Obama Outperforms Reagan On Jobs, Growth And Investing

Dorkington

http://www.forbes.co...-and-investing/

You'd think with his incredibly poor polling numbers, he'd have done significantly worse.

Thoughts? Are Forbes and the BLS to be trusted?

That's not Forbes, that's a blog hosted by Forbes that clearly states "Opinions expressed by Forbes contributors are their own" and "The author is a Forbes contributor. The opinions expressed are those of the writer."

Is there any particular reason I should trust anything posted by a Leonardo DiCaprio looking mother!@#$er I've never heard of?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure not happy with the economic growth in the past 5 1/2 years. But if you're happy with mediocrity, at best, that's your issue not mine.

Oh, you are just being a whinny partisan. Everyone wishes it would rain prosperity but you were the one claiming this was a historically slow recovery. If you can challenge this source from the thread, have at it. But I won't be holding my breathe

That's not Forbes, that's a blog hosted by Forbes that clearly states "Opinions expressed by Forbes contributors are their own" and "The author is a Forbes contributor. The opinions expressed are those of the writer."

Is there any particular reason I should trust anything poed by a Leonardo DiCaprio looking mother!@#$er I've never heard of?

Is there any particular reason you can't challenge some of the authors pretty straight forward conclusions?

You suck! :lol: :lol:

I honestly only had time to skim it today, but even at a quick scan it looked suspiciously like "manipulating the presentation of the number to make your point." Then when I noticed the byline, it was enough for my purposes to point out to Dork that he's not even reading what he thinks he's reading.

Beyond that...if it were an actual Forbes article I might, but I don't feel particularly compelled to deconstruct the random musings of some random schmuck on the internet, when I can deconstruct the non-random musings of non-random schmucks here.

I wasted five minutes reading that thinly veiled propaganda piece. All I got out of it is that the author really likes Obama. Using his methods I could make a strong case that Fitz outperformed Jim Kelly. Interesting how they picked 6.1 as an arbitrary stopping point for unemployment. Had they used 7.1 Reagan got there far faster. Trying to explain away the diminished work force as aging baby boomers was a shameless attempt to exploit the assumed ignorance of the reader, as though that accounts for the massive and immediate downturn in employment.

Worst of all was the way they treated recovery from the day Obama took office, completely ignoring the fact that he came in at the bottoming out of a recession. There was nowhere to go but up. If you're actually trying to do a meaningful analysis to understand how policy changes effected growth you would take into consideration the natural cyclical bounce that historically follows a recession. Instead they treat it as though it were the norm and all progress made since was the result of fiscal policy.

Nanker's post is far more telling than anything that article had to offer, and he didn't drone on with multiple paragraphs of puffery and horse ****.

Well, with 92,000,000 Americans giving up working or looking for work, of course things are swimming in prosperity for all.

"Blurring the picture, a wave of Americans stopped looking for work, meaning they were no longer counted as unemployed. Their exodus cut the unemployment rate from 7 percent to 6.7 percent - its lowest point in more than five years."

Economists differ over which single factor best explains the decline in labor force participation. But few dispute that the trend will likely persist.

More than 1.3 million Americans lost these benefits when the program expired last month. An additional 800,000 will lose their checks in the weeks ahead.

Economists say the likelihood of landing a job dims substantially after six months of unemployment. The economy remains 1.2 million jobs shy of the 8.7 million that disappeared after the recession struck.

'The bottom line: The economy is not creating positions for these people,' said Robert Shapiro, chairman of the economic advisory firm Sonecon.

Here is a chart of changes in labor force participation in five-year increments:

Labor Force Participation

1978 63.2 percent

1983 64 percent

1988 65.9 percent

1993 66.3 percent

1998 67.1 percent

2003 66.2 percent

2008 66 percent"

It currently stands at 63.2 percent. Great Job creating jobs B. O. and your leftist allies.

In the face!

Oh, you are just being a whinny partisan. Everyone wishes it would rain prosperity but you were the one claiming this was a historically slow recovery. If you can challenge this source from the thread, have at it. But I won't be holding my breathe

Is there any particular reason you can't challenge some of the authors pretty straight forward conclusions?

Funny how he never mentions GDP numbers. He conveniently left those out.

I honestly only had time to skim it today, but even at a quick scan it looked suspiciously like "manipulating the presentation of the number to make your point." Then when I noticed the byline, it was enough for my purposes to point out to Dork that he's not even reading what he thinks he's reading.

Beyond that...if it were an actual Forbes article I might, but I don't feel particularly compelled to deconstruct the random musings of some random schmuck on the internet, when I can deconstruct the non-random musings of non-random schmucks here.

it wasn't worth more than a skim...

Neither is listening to all the right wingers on this board that claim Obama's presidency is seeing a slower recovery compared to the historical recovery of other recessions. But if that's what they want to do...

Well, has it been a slow recovery historically speaking or not? If so then aren't the naysayers correct?

Well, has it been a slow recovery historically speaking or not? If so then aren't the naysayers correct?

I would argue the question is moot. Different recessions, different economies different political situations. How incredibly different is this economy from the 1980's economy of the cold war world? What was the cause of that 1980's recession? It wasn't housing, which is really tough to turn a corner on. Or are we to compare this recession to the one of the 1890's?? In any event, this article's stats, unless they are complete lies, seems to say no, Obama's economy recovered faster in unemployment terms. Heck, it was just four years after Reagan left us that Clinton was running on the bad economy. So how great was the Reagan Revolution?

*As a front note--not side--President's get the blame and credit that they don't always deserve on the economy

I would argue the question is moot. Different recessions, different economies different political situations. How incredibly different is this economy from the 1980's economy of the cold war world? What was the cause of that 1980's recession? It wasn't housing, which is really tough to turn a corner on. Or are we to compare this recession to the one of the 1890's?? In any event, this article's stats, unless they are complete lies, seems to say no, Obama's economy recovered faster in unemployment terms. Heck, it was just four years after Reagan left us that Clinton was running on the bad economy. So how great was the Reagan Revolution?

*As a front note--not side--President's get the blame and credit that they don't always deserve on the economy

A President can't usually do much to help the economy, but he can do a whole lot to !@#$ it up.

And it's not a matter of those stats being lies, it's a matter of them being cherry picked and manipulated. As I said before, using that kind of analysis I could show that Fitz was more effective than Jim Kelly.

In other news: Bush was the country's best president, because you can't compare presidencies across historical eras. Likewise, the occupation of Iraq was a wild success. You can't say otherwise, because you can't compare it to other wars: different economies, different political and military situations...

You really are a !@#$ing retard, if you think you're making sense.

Then please explain why you're giving Obama credit for this "recovery"?

Actually I was only answering YOUR argument and all the other right wing nuts around screaming that this recovery is "historically" slow. I'm not giving anyone credit, Reagan, Obama, Clinton or Tom Thumb. Economies and big things and Presidents can only do so much, especially when the opposition is opposed to everything

In other news: Bush was the country's best president, because you can't compare presidencies across historical eras. Likewise, the occupation of Iraq was a wild success. You can't say otherwise, because you can't compare it to other wars: different economies, different political and military situations...

You really are a !@#$ing retard, if you think you're making sense.

Fine. Then prove this is a "historically slow recovery" you complete light weight. I'd love it if you actually tried instead of just calling names.

Ha! And your point about Iraq comes too late, shouldn't have been comparing the occupations of Germany and Japan to how Iraq would go, like many right wingers did. Probably including you.

Too bad you can't compare stupid, because you would compare unfavorably. :excl:

Actually I was only answering YOUR argument and all the other right wing nuts around screaming that this recovery is "historically" slow. I'm not giving anyone credit, Reagan, Obama, Clinton or Tom Thumb. Economies and big things and Presidents can only do so much, especially when the opposition is opposed to everything

If you were only answering my argument regarding the slowness of this recovery then why did you say this regarding the linked article in the OP?

What are the conclusions that the author draws that you want us to challenge?

Fine. Then prove this is a "historically slow recovery" you complete light weight. I'd love it if you actually tried instead of just calling names.

I can't. You can't compare current events to history.

Now admit Bush wasn't a bad president.

Ha! And your point about Iraq comes too late, shouldn't have been comparing the occupations of Germany and Japan to how Iraq would go, like many right wingers did. Probably including you.

Actually I said it would go badly. I pretty pointedly said the WAR would be a cake-walk, but the peace would be a cast-iron B word. But you were still in diapers back then, so I'd hardly expect you to remember.

And I never compared them to the post-WWII occupations...because you can't compare current events to history. You know that.