude is highly skilled and plays big with great effort.

Chandler picked on the TD pass

And he didn't need to, Sammy was already sprinting the opposite direction. Never would have caught him.

Also it was withing 5 yards of the LOS... Isn't that legal?

**edit** looked it up its one yard. Chandler was ok until he put his hands on the guy, which again, I really don't think he needed to.

Sammy was already by him.

In my mind what made tha play incredible was sammy ran at his DB like he was streaking into the hole in the zone which the DB let go to his safety. But as soon as watkins was shoulder to shoulder on the DB he squared in on a dime behind him without slowing down.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

And he didn't need to, Sammy was already sprinting the opposite direction. Never would have caught him.

Also it was withing 5 yards of the LOS... Isn't that legal?

**edit** looked it up its one yard. Chandler was ok until he put his hands on the guy, which again, I really don't think he needed to.

Sammy was already by him.

In my mind what made tha play incredible was sammy ran at his DB like he was streaking into the hole in the zone which the DB let go to his safety. But as soon as watkins was shoulder to shoulder on the DB he squared in on a dime behind him without slowing down.

I think it was blown coverage. Watch the DB, he just stands there doing nothing, covering no one. That can't be right.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

SO MUCH SPACE FOR SAMMY

BxqTEyNIQAALS43.png

This was a nicely ran route if you watch the replay. He bursts up the field right at the DB and the moment the DB finally turns his hips in anticipation of keeping up with the go route Sammy breaks in on the post. Those backers have to get deeper in their drops too, the made the throw much easier than it should have been.

These intermediate curls are getting to be our bread and butter. Three nice 20 yarders to Sammy Mike and Robert in Bears game, all in the same spot.

This pic in the above post by MDH shows how deep the FSafeties are playing our guys because they know we can burn. It's leaving huge holes in the seam there.

People tend to criticize Hackett for run, run, run at times when we are only getting 2 yards on a lot of them but that does a lot to help the passing game when we do. The DL is not storming after the QB on every down, they are usually reading run first. The LBs and DBS too. That often gives EJ more time to throw, WR more time to get open and a little more space downfield.

I think it was blown coverage. Watch the DB, he just stands there doing nothing, covering no one. That can't be right.

That's what I attempted to explain... Albeit poorly.

Watch again. Sammy runs full speed outside the DBs sideline shoulder. DB lets him go as the safety has the deep half or third of the field because most WRs, when running that fast run a sideline fade or maybe a post. DB is also expecting to help with the pattern in the flat.

Sammy then squares in as soon as he gets by the DB without losing any speed or the DB even realizing he made the break inside.

This is what makes him a rare talent as most nfl WRs would not be able to run full speed at a DB and sell the outside route only to cut in right behind him with out losing speed and run across the field.

It's really quite amazing.

It's a simply play design where Hackett knows what he's got in Sammy and Miami didn't.

That's what I attempted to explain... Albeit poorly.

Watch again. Sammy runs full speed outside the DBs sideline shoulder. DB lets him go as the safety has the deep half or third of the field because most WRs, when running that fast run a sideline fade or maybe a post. DB is also expecting to help with the pattern in the flat.

Sammy then squares in as soon as he gets by the DB without losing any speed or the DB even realizing he made the break inside.

This is what makes him a rare talent as most nfl WRs would not be able to run full speed at a DB and sell the outside route only to cut in right behind him with out losing speed and run across the field.

It's really quite amazing.

It's a simply play design where Hackett knows what he's got in Sammy and Miami didn't.

That's one of the reasons he is and will be amazing. He loses little speed when he makes cuts. His feet are incredible. It's just a notch above most every player in the league. Just watching the ten or so targets to him back to back and what he did, even the bomb that Grimes makes the great play on, shows you he's already elite. That's why you make that trade.

He's special.

For the eight hundred gazillionth time...no we did not. We USED a first round pick on him and traded one.

I propose we institute a board wide autocorrect for that misnomer.

To read it you'd think we could have just hung on the the picks in a back account and let them earn interest or something.

The most precise and correct way to state this is, the bills traded their 9th overall 2014 draft pick and their 32nd and 128th overall 2015 pick to select 2014 probowler sammy Watkins with the fourth pick in the 2014 draft.

Or at least that's what they'll be saying next April!

I propose we institute a board wide autocorrect for that misnomer.

To read it you'd think we could have just hung on the the picks in a back account and let them earn interest or something.

The most precise and correct way to state this is, the bills traded their 9th overall 2014 draft pick and their 32nd and 128th overall 2015 pick to select 2014 probowler sammy Watkins with the fourth pick in the 2014 draft.

Or at least that's what they'll be saying next April!

I probably shouldn't go here, but it is surely correctly language to say we gave away two first rounders. We had two, and we gave two up. The same usage for a bad trade, like Colt fans saying "We gave away a number one for Trent Richardson, WTF?!" The definition of give up or gave up is to "to allow someone to have something that was yours"

It may not be the most clear or the very best usage, but it is not wrong.

Used, spent, gave up, are all correct usage of the words and mean the same thing. Not only that, but any time a poster says we gave up two number ones, it's 100% clear what he means. There is zero confusion in it.