Jerry Jones 'damn mad' about missing Johnny Manziel

26CornerBlitz

If Merill Hoge wants to talk about "concepts that he doesn't understand," he should take a look at how to tie a tie.

Interesting you chose to attack Hoge for his fashion sense or lack thereof, but offered no response on the merit of his football points with regard to Manziel. shakeshead.gif

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jones' statements are an indication of exactly why you hire a Football GM and not make the picks yourself...Manziel was an emotional pick, Zack Martin for their Offensive line is a smart pick especially, when you already have Romo starting at his high salary...you don't need that type of circus whereas Martin is a good bet to start on your line and make the Offense better, but less flashy...in 5 years time, Jones will be congratulating his son on keeping on the straight-narrow-and steady trail instead of pushing the button on an "exciting" pick...

Funny I was pretty sure that is not what he said right after the draft. I thought it was more like "Dallas is not big enough" for Jonny and Jerrah? I cannot find any articles going back to the draft but I am sure they are out there.

I love how the media forgets this stuff. lol

Here are a few:

Jones seems to slam the door on picking Manziel

“I”m not that gunned up over what a rookie quarterback could do for us this year,” Jones said Tuesday, via Clarence Hill of the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram. “That takes time. This is not rebuilding time.”

http://profootballta...icking-manziel/

Jerry Jones swears he wasn’t looking at Manziel, really

“Romo, by contract as well as by commitment, is going to be certainly the quarterback for several years to come,” Jones said, via Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com. “Don’t care who we drafted, that’s the way it was going to be. So that’s what was going through our minds. That’s why we didn’t spend a lot of time considering Manziel.”

http://profootballta...manziel-really/

Jerry Jones proud of himself for resisting the urge to draft Manziel

“I think I’m proud of that decision right now, and I’m proud I was a good listener,” Jones said.

http://profootballta...-draft-manziel/

I'm expecting an article on how he actually drafted Manziel any day now.

Edited by The Dean

Jones' statements are an indication of exactly why you hire a Football GM and not make the picks yourself...Manziel was an emotional pick, Zack Martin for their Offensive line is a smart pick especially, when you already have Romo starting at his high salary...you don't need that type of circus whereas Martin is a good bet to start on your line and make the Offense better, but less flashy...in 5 years time, Jones will be congratulating his son on keeping on the straight-narrow-and steady trail instead of pushing the button on an "exciting" pick...

Great points. Jerrah also made a huge mistake giving the big contract to Romo when you factor in his age and balky back. The Cowboys are going nowhere fast with him in charge of the football operations.

It really is going to be awesome to watch this sick megalomaniac run the Cowboys into the dirt….I think we're seeing the very beginnings of it now...

I want "full Steinbrenner style" before he's done.

It's a bit of a shame (taking the macro view here) to see these iconic franchises run into the ground: The Raiders, the Cowboys, The team from Washington DC :rolleyes: had their serious issues for a while--and they may not be done...One could add The Bills to that list (not me, of course, but some other hypothetical person).

Here are a few:

Jones seems to slam the door on picking Manziel

“I”m not that gunned up over what a rookie quarterback could do for us this year,” Jones said Tuesday, via Clarence Hill of the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram. “That takes time. This is not rebuilding time.”

http://profootballta...icking-manziel/

Jerry Jones swears he wasn’t looking at Manziel, really

“Romo, by contract as well as by commitment, is going to be certainly the quarterback for several years to come,” Jones said, via Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com. “Don’t care who we drafted, that’s the way it was going to be. So that’s what was going through our minds. That’s why we didn’t spend a lot of time considering Manziel.”

http://profootballta...manziel-really/

Jerry Jones proud of himself for resisting the urge to draft Manziel

“I think I’m proud of that decision right now, and I’m proud I was a good listener,” Jones said.

http://profootballta...-draft-manziel/

I'm expecting an article on how he actually drafted Manziel any day now.

Ha!

Thanks Dean! I knew someone would find them. Its just amazing no one calls him or the media out on how ridiculous they are.

He's only pizzed because they went 0-5 in the preseason this year.

Jones's post Round 1 Draft comments from May 10th on NFL.com

Speculation started to build as Manziel, a player many believed would be too intriguing for the Cowboys to pass on, began to fall down the board.

But Jones and the Cowboys didn’t want a quarterback.

Jones said Romo, by contract and the Cowboys’ commitment, will be the quarterback in Dallas for years to come.

“There’s no way any quarterback comes in here and beats out Tony Romo,” Jones said. “We were strong in the quarterback position, in our minds. The fact that Martin was there mitigated any consideration of a lot of things.”

That doesn’t mean Manziel’s presence at No. 16 didn’t come as a bit of a shock.

“I was surprised, yes,” Jones said. “But what I was even more surprised is the fact that he was there didn’t bring on a bonanza of offers that would have given us, maybe, more options. I was also surprised, frankly, that we had the option to take Martin.”

Edited by Nanker

It's a bit of a shame (taking the macro view here) to see these iconic franchises run into the ground: The Raiders, the Cowboys, The team from Washington DC :rolleyes: had their serious issues for a while--and they may not be done...One could add The Bills to that list (not me, of course, but some other hypothetical person).

Fuk em! We're starving over here for anything resembling success! :censored:

I would put the Bills on that list as we had the one of the best football GM's of all-time, perennial playoff appearances and always with loads of talent, and our aging owner's ego allowed him to go and revive Indy into what they are today.

Strong words and totally expected from that douche, Hodge. I'm not even saying he's totally wrong about Manziel. He doesn't belong on an NFL field - at least not right now. Maybe even never. But there's this little gem I can never forget:

It's Hodge talking about mentoring a fresh-from-suspension-due-to-multiple-sexual-assault-allegations Ben Roethilsberger. Lots of talk about not judging, how a person can change, etc. Strikingly different tone.

Did you listen? It wasn't said with any malice, but he was very direct and straight forward with his assessment.

No.

I wouldn't believe it anyway, what would be the point?

Who does Hoge know? Where did he get his information?

All I know is that Hoge has been beating the "Johnny sucks," drum for years. He pretends otherwise, but it's always a negative take. It's basically Kellyto83TD's EJ take on a national platform with a goofy tie.

Edited by FireChan

No.

I wouldn't believe it anyway, what would be the point?

Who does Hoge know? Where did he get his information?

All I know is that Hoge has been beating the "Johnny sucks," drum for years. He pretends otherwise, but it's always a negative take. It's basically Kellyto83TD's EJ take on a national platform with a goofy tie.

Ummm, he studies coaches film and breaks down college prospects for a living. Beyond that, he played the game at its highest level.

I'll take his word based on actual evidence over yours. You're an admitted apologist for Manziel who simply lacks the objectivity to criticize ANYTHING about him.

Jerrah wanted him, but he was on an island. Everyone on his team talked him out of the pick and now he's :angry:.

He should have just picked his player. Garrett doesn't have the long term interest of the organization in mind, he is trying to save his job by making the playoffs this year. Stephen hasn't built a SB team....despite being a .500 team the past 15 years Jerry built a 3 time SB champion from scratch. It's going to take a season from Romo that no rookie QB has ever had.......even in this era of successful rookie QB's.......for the Cowboys to get 9 wins. That defense is utterly bereft of talent.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

He should have just picked his player. Garrett doesn't have the long term interest of the organization in mind, he is trying to save his job by making the playoffs this year. Stephen hasn't built a SB team....despite being a .500 team the past 15 years Jerry built a 3 time SB champion from scratch. It's going to take a season from Romo that no rookie QB has ever had.......even in this era of successful rookie QB's.......for the Cowboys to get 9 wins. That defense is utterly bereft of talent.

Wrong! It was Jimmy Johnson who pretty much built the Cowboys championship roster. Jimmy has a keen eye for talent and he knew the good/great college players from that era because he had just left the NCAA as Miami coach. Jerrah was along for the ride as the owner. He hasn't done crap since Jimmy left.