SF Real Estate Out of Control

Chef Jim

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Potrero Hill, which isn't a terrible neighborhood. That was one of the hotter places to live a few years back. Especially for the young techies. I looked at an apt there but opted not to rent it.

But the prices are really getting out of control, you got that right. I moved and figured I would be back. I'm no longer sure that's possible--for a number of reasons, but cost of living is a biggee. I rent, but the prices affect homeowners and renters alike. Since I have a buddy who owns apt buildings, and since I have rented with him in the past (a very good experience for both of us) he would cut likely me a small break. Not sure if that's enough for me to afford to go back, though. I miss that city every day.

It's Potrero Hill, which isn't a terrible neighborhood. That was one of the hotter places to live a few years back. Especially for the young techies. I looked at an apt there but opted not to rent it.

But the prices are really getting out of control, you got that right. I moved and figured I would be back. I'm no longer sure that's possible--for a number of reasons, but cost of living is a biggee. I rent, but the prices affect homeowners and renters alike. Since I have a buddy who owns apt buildings, and since I have rented with him in the past (a very good experience for both of us) he would cut likely me a small break. Not sure if that's enough for me to afford to go back, though. I miss that city every day.

Depends on which side of the "hill" you're on. The city side? Beautiful homes with great city views. The other side? Scary ass projects.

Wow... Here you can pick up a house for the price of a car... And in the country, decent area where you can leave your doors unlocked and windows open.

I actually do that here,

And no, you can't have my address.

Still can't beat the weather in San Diego. :rolleyes:

Actually it's just about perfect weather, every day. Honestly I find that boring. Gimme blizzards, fog, etc.

The weather here on the northeast coast of Florida is pretty boring too and much too hot for me. But we get some serious storms with a lot of lightning. That's pretty cool.

Actually it's just about perfect weather, every day. Honestly I find that boring. Gimme blizzards, fog, etc.

The weather here on the northeast coast of Florida is pretty boring too and much too hot for me. But we get some serious storms with a lot of lightning. That's pretty cool.

We have had some nasty storms roll through the past 2 days. 50-60MPH winds, torrential rain, dime sized hail, Intense lightning.

Wow... Here you can pick up a house for the price of a car... And in the country, decent area where you can leave your doors unlocked and windows open.

well, Austin's no Chicago but it's not exactly 'the country' either. the only way I'd leave my doors unlocked would be if I had armed security 24/7.

But dude ...your in GA! I assume that $800K is what they pay you to live there.

Haha depends what part, the cost of living is super cheap here (gas is currently $3.28 a gallon), and the area is really nice. Atlanta gets a really bad rap, but of course there are areas you don't go in to. Ive only been here 2 months, but I love it.

P.S. http://money.cnn.com/gallery/real_estate/2014/01/27/cities-moving/

:beer:

We have had some nasty storms roll through the past 2 days. 50-60MPH winds, torrential rain, dime sized hail, Intense lightning.

That's what I'm talking about.

But dude ...your in GA! I assume that $800K is what they pay you to live there.

:lol: I refrained from saying something similar, when it occurred to me I live in "South Georgia".

Haha depends what part, the cost of living is super cheap here (gas is currently $3.28 a gallon), and the area is really nice. Atlanta gets a really bad rap, but of course there are areas you don't go in to. Ive only been here 2 months, but I love it.

P.S. http://money.cnn.com.../cities-moving/

:beer:

I think if you are an adaptable person, you can find the positives in most any place. Most every place has its own particular charm, advantages and disadvantages. I've been happy no matter where I have ended up living. Some people focus on the negative, though.

With that said, Orlando is on CNN's list of top cities. And I suppose for some it might be paradise. And if I had to live there, I suppose I'd find the good there. But I'm so happy that if I had to relocate to Florida, it was to St Augustine. There is a veneer of civility to this place. A thin veneer to be sure, but a veneer nonetheless.

Been to Atlanta not fan of it, traffic is like Los Angeles

The property has 16.5 acres for 799K. Who needs all that land

If you were in the North, Alpharetta, Marietta, Sandy Springs etc then yes the traffic is absolutely awful there. I'm south and the traffic is no where near as bad. The north parts were overbuilt. A lot of Mass built communities.

Good thing about Where I live. Once you get outside the City limits it is required by law, you have to have at least 1.6 acres of land per house. It avoids overcrowding and mass built communities.

Ive looked at that SF house several times now and it just blows my mind that it is $850K