Jerry Sullivan......always negative

chef4131

I found Jerry's column notes left on table.

Bills suck ..... should have listened to me .... Bills are playing down to opponent level .... should have listened to me .... front office sucks .... should have listened to me ... Bills got breaks .... should have listened to me .... it is all about me .... Bills suck.

Look, I'll say this in Sully's defense:

When he is negative, he is often right. Behind a pessimist is a dissapointed optimist. I get the feeling that hi heart has been broken along with all of ours, and unlike us he doesn't have the luxury of looking away.

In addition, read the article he wrote this morning. It was one of the most positive things I've seen him write.

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman

When he is negative, he is often right. Behind a pessimist is a dissapointed optimist. I get the feeling that hi heart has been broken along with all of ours, and unlike us he doesn't have the luxury of looking away.

In addition, read the article he wrote this morning. It was one of the most positive things I've seen him write.

Ef that he is NE fan at hear. Bosox Pats, Bruins. He is a hack period. If he was any good he would have left Buffalo at the first opportunity. He isn't and he couldn't. He is a douche. Period.

Nah. I remember not long after he came to Buffalo he was brought in by my high school to judge some kind of basketball-related contest (might have been a slam dunk contest?). The whole idea was that it was supposed to be fun (and it might have had some charity-related angle to it). So all of the judges, except Jerry, got into the spirit of the occasion and generally awarded 8s, 9s, and 10s to the competitors. Jerry gave 3s.

I disagree. I don't read Sully much because I get the feeling he's an incurable whiner - not the kind of person I want to keep company with.

Because he happens to write about the Bills - who haven't been in the playoffs for geologic eras - his negative Nancy shtick comes across as accurate. Maybe even prophetic. But I'm pretty sure he'd be a whiner if he covered the Seahawks or any other team.

It's just his nature to be a dark cloud on a sunny day.

I'm surprised. I usually ignore, but I read it with a "challenge accepted" intent to find the negative after reading your post. There, for the first time in my memory of his writing, was none.

There was, however, an unintended (I suspect) admission that he is not a Bills fan. Many on this board have surmised as much. No fan would choose to use "you've" earned it and "you" had it coming instead of "we've" and "we" when referring to the relief of securing the team's long term future.

If he's not one of us in experiencing the highs and lows of this team, IMO every stereotypical negative sully comment he puts in print is little more than trolling the readership of TBN.

I don't believe Jerry Sullivan has ever given any indication he is (or ever has been) a fan of the Bills. As far as his pessimism, in his article about Pegula, Sullivan described himself as a "professional pessimist," which was not the first time I heard him say that. Which brings a couple of thoughts to mind: 1) He would probably get more respect if he took more pride in being a professional writer - as opposed to the pride he seems to take in being a professional pessimist; and 2) If he is, as he says, a professional pessimist, how can he objectively write about anything. I do not think most of us fans want Buffalo sports columnists or sports reporters who see the world through rose colored glasses. We also don't want a sports columnist who sees the world through a lens of cynical negativity.

Sullivan is negative most of the time but if you look at the Bills history for the past 14 years its hard to not be. The same thing for the Sabres the past 6 years. Mostly negative stuff. If he put a positive spin on it he'd be called a "Homer" or on the Bills & Sabres payroll. Most sports writers are skeptical and try to cut through the spin the teams put on everything. Good for them. If the Bills make measureable progress he will write about it. I hope the Bills are for real. There is nothing like success to shut up the critics.

Sullivan is like a lot of these sports writers..... He is just bad at his job....Not interesting to read....You learn nothing new from reading his take....Honestly just bad at his job... If he had any other skills at all, he would do something besides sports writing....sad but true......maybe he could be a waiter? No offense intended to any restaurant staff....sorry...

Nah. I remember not long after he came to Buffalo he was brought in by my high school to judge some kind of basketball-related contest (might have been a slam dunk contest?). The whole idea was that it was supposed to be fun (and it might have had some charity-related angle to it). So all of the judges, except Jerry, got into the spirit of the occasion and generally awarded 8s, 9s, and 10s to the competitors. Jerry gave 3s.

He was negative from the day he got here.