Does the front office have a clue?

eball

I was about to let pessimism get the better of me Thursday night, but the events of the past two days have restored my faith (somewhat) that this FO does in fact have a clue.

We now have a legitimate short term answer at QB if EJ starts slow or gets hurt. Under-talented backups like Lewis and Tuel are finally gone and the message has been sent to EJ that the coddling is over.

Similarly, releasing under performers like Graham and Legursky is a sign that the organization is done accepting mediocrity. Graham is a guy who just tantalized with his ability to get open in this league, but when you play WR and can't catch you're a liability.

This roster has the pieces in place at every position. Of course, it's all about whether the QB shows up, but at least I feel like Whaley and Marrone have an idea of what they're doing.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems more desperation than a clue towards making a better team. Most of us here bemoaned the shortcomings of Thad/Tuel/Graham/Legurski/Manuel throughout the off-season. Nothing was done except to dump them all but EJ yesterday. And, it must be said, we had an extra week of practice and an extra game in preseason to sort out what we already knew..

Not bad, but not good.

Then again, what do we know..

I should have also added that no UDFAs made the roster. Usually at this time of the year we are all agog over some diamond in the rough every other team missed. The fact none of these guys cracked the roster also speaks to overall talent.

To your comment, Chandler, I say "better late than never."

Sometimes you have to show some faith in your players. You expect at least some of them to progress. It's a bit unfair to point out just the failures and ignore the successes. You don't expect players to regress like Thad did. As for EJ they are trying to show some faith in him. The guy has it in him. Just not consistently. And he gets blamed for way too much here when the other 10 guys mess up too.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Maybe it's more coaching? We get players who are highly touted but they never live up to their expectations. The fact the team looks so disorganized in preseason is concerning. Maybe Marrone is paranoid with Schwartz on the staff?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I was about to let pessimism get the better of me Thursday night, but the events of the past two days have restored my faith (somewhat) that this FO does in fact have a clue.

We now have a legitimate short term answer at QB if EJ gets hurt. Under-talented backups like Lewis and Tuel are finally gone and the message has been sent to EJ that the coddling is over.

Similarly, releasing under performers like Graham and Legursky is a sign that the organization is done accepting mediocrity. Graham is a guy who just tantalized with his ability to get open in this league, but when you play WR and can't catch you're a liability.

This roster has the pieces in place at every position. Of course, it's all about whether the QB shows up, but at least I feel like Whaley and Marrone have an idea of what they're doing.

fixed

The move for Orton was a good one, the issue is why did they wait until a week before the season ? Why not make that move 2 weeks ago when they knew their backup QB's were having an issue, or why not make it instead of adding Jordan Palmer and give Orton some snaps in the last preseason game ?

Again, I like the move, but don't understand why they waited so long to make it.

As for this FO, they've done some good things and some bad things, in the end they'll be judged on the team's record this year. That's the only truly objective measuring stick.

fixed

You have to cross out what ever you "fixed", I am not going to read it over 5 times to find it.

Eball, I pretty much agree. It is still up in the air but I feel a bit less concerned. They have some talent, if EJ blows out a knee or just rots we have an option. The coaches, especially the OC and Marrone also need to get guys to execute, which seemed to be the 800 ton elephant during preseason. Of course, the first season game is never a tell either as there tend to be more surprises every opening weekend than the rest of the year.....So maybe we should know something after week two. I am hoping for improvement and I think the paper says they have the talent. If it doesn't happen, well obviously it is at least partly the coaches.

I should have also added that no UDFAs made the roster. Usually at this time of the year we are all agog over some diamond in the rough every other team missed. The fact none of these guys cracked the roster also speaks to overall talent.

To your comment, Chandler, I say "better late than never."

That doesn't mean anything by itself.... if there was a re-draft of just last year, Nickell Robey would probably be a 3rd round pick

The move for Orton was a good one, the issue is why did they wait until a week before the season ? Why not make that move 2 weeks ago when they knew their backup QB's were having an issue, or why not make it instead of adding Jordan Palmer and give Orton some snaps in the last preseason game ?

Again, I like the move, but don't understand why they waited so long to make it.

As for this FO, they've done some good things and some bad things, in the end they'll be judged on the team's record this year. That's the only truly objective measuring stick.

I thought the same thing about the timing of the signing.

"The Bills had Orton on their radar for more than a month, but had their previous offers rebuffed."

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/football/2014/08/30/kyle-orton-signs-nfl-buffalo-bills/14854171/

That actually made me feel a lot better about it.

I think they have a clue, so far it's just not panning out as well as we all hoped.

I'd be willing to bet that Orton did not want to play in the preseason. Tim Graham tweeted they have been trying to sign him for months

I'm sure Orton was hanging on for a starter to go down and get signed for starter $$. makes sense. worst case sign the best deal you can just before the season to get another year of seniority. Orton handled it perfectly.

Edited by 8and8Forever

We now have a legitimate short term answer at QB if EJ starts slow or gets hurt. Under-talented backups like Lewis and Tuel are finally gone and the message has been sent to EJ that the coddling is over.

Lol @ remembering you start a similar thread on nix because he said it was time for troupe and carrington to step up.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The issue was to avoid the inevitable calls to bench EJ for Orton or whoever after every game.

The front office had to rebuild the team from ground up after over a decade of abysmal management.

More bills went to Hawaii last year than in ages. This team has some talent.

They are the best front office I've seen easily since at least Donahoe, but possibly since Butler.

They have a clue. They've built one helluva defense from the ground up. Just need some of the offensive talent to develop and gel. If it doesn't happen expect action.

The issue was to avoid the inevitable calls to bench EJ for Orton or whoever after every game.

This makes sense. Compromise the season and their own jobs by not adding a vet QB in preseason for fear that 26 posters on this board would be calling for them to start Orton over EJ in August.

What else could it be?