Next and final step, a high profile coach.

Tipster19

We have for the most part all the necessary pieces for a play-off team. I hate to say it but this is EXACTLY the type of team that Parcels would take over and make into a winner. I wouldn't want Gruden but if the Bills really want to finish up the Pittsburgh Steelers' connection then they should dial up Cowher and just give him what he wants! Maybe if he gets real lucky Marrone can stay on as a Quality Control Coordinator or something.

Cowher is one of the most overrated coaches of all time. Only Dungy did less with more.

But I can not defend Marrone. His QB and OC decisions are defenseless. How can you go into a season with Jeff Tuel as the back-up QB?

If I were Whaley, I would tell Marrone that Hackett needs to go and Marrone needs to call the plays. Then there are no excuses. If EJ and the offense fail then it is all on Marrone.

If I were Whaley, I would tell Marrone that Hackett needs to go and Marrone needs to call the plays. Then there are no excuses. If EJ and the offense fail then it is all on Marrone.

Or we could wait till the season at least starts, but that's not as much fun when the pitchforks are sharpened in July these days...

marrone, hack-it and crossman will likely be gone next year. let's hope the DC lives up too the TBD hype. medicore colege coaches rarely

Make it in the NFL No matter what your Dad did in the league. i simply cannot believe who the back up QB's are. laughable, but easy on the wallet.

Cowher? it would take him a year to understand the rule changes, he is done.

We have for the most part all the necessary pieces for a play-off team. I hate to say it but this is EXACTLY the type of team that Parcels would take over and make into a winner. I wouldn't want Gruden but if the Bills really want to finish up the Pittsburgh Steelers' connection then they should dial up Cowher and just give him what he wants! Maybe if he gets real lucky Marrone can stay on as a Quality Control Coordinator or something.

This is a meaningless thread. The NFLs poorest franchise in the NFLs poorest city does not get to pick and choose amongst available personnel. You simply get what you can from the "B Lo/WNY connection" and family types attracted to laid back places (Brandon, Marrone, Jackson) . The top guys ain't comin' to the B Lo., be they players (unless you trap them for 4-5 years via the draft), coaches or management. People forget the immortal Jim Kelly "cried" when the Bills drafted him. Cried. We all know better (?), but Regrettably, that is to a large extent what top talent thinks when "the Bills" come calling. then they go elsewhere ASAP. Money they can get anywhere.

The franchise is probably going to sell for well under a Billion for a reason, my friends. Plus we probably get Ralph Wilson 2.0 for an owner -- no pop, no sizzle for management/coaching elite to get excited about. What has Pegs done to lift the worst in league Sabres? zippo. They are "promising" and they staying in town but at the end of the day bottom dwellers.

The Bills need to catch lightning in a bottle for a few years somehow. Cannot build it for the long term, the pieces fall off as soon as they can (Byrd, Levitre, LeBeau the list goes on and on (how do Saints keep Brees/Graham/Byrd and we can't ? --how does that happen) etc etc etc).

If EJ plays top 15 QB level and they stay healthy, they could win 9 or 10 this year, most of them home games, making for a fan friendly and successful season.

Take what you can get. This franchise exists on the fringes of the NFL. Ain't going anywhere fast. Ralph successfully trapped the team in WNY, so enjoy it in all it's "8 & 8 Forever" relative mediocrity. There are a lot of other US and Global cities that would love to have them.

But the tailgates are the best in the league. and we have the drunkest fans in the league. Great. That'll bring the best and brightest in there.....right

Edited by 8and8Forever

How is that on Marrone? Not that I'm condeming him for this, but that's up to Whaley to decide if we're OK or not. Sure he'll get input from Marrone, but roster make up is on the GM

But I can not defend Marrone. His QB and OC decisions are defenseless. How can you go into a season with Jeff Tuel as the back-up QB?

Ever since Parcells left the Giants he's another overrated guy who pushes the blame elsewhere and leaves the first time things don't go the way he likes. Hey Shanahan is available, but likely hard to get after his success in Washington. How about a Sean Peyton or Belchick or one of the Harboughs? Only problem is they all came the same route, guy was hired as new coach in some cases took awhile to become successful, others did well quickly but you rreally had no better idea what you were getting when the hire was made. . Bottom line there's nothing to show Marrone isn't just as a good of a coach. The only somewhat legit gripes you can make is on the hiring of his OC and special teams, but even there, lets see where we are at year end.

This is a meaningless thread. The NFLs poorest franchise in the NFLs poorest city does not get to pick and choose amongst available personnel. You simply get what you can from the "B Lo/WNY connection" and family types attracted to laid back places (Brandon, Marrone, Jackson) . The top guys ain't comin' to the B Lo., be they players (unless you trap them for 4-5 years via the draft), coaches or management. People forget the immortal Jim Kelly "cried" when the Bills drafted him. Cried. We all know better (?), but Regrettably, that is to a large extent what top talent thinks when "the Bills" come calling. then they go elsewhere ASAP. Money they can get anywhere.

The franchise is probably going to sell for well under a Billion for a reason, my friends. Plus we probably get Ralph Wilson 2.0 for an owner -- no pop, no sizzle for management/coaching elite to get excited about. What has Pegs done to lift the worst in league Sabres? zippo. They are "promising" and they staying in town but at the end of the day bottom dwellers.

The Bills need to catch lightning in a bottle for a few years somehow. Cannot build it for the long term, the pieces fall off as soon as they can (Byrd, Levitre, LeBeau the list goes on and on (how do Saints keep Brees/Graham/Byrd and we can't ? --how does that happen) etc etc etc).

If EJ plays top 15 QB level and they stay healthy, they could win 9 or 10 this year, most of them home games, making for a fan friendly and successful season.

Take what you can get. This franchise exists on the fringes of the NFL. Ain't going anywhere fast. Ralph successfully trapped the team in WNY, so enjoy it in all it's "8 & 8 Forever" relative mediocrity. There are a lot of other US and Global cities that would love to have them.

But the tailgates are the best in the league. and we have the drunkest fans in the league. Great. That'll bring the best and brightest in there.....right

I see your the life of the party at outings. Just kidding as I know it's frustrating. It's still pre-season, and no one is game planning yet. We'll see. I'm not going down the hall with my hair on fire yet.

!@#$ high profile. How about very competent?

I'm not going to jump on the fire Marrone bandwagon but...Hackett so far has left much to be desired. Until the games mean something I'm not ready to forget the 2013 (notso)special teams. Ignoring the BU QB position. An o-line (Marrone's "specialty) that at times has trouble getting out of its own way. If we don't have a minimum of 2 new starters on the o-line for the first game then those off season moves failed.

Game day...show some stones big boy. Figgies on 4th & short in preseason don't instill confidence. If Hackett is unable to call a good game then take over those duties.

ALL of the pieces necessary? I think a franchise QB still has to emerge. EJ may be that guy, but until he proves he is I'm not checking that box. I have hope for the receiving corps, but Watkins has yet to play a real NFL game and he's the only one teams are going to have to game plan for. Again, I'm hopeful that we have others developing, but there is much left to prove. I like our RBs, but our starter is on the last year of his deal and our backup is 33 and on the last year of his deal. The defense has some real talent, but was very susceptible to the run last season. Even if Spikes fixes that he's on a one year deal, too.

I'm of the mind that I want to see what the Bills have before making such grandiose statements.