Kyle Orton vs EJ Manuel

disco

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I don't think it's premature to book that Arizona airfare and hotel.

Sure, Orton is a proven SB winning QB. Can't go wrong.

I'll eat crow...shocked.

Pic?

I don't need to look at the other teams' depth charts to know that EJ/Tuel/Palmer was the weakest bunch in the league. Orton gives us much needed experience and respectability. I still don't think we make the playoffs regardless of who starts but if EJ gets injured, Orton will keep us in games and give us a chance, which is more than you can say for Tuel and Palmer. I'm STILL wondering what they were thinking by signing Palmer.

I always thought Orton never got a fair shot. He was great in college. Played in Chicago and gave them a 9-7 record & an 18TD/12Int (79.6 QBR) in 2008. Then Mgmt there, thinking not only that Cutler was better, but that he was elite, traded Orton to Denver where he put up 21TD/12Int (86.8 QBR) & an 8-8 season. In 2010, the wheels came off in Denver, they drafted Tebow and fired Josh McDaniels DURING the season and oh yeah, they had the worst defense in the league, surrendering 6200+ yds and 29+ points per game - not the QB's fault. Wanting to avoid a QB controversy, they released Orton who went to KC, then Dallas in back-up rolls.

So he was an ascending player in Chicago, got traded.

Was an ascending player in Denver, team blew-up and he was sent packing.

Did fine in back-up rolls for 3 years w/ QBRs of 81, 137 and 85 in 2011-2013.

Dallas wanted to retain him, but he grew tired of the back-up roll and "retired".

John Clayton said if you look at the Patriot and Bills rosters (EXCLUDING QB's) - the Bills arguably have a more talented team.

I like EJ, but this team, with the right leadership on offense, is ready to win now. I think Orton gives us this chance.

So now Orton is going to be our savior? These QBs on the wire, or the retirement train were not good enough to be backups in the league, so we should sign one to replace EJ? Total lunacy.

Edited by DirtDart

So now Orton is going to be our savior? These QBs that are on the wire, or the retirement train were not good enough to be backups in the league.

He doesn't have to be a savior but he will make an impact whether he sees the field on Sundays or not. His presence alone gives everyone on the team a little extra confidence that if the wheels fall off (through injury or poor play), there is a capable starter waiting in the stables. This is a good move by the front office.

With the way the OL played (lots of penalties, inopportune penalties) there are very few QBs in the NFL who could QB this team to the playoffs.

EJ threw the ball reasonably well (he still has a lot of work to do) for the most part, when he had time.

I'm not suggesting he can be the guy or will be the guy. But with horrible OL play like that, it's really hard to know.

Bingo......The O line is horrible. I don't care what QB you put behind our line, if he doesn't have time to throw, or the RBs do not have holes to run through it's a wash.

This isn't a hate on EJ posting. I look at this team and think it's got the right mix to make the playoffs. The exception is simply Quarterback. I don't know if EJ will be a good QB or not, but it seems he's probably not ready to lead a team to the playoffs in 2 weeks. There's really nothing wrong with this, plenty of QBs benefit from a few years as a 2nd string.

If we brought in Kyle Orton (he's my best case decent vetern QB that's available) do you think we make the playoffs? I'm talking about if we brought him in tomorrow. I feel like having Spiller in a contract year, FredEx at still a productive point in his career, Woods, Johnson, and Watkins at WR, and the strong defense...you just need an average QB to get there.

I understand it's going to be EJ. Ironically I feel like it might be best for Marrone, Whaley, Brandon, and EJ if went to a backup role for the year learning while completely healthy. If he does poorly this year, some or all of those individuals are probably looking for a job.

Thoughts? Would Kyle Orton, lack of prep time withstanding, still end up providing a better season record than EJ? (I'm assuming he's in football shape ready to play; I don't really know)

Orton is a good insurance policy, who could, if healthy and playing at his usual level, manage games enough for the Bills to win if the defense is playing up to their full capabilities. Orton is not going to single-handedly win many games, if any. EJ doesn't have to look over his shoulder. Orton is on if EJ gets injured, or if he just shows nothing at all. If EJ plays the way he played last year even, he will continue to start.

EJ has a lot of improvements to make, and he can look straight-up inept at times. But there are other times, such as Cleveland, the Jets in Buffalo, Atlanta in TO, when he looked like a good young, up and coming QB. For some reason people choose to forget about those games. If EJ didn't get injured against Cleveland that looked like a "W". They were rolling the Browns. If Stevie and Chandler don't fumble, they beat Atlanta... bc EJ put them in position to do just that. And then his regular season record isn't 4-6 in games he started, but 6-4, even with the total duds in Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh, and the inconsistencies in other games.

What I don't like about EJ is that inconsistency in performance. What I like, is his demeanor, his physical talent, work ethic and what appears to be an ability to come back from adversity with something positive, even if only keeping a positive attitude. That's important. Negativity can eat a person up and ruin them. We might eventually need to draft a QB or go get one in Free Agency in 2015, but I'm hoping to see what #3 does over a 16 game season. In all fairness, 10 games in isn't enough to tell us anything one way or the other. The jury is out. And even if Orton did take over, he isn't a QB of the future. So I'm hoping the one we drafted is the guy.

Edited by purple haze

He doesn't have to be a savior but he will make an impact whether he sees the field on Sundays or not. His presence alone gives everyone on the team a little extra confidence that if the wheels fall off (through injury or poor play), there is a capable starter waiting in the stables. This is a good move by the front office.

he was despised in the locker room in Chicago He is a different breed of cat. His arm is not nfl caliber that is why they looked elsewhere.

Give orton 4 weeks to get this offense under his belt and I say let him play.

roll up the mats. Kyle orton will take the first opportunity exit stage right. Your idea that he should play is depressing in that it means the season is over.

Orton wouldn't have been brought in if the Doug's were happy with EJ. This has nothing to do with Tuel and everything to do with Orton being their last bet to save their jobs. Of course EJ will start against the Bears but if he gets out to a rocky start it'll be Orton time by week 3 or 4.

I am shocked. 4 pages into a KO v EJ thread and nobody has put up any meaningless stats.

I'll just have to do it then....

EJ Career & first 10 starts:

QBR: 77.7

Comp%: 58.8%

YPA: 6.4

TD%: 3.6%

INT%: 2.9%

KO Career:

QBR: 79.9

Comp%: 58.5%

YPA: 6.6

TD%: 3.7%

INT%: 2.6%

KO first 10 starts:

QBR: 62.5

Comp%: 54.9%

YPA: 5.3

TD%: 3.0%

INT%: 4.2%

Looks to me like we can expect KO to play to a similar level to that of what EJ did last season.

EJ looks like he is crappin' in his pants every time he steps on to the field.

See this is one of the criticisms I simply can't understand. Even some of his harshest critics---or should I say harshest reasonable critics--agree EJ never looks panicked. He appears to be very confident and in control when he hits the huddle. I'm sorry, I think you got it wrong on this one.