Notes from Lions at Bears 2013 film watch

Bocephuz

Chose this game as I wanted to see how Cutler and Co. attacked Schwartz's 43 D

BEARS D

- DT Stephen Paea is a stud... gonna be tough sledding running between the tackles. Pears and Williams better have their big boy pants on

- The Lions did have some success attacking the middle of the Bears D throwing to TE's and big WRs .. this could be a weak spot for the Bills to exploit. EJ seems to be most comfortable and accurate throwing over the middle so I expect Chandler and Watkins to have good games.

BEARS OFFENSE

- Chicago runs 11 Personnel Group out of the pistol and the shotgun for the majority of snaps. Cutler likes to frequently use play action and fakes to the RBs before throwing. Preston Brown is going to have his head spinning and will most likely be paralyzed by these play fakes... hopefully the other guys can cover up for Brown's inexperience

- Bears did not run very much in the first half, they relied more on the quick short passing game. Bills corners will need to tackle well to shut this down

WEEK 1 PREDICTION - BEARS win 24-13. Based on what I saw watching this film and knowing that our guards are the weak point of the O-line, I think the Bears will shut down the Bills running game in this Week 1 matchup. It's going to be rough if this happens and EJ is forced to sling it.. I don't like our odds if Paea and Jarod Allen know we are in throw mode and they can bring the heat without worrying about the run.

Edited by Bocephuz

Chose this game as I wanted to see how Cutler and Co. attacked Schwartz's 43 D

BEARS D

- DT Stephen Paea is a stud... gonna be tough sledding running between the tackles. Pears and Williams better have their big boy pants on

- The Lions did have some success attacking the middle of the Bears D throwing to TE's and big WRs .. this could be a weak spot for the Bills to exploit. EJ seems to be most comfortable and accurate throwing over the middle so I expect Chandler and Watkins to have good games.

BEARS OFFENSE

- Chicago runs 11 Personnel Group out of the pistol and the shotgun for the majority of snaps. Cutler likes to frequently use play action and fakes to the RBs before throwing. Preston Brown is going to have his head spinning biting on these play fakes... hopefully the other guys can cover up Brown's inexperience

- Bears did not run very much in the first half, they relied more on the quick short passing game. Bills corners will need to tackle well to shut this down

WEEK 1 PREDICTION - BEARS win 24-13. Based on what I saw watching this film and knowing that our guards are the weak point of the O-line, I think the Bears will shut down the Bills running game in this Week 1 matchup. It's going to be rough if this happens and EJ is forced to sling it.. I don't like our odds if Julius Peppers, Paea and Jarod Allen know we are in throw mode and they can bring the heat without worrying about the run.

FYI: Peppers plays for the Packers.

We learned last year that even if the running game isn't working, the Bills will continue to run it. It's what they do.

I'm sure if they can't run up the middle, they'll attack the outside and use the screen game. Bears' LBs are a big question mark.

I'm not worried about the Bears run defense, though. They're bad. Pass defense is better.

Thanks for the solid analysis.

I too am worried about Brown in this game. It's a tough one to have as your first NFL game as an outside 'backer.

I'm also very worried about Gilmore getting flagged and worn down.

And I agree with you that they need to get a running game going somehow or they'll be toast. Your score prediction sounds about right.

The Bears were weak against the run last year and their solution was to add a bunch of new bodies.

I dont expect the Bills to win this game as they are typically not good on the road. I do however think they will be able to run the ball but will the game be close enough for them to stay with it. I have zero confidence in EJ but the defense and running game should keep them in it for most of the game.

Thanks for the solid analysis.

I too am worried about Brown in this game. It's a tough one to have as your first NFL game as an outside 'backer.

I'm also very worried about Gilmore getting flagged and worn down.

And I agree with you that they need to get a running game going somehow or they'll be toast. Your score prediction sounds about right.

Yeah.. Gilmore's naturally a physical player so the new rules could impact his game a lot. He was pretty rough last year when his wrist was bad and he couldn't jam guys.

Edited by Bocephuz

The Bears were weak against the run last year and their solution was to add a bunch of new bodies.

I dont expect the Bills to win this game as they are typically not good on the road. I do however think they will be able to run the ball but will the game be close enough for them to stay with it. I have zero confidence in EJ but the defense and running game should keep them in it for most of the game.

They're going to need the running game to succeed in order to loosen up the coverage down field. The Williams-Wood-Pears trio have to have a good day or the Bills will struggle mightily on offense. If they can establish the running game, then the Bills will have an opportunity to bet the bears with play action.

Come on Sunday!

Well...

The Bears were last...dead last...in the NFL in Rushing yards per attempt allowed in 2013...And to give you an idea of how bad they were the 31st team was a half yard per attempt better than the Bears...

So...Yes...The Bills will need to get good blocking on the inside...But if 2013 is any indication that Defense can be run on BIG time...The Bills Defense was thought to be weak vs the run last year and we allowed .9 yds less per attempt than the Bears last year...I really don't see why we can't run against the Bears...But I do agree that if we can't we're dead in the water... B-)

We learned last year that even if the running game isn't working, the Bills will continue to run it. It's what they do.

I'm sure if they can't run up the middle, they'll attack the outside and use the screen game. Bears' LBs are a big question mark.

I'm not worried about the Bears run defense, though. They're bad. Pass defense is better.

Is this part sarcastic? Because Hackett has yet to show he is willing/proficient at running those plays. In fact, aren't those his two largest criticisms, along with exploiting weaknesses and working towards strengths. Given all that, I expect the Bills to pound CJ between the tackles for approximately 60 minutes.

Well...

The Bears were last...dead last...in the NFL in Rushing yards per attempt allowed in 2013...And to give you an idea of how bad they were the 31st team was a half yard per attempt better than the Bears...

So...Yes...The Bills will need to get good blocking on the inside...But if 2013 is any indication that Defense can be run on BIG time...The Bills Defense was thought to be weak vs the run last year and we allowed .9 yds less per attempt than the Bears last year...I really don't see why we can't run against the Bears...But I do agree that if we can't we're dead in the water... B-)

They can only improve. With some new pieces and a new DC, it's an unknown.

They still have the same LBs, though. They're hoping Bostic has improved considerably. He looked decent in preseason. Seattle still ran all over them, though.

Is this part sarcastic? Because Hackett has yet to show he is willing/proficient at running those plays. In fact, aren't those his two largest criticisms, along with exploiting weaknesses and working towards strengths. Given all that, I expect the Bills to pound CJ between the tackles for approximately 60 minutes.

I might be too optimistic that they get that part of their game going. We saw it plenty in the preseason along with problems executing it.

I don't think they'll have a problem running it up Chicago's gut, anyway.

Bears linebackers are bad ....really bad and the safeties are suspect as well. The key is to simply move the chains taking advantage of those linebackers and safeties underneath as the corners are good ballhawks . Keep the Bears offense off the field and that will force Cutler to press when he does get on it . I would sit back in a two deep zone disguising it as much as I could and force the bears to running the ball which they have not shown they are willing to do . The Bears and Cutler like to go for the big play and jump balls and if we can keep them to a minimum we will have a shot to win it .