The 'Mats to be on the Tonight Show Tomorrow (9/9)

The Poojer

here is a review from a buddy of mine who went...your thoughts having been there?

Solid B. Sound was pretty bad, muffled and not loud enough once the place filled up and they !@#$ed around half heartedly for 5 or 6 songs before he really started singing. When they were good, they were great. They just weren't good enough of the time. I got favorite thing running through my head.

Hold Steady were good. High energy and short greatest hits set performed like a band who's tight and on their marks. Too bad Craig Finn really can't sing. In terms of performing a tightly crafted short set, they were better than the replacements. They were ready and well rehearsed. The Mat's need more rehearsal.

Deer Tick was good. 3 singers in the band. They played in front of maybe 200 people but acted happy to be there. They also sounded like a real touring band, tight and well rehearsed.

ears are ringing hard for the 2nd time this week.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, I think I've made it clear that I'm not really a raw rock and roll fan---and that I'm an obnoxious music snob. Ignore me.

Dean:

with all due respect, the Mats were/have never been a three-chord and done rock band.

there's far more depth to their sound, which is what made them important and relevant and vibrant.

no more than the Beach Boys, but very much unlike the Beach Boys.

they are The Kinks. with an American Midwest twist.

I doubt I'd ever change your mind, but if you're into music, give them a spin, some of the songs I mentioned, or even the link to the live video in this thread.

I've given jazz a try and, it's left me wanting. so I understand taste. it doesn't mean I hate jazz.

but, allow me to posit here, if you're willing to participate in this thread, shouldn't you sample the sound (unlike chef, who gets an unusual kick out of trolling every thread on music i become involved with, simply to tell me how wrong I am to the point I've ignored him)

just sayin

jw

thanks for that.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

• 5 months later...

Greatest post ever! :thumbsup:

That's like telling someone who doesn't care for foie gras that they're not a fan of food. :doh:

Well someone who DOES like foie gras certainly isn't a fan of ducks or geese!

God put ducks and geese on this planet for one reason and one reason only. To be eaten. What other purpose do they serve?

Can you imagine a world without "duck, duck, goose," Jim? Well I can't.

what would happen if a ball was flying at your head...no one would be warned to get out of the way? how would we pinch girls butts? Don't underestimate the importance of these 2 wonderful beasts....also our neighbors to the north wouldn't have a name without them...

Can you imagine a world without "duck, duck, goose," Jim? Well I can't.