How about Mark Sancheese ?

HOUSE

You're not seriously going to say that you think Tuel is a better backup than Sanchez, are you? I don't want Sanchez as my starter but a vet presence on the sideline and in the meeting room in addition to a guy who can step in and make a few starts if need be - I'll take that any day.

One of the major failings of Whaley is his handling of the backup QB spots. Unless Tuel shocks the world, the season is over if EJ goes down.

Just saying that these "bring anyone else in" threads don't solve the problem. No one is going to be happy with any QB one tick better than Tuel, etc.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez, imagine the hilarity that would ensue in New York city should the Bills sign Mr Buttfumble!

Heck, why not sign Tim Tebow..oh wait there is already a thread on that lame subject. More laughter from NYC.

C'mon guys, I realize things look bad. The current coaching staff / GM have made their proverbial bed, and are currently sleeping in it. Things should change by 2015...hopefully.

Can I just say:

By playing in consecutive AFC championship games, Mark Sanchez has accomplished more in the last 5 years as a professional quarterback, than the entire Bills organization has accomplished (in all but 4 years) of it's entire existence.

I think you missed that. Again:

By playing in consecutive AFC championship games, Mark Sanchez has accomplished more in the last 5 years as a professional quarterback, than the entire Bills organization has accomplished (in all but 4 years) of it's entire existence.

One more time:

we have EASILY the worst qb situation in the league in buffalo, and there's not even a team that's a close second.

we wanted Buddy out the door because he "hadn't addressed" the qb situation, but good god almighty, Fitz would be the day 1 starter on this team and he wouldn't even have to fight for the job.

i said this in the thread at the time (below) and i stand by it. I wouldn't just trade any 1 player for him, I would trade any 2 players not named sammy watkins for Mark Sanchez:

http://forums.twobil...hez-git-er-dun/

"In Buffalo: we have a top 10 defense, and couldn't make the playoffs and the story line is

"when will we have a quarterback??? how can this team win without a superstar quarterback???? we're doomed!!!!"

In New York: they had a top 10 quarterback, and made the conference title game in consecutive seasons, and the story line is:

"that defense was SICK. that defense carried the team. Sanchez didn't matter"

Can't have it both ways boys.

Sanchez's story is everything that's wrong with sports these days. 20 years ago he'd still be the starter in New York, and they'd surround him with wideouts and a running back. But because he's in NYC, that piece is overlooked, and 2.5 bad seasons later he's garbage.

People on this board still like FITZ for Gods sakes. How many times did Sanchez make Fitz look like a JV reject. Opening week 2012, for starters.

Would cut EJ right now and sign Sanchez if I was Whaley. My god, Sanchez never had the talent we have at wideout, much less running back. That arm?

Wait, I forgot "Butt fumble LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!"

He has eviscerated us. On numerous occasions. IN OUR HOUSE. "

all very good FACTS! . And he would have many more weapons here.

I guess there is a reason why you aren't managing a team in the nfl ? So you would trade say a Mario Williams and Kyle Williams straight up for a backup Qb named mark sanchez.

You do realize that during the two seasons that the Jets made the AFC championship, they had a top 3 defense and one of the better running games in the NFL? The subsequent seasons when they couldn't rely on those , and had to rely on Sanchez''s arm instead , they didn't do so hot.

and who was Sanchez throwing the ball to those years? Who were his running backs? Did he have 4 good to great RB's, 2 sick WR's, Robert Woods and Goodwin. NOPE.

There's no logic to Sanchez, Tebow, or any other "insert name here" quarterbacks. There wasn't logic previously to Vince Young, Kevin Kolb, Tyler Thigpen or Brad Smith. Ryan Fitzpatrick had a little logic, but he did graduate from Harvard. Brian Brohm, Trent Edwards, J.P. Losman, and Levi Brown also made no sense. One thing we can be sure of as Bills fans. Since Jim Kelly, we are ready at the drop of a hat to give up on whoever is our current quarterback and hitch our proverbial carts to the next guy with the fleeting hope that he helps us win a couple more games.

With that said, here's what I know about Mark Sanchez. His career completion percentage is 55.1%. In his 4 seasons as an NFL player, it hasn't changed by all that much. Notwithstanding what he's doing in the preseason, which many have suggested is irrelevant, he hasn't improved. In his 11 games last season, Manuel's was 58.8%. That's not much better, but still better than any season that Sanchez has had. Interceptions? 3.7% of the time Sanchez has thrown the ball, it's been a pick. 2.9% for Manuel or 22% less for mathies out there. QBR and other similar metrics all favor Manuel. So as I see it, unless Manuel regresses from where he was last year, he's still the better option.

There's no logic to Sanchez, Tebow, or any other "insert name here" quarterbacks. There wasn't logic previously to Vince Young, Kevin Kolb, Tyler Thigpen or Brad Smith. Ryan Fitzpatrick had a little logic, but he did graduate from Harvard. Brian Brohm, Trent Edwards, J.P. Losman, and Levi Brown also made no sense. One thing we can be sure of as Bills fans. Since Jim Kelly, we are ready at the drop of a hat to give up on whoever is our current quarterback and hitch our proverbial carts to the next guy with the fleeting hope that he helps us win a couple more games.

With that said, here's what I know about Mark Sanchez. His career completion percentage is 55.1%. In his 4 seasons as an NFL player, it hasn't changed by all that much. Notwithstanding what he's doing in the preseason, which many have suggested is irrelevant, he hasn't improved. In his 11 games last season, Manuel's was 58.8%. That's not much better, but still better than any season that Sanchez has had. Interceptions? 3.7% of the time Sanchez has thrown the ball, it's been a pick. 2.9% for Manuel or 22% less for mathies out there. QBR and other similar metrics all favor Manuel. So as I see it, unless Manuel regresses from where he was last year, he's still the better option.

None of what you said (which was well stated BTW), makes me think that he could not challenge for the starting position this season, and at the very least make a much better backup than what the Bills have now.

But as I said, I do not believe the Bills want competition for Manuel. And I'm not sure what the price-tag would be for Sanchise, but it might be a bit steep for a backup.

Sanchez is not the complete QB, but likely better than EJ right at this moment. Big risk to the current administration to bring him in, If he actually got in a game, he might outplay EJ and make out front office look really bad. But, we need a backup, and if Sanchez is cut, I say pick him up. He is not a #1 QB, but he had as lot of experience and has seen his share of pressure situations. We could do a lot worse. And, he ain't going to play in Philly.

Just to be certain we're all on the same page - we're talking about the BACKUP position. I believe everyone here understands that it's EJ's job to lose with a wide berth this entire season. Should he get INJURED (go figure) or just completely melt down, we have utter garbage at the backup position.

Not sure why the EJ apologist camp can't handle a very capable backup option being discussed.

Whaley/Marrone will not bring anyone to camp that could challenge Manuel for the starting position.

Probably, and that's stoopid. The guy should be on the bench learning, instead of perfecting his dump off's to Fred-EX.

Someone will lose their job over this, if the QB position is the reason the team flames out this season.

Guest Diesel-USMC

San Francisco lost to Denver yesterday, 34-0. I understand the call for new faces in Buffalo after mediocre to sometimes poor showings by our 10 regular season game old, 2nd year, 16th overall pick starting QB, our 2nd year old, undrafted 2/3 and our veteran, usually does enough 2/3. But, making any kind of trade for Sanchez to appease us for what, 3 games tops until we call for another? Meanwhile, the player we traded away is playing steller football or we find we could have used the traded away pick to get some more talent and we find ourselves right back here again, trying to point the finger at a single part of this team and determine it to be the real issue.

This preseason has been void of the "highlight reel" kind of stuff we all like to see. But, there is no denying, minus the lack of scoring, the Bills have been able to move the ball decent most times with EJ at the helm. We've seen some things manifest that is holding us back moreso than just a single position, namely QB, can overcome in reality.

I just dont feel the sky is falling vibe. I certainly dont feel the Sanchez vibe either. At this point, 3 games into the preseason, it is what it is.

Edited by ninja rooster

Just to be certain we're all on the same page - we're talking about the BACKUP position. I believe everyone here understands that it's EJ's job to lose with a wide berth this entire season. Should he get INJURED (go figure) or just completely melt down, we have utter garbage at the backup position.

Not sure why the EJ apologist camp can't handle a very capable backup option being discussed.

Because neither QB is a capable backup. I don't care if they bring someone else in. I actually hope they do but at least someone who can play a little.

San Francisco lost to Denver yesterday, 34-0. I understand the call for new faces in Buffalo after mediocre to sometimes poor showings by our 10 regular season game old, 2nd year, 16th overall pick starting QB, our 2nd year old, undrafted 2/3 and our veteran, usually does enough 2/3. But, making any kind of trade for Sanchez to appease us for what, 3 games tops until we call for another? Meanwhile, the player we traded away is playing steller football or we find we could have used the traded away pick to get some more talent and we find ourselves right back here again, trying to point the finger at a single part of this team and determine it to be the real issue.

This preseason has been void of the "highlight reel" kind of stuff we all like to see. But, there is no denying, minus the lack of scoring, the Bills have been able to move the ball decent most times with EJ at the helm. We've seen some things manifest that is holding us back moreso than just a single position, namely QB, can overcome in reality.

I just dont feel the sky is falling vibe. I certainly dont feel the Sanchez vibe either. At this point, 3 games into the preseason, it is what it is.

I think you miss the main point. The thought is not to bring Sanchise in as a starter, but rather as a backup for Manuel. The thought of Tuel or Lewis seeing the field during the regular season is terrifying to some. The main reason I don't see it happening is because even though he was being brought in as a backup, Sanchise would still be a challenge to Manuel for the starting position and I do not believe the Bills front office wants to push Manuel for whatever reason.

Same plan this year as last (when Kolb went down). Ride EJ to the playoffs. If he goes down, tank with Tuel/Thad. No team in the NFL is competing for a title with a back up QB. I'm starting to think, who ephedrine cares about 2nd OR 3rd QB? They would suck with Sanchez too, so don't PAY for the guy. Let's see what shakes down from the NFL tree at cut down time.

Guest Diesel-USMC

I think you miss the main point. The thought is not to bring Sanchise in as a starter, but rather as a backup for Manuel. The thought of Tuel or Lewis seeing the field during the regular season is terrifying to some. The main reason I don't see it happening is because even though he was being brought in as a backup, Sanchise would still be a challenge to Manuel for the starting position and I do not believe the Bills front office wants to push Manuel for whatever reason.

I can see where I seemed misleading. I know it was about a backup. But why would you do that and lose another player or 2015 pick? The Eages wouldn't just take any Tom, Dick or Harry in exchange for Sanchez, I dont think. The price would be too high. As far as Thad and Tuel, last year (which isn't this year) but, last year they did enough to keep us in some. They have looked less than steller this preseason and it would be bad if EJ went down. In my own mind though, I can't justify spending anything on Sanchez.

Edited by ninja rooster

I can see where I seemed misleading. I know it was about a backup. But why would you do that and lose another player or 2015 pick? The Eages wouldn't just take any Tom, Dick or Harry in exchange for Sanchez, I dont think. The price would be too high. As far as Thad and Tuel, last year (which isn't this year) but, last year they did enough to keep us in some. They have looked less than steller this preseason and it would be bad if EJ went down. In my own mind though, I can't justify spending anything on Sanchez.

Are you kidding?