Astro-Notes, Tuesday Aug 19

Astrobot

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, they needed to fix the line and find the best 5 guys there. But, at this point, they've had all off season, voluntary and mandatory OTAs, camp, preseason games, and last year's footage to use for evaluation. I'm glad they moved guys around, allowed them to get experience at other positions, build some depth and all that good stuff.

But they now have less than 3 weeks before the season opener. I would suggest that the time for evaluations is over. It's time to make a decision and stick with.

Marrone said yesterday that their job is to find the best five and put them in there. That experiment was delayed with Cordy being out. Marrone also said that time to gel is overrated. More important to him to have the right five moving forward.

I think they go with Glenn-CWilliams-Wood-Pears-Seantrel this week, and I bet it works well both in running game and in pass protection. Second team I'd like to see is Seantrel-Cyril-Legursky-Urbik-Hairston, but the depth chart on the team site has Hairston at RG and Kouandjio at RT. The release of 'Unga leaves Hairston as backup at RG and RT, assuming Kujo is put on PS.

Marrone said yesterday that their job is to find the best five and put them in there. That experiment was delayed with Cordy being out. Marrone also said that time to gel is overrated. More important to him to have the right five moving forward.

I think they go with Glenn-CWilliams-Wood-Pears-Seantrel this week, and I bet it works well both in running game and in pass protection. Second team I'd like to see is Seantrel-Cyril-Legursky-Urbik-Hairston, but the depth chart on the team site has Hairston at RG and Kouandjio at RT. The release of 'Unga leaves Hairston as backup at RG and RT, assuming Kujo is put on PS.

no way kujo goes on practice squad he wouldnt last someone would pick him up he will be on this roster maybe not active on games days

Done!

It's a beautiful day here in Pittsford, 77 degrees, half clouds, half sun, with a mild breeze. I got there at Period 2 and left early.

Per.2----First down drill

It's good to see Cordy Glenn nailing down the LT spot again. The dominos have fallen, with Seantrel now over at RT next to Pears who's moved inside to RG. Wood's at Center, and Chris Williams LG.

Astro

Thanks 'Stro!

That line is what I envisioned with Henderson's early success.

Ranks, Rastro! Loving the OL shuffle and Marrone's comment: "not going to have my 5th best OL as a backup because he plays a different position."

THAT's forward thinking.

He said that? That's what we've all been sayin. When did Marrone start reading TSW?

I agree, they needed to fix the line and find the best 5 guys there. But, at this point, they've had all off season, voluntary and mandatory OTAs, camp, preseason games, and last year's footage to use for evaluation. I'm glad they moved guys around, allowed them to get experience at other positions, build some depth and all that good stuff.

But they now have less than 3 weeks before the season opener. I would suggest that the time for evaluations is over. It's time to make a decision and stick with.

From what Astrobot is saying, it looks like this current lineup should be the one to start opening day. Which gives them 2 more pre-season games and 2-1/2 more weeks before the season starts. If what Marrone is saying about time to gel being overrated is true, they should be fine.

Kujo (Cyrus Kouandjio if you've been on vacation) has been playing RT with the 2s or 3s at camp, and sucks.

Pears is doing better than I ever expected, so he's one of our OGs. He's 1.

CWilliams and Pears are pairing well with the OT or with Wood. Those can work. CWilliams is 2 right now.

Urbik and CWilliams are near their peak wheareas Cyril's upside is higher long term.Cyril is 3 now, with upside to be 2.

I like McClain at times but he's not as consistent as Pears (a phrase I never thought I'd write). McClain is 4.

Cyril will be good with experience, but IMHO won't be ready by Chicago, and I wonder if they'd be worried about 2 rookies next to each other.

Haven't seen Hairston at anything but swing tackle, but think he'd be a 2 at OG. He's sticking around as he's got upside too.

Great to hear, thanks again. I was worried about Pears' height (6'8"), but the 49'ers have Alex Boone at OG (well, he's holding out for a better contract) and he's also 6'8". But it sounds like he's doing well anyway. As for CW, hopefully he steps up. I still think that putting Richardson back to LG would make the most sense since he played on the left side in college (the last 2 years at LG) and would be an easier transition I would think, and because it would prevent 2 rookies playing next to each other. But I'm not an NFL coach.

no way kujo goes on practice squad he wouldnt last someone would pick him up he will be on this roster maybe not active on games days

As others have suggested, IR might be a consideration. Although he wouldn't be able to practice with the team (;)).

thanks astro. do you record this stuff on a voice recorder or videotape it and write it up later? either way its great.

boy its still shocking to me that Henderson looks so solid at tackle and Kujo looks so lost. i'll never understand the methodology behind scouting and assessing college players. but it sure is an inexact science.

we may have really lucked out with Henderson. Plus it cant hurt going against Mario in practice everyday from here on out. Everyone else is going to seem easier to the kid. Its like swinging a bat with those donut weights on them, then you take it off and the bat seems so easy to swing.

thanks astro. do you record this stuff on a voice recorder or videotape it and write it up later? either way its great.

boy its still shocking to me that Henderson looks so solid at tackle and Kujo looks so lost. i'll never understand the methodology behind scouting and assessing college players. but it sure is an inexact science.

we may have really lucked out with Henderson. Plus it cant hurt going against Mario in practice everyday from here on out. Everyone else is going to seem easier to the kid. Its like swinging a bat with those donut weights on them, then you take it off and the bat seems so easy to swing.

i think part of it was that kujo played for one of the best programs in the country while henderson didn't, and then the drug problems on top of that.at the time a lot of people said henderson could go undrafted, even though he beat out cyrus at dash time and weight reps, as well as being a bit bigger.

so far, it looks like the shock of free falling in the draft was a wake up call and marrone made a point of saying that henderson was on a very tight leash. the man has been the biggest pleasant suprise at training camp and marrone has said that he and glenn might be some of the best bookends in the league.

Kujo (Cyrus Kouandjio if you've been on vacation) has been playing RT with the 2s or 3s at camp, and sucks.

Pears is doing better than I ever expected, so he's one of our OGs. He's 1.

CWilliams and Pears are pairing well with the OT or with Wood. Those can work. CWilliams is 2 right now.

Urbik and CWilliams are near their peak wheareas Cyril's upside is higher long term.Cyril is 3 now, with upside to be 2.

I like McClain at times but he's not as consistent as Pears (a phrase I never thought I'd write). McClain is 4.

Cyril will be good with experience, but IMHO won't be ready by Chicago, and I wonder if they'd be worried about 2 rookies next to each other.

Haven't seen Hairston at anything but swing tackle, but think he'd be a 2 at OG. He's sticking around as he's got upside too.

Thats some fine insight .

Pears < Marrone mentioned previously that Pears started at tackle. I assumed he meant the NFL.

for those who are impatient , I would not be. Plenty of time to cross train. Everyone becomes more valuable. If only better understanding what the guy next to you is thinking and then going to do .

I have no idea who LG will b yet. But i feel strong that Urbik and Hairston are the swing back ups. While Urbik is the B U center also.

Just delighted to read your work Astro !

Always a pleasure when you stop in .

and of course

TY