Preseason games around the NFL week 2

YoloinOhio

Hoyer and Manziel and Griffin and Cousins all look like crap to me. ;)

Indeed

BTW, what am I missing here. (I know, half a brain, etc).. Why are the Browns giving Gordon the reps that could be used for someone who will actually play to start the year?

Tough break for Hoyer.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed

BTW, what am I missing here. (I know, half a brain, etc).. Why are the Browns giving Gordon the reps that could be used for someone who will actually play to start the year?

Tough break for Hoyer.

He is trying to get the suspension reversed. Goodell is a shady mofo so he has a chance.

He is trying to get the suspension reversed. Goodell is a shady mofo so he has a chance.

Best case scenario, half a season, IMO. Worst case, full season. But he can dream.

And since the last post, Cousins breaks out and strings a few good throws together.

Best case scenario, half a season, IMO. Worst case, full season. But he can dream.

And since the last post, Cousins breaks out and strings a few good throws together.

No one shreds 2nd & 3rd teamers like Cousins. :)

IMO, Cousins is meh. Will have a solid career as a backup but his upside is Fitz at best. I've watched him since college and he doesn't have a skill that will even make him into a every game starter in the NFL. Jmo of course.

That said, he would be an upgrade as a backup.

Cousins looks good to me. Well compared to EJ he looks like a pro bowler. :lol:

Compare EJ's stats vs. Cousins in the regular season and get back to me.

No one shreds 2nd & 3rd teamers like Cousins. :)

IMO, Cousins is meh. Will have a solid career as a backup but his upside is Fitz at best. I've watched him since college and he doesn't have a skill that will even make him into a every game starter in the NFL. Jmo of course.

That said, he would be an upgrade as a backup.

Compare EJ's stats vs. Cousins in the regular season and get back to me.

I will agree to a point. He has more talent than Fitz, better arm strength for instance. But Fitz has experience, smarts and guts (maybe too much). I'm not begging for Cousins to come to the Bills, but I'd love to see what he can do with 16-20 games under his belt. I think he'd be the clear starter in Houston based on potential alone.

Unlike many guys here, I don't write QBs off this early. These guys are still developing to a degree. The younger they are, the more they have a shot. With the right team, a strong running game and D, a decent OL and guys can develop. Hell Brady couldn't throw deep with any consistency for the first couple years. He got strong!

Would Romo have been ready when he came into the NFL? Alex Smith has come a long way since his early days in SF. I'm not saying because Romo or Smith did it, anyone can, And I'm not suggesting any of these guys has Brady potential. But sometimes you have to let it play out. Too many people (and I'm not talking about you C Bisq, as you tend to be reasonable) think they are QB experts who can predict a QBs career arc after a few games.

There are so many variables that help to make one successful or a bust. The right coaches for your style/psychology. A decent OL. RBs that protect. WRs that come back and help out the QB. An popular aging vet looking over your shoulder, instead of helping you succeed. Some guys can tough out the bad times, some can't and some don't have to.

Kirk Cousins is Jeff Tuel but slightly better all around, which makes him Trent Edwards. And that slightly better gets him nowhere in the NFL.

Would I like him on the Bills? More than Tuel.

Cousins also has the dreaded "Ryan Neufeld Syndrome." Poor guy.

Maybe Trent before the injury, where he lost the ability to let it go,. Trent actually had some potential then. And chroise!

I will agree to a point. He has more talent than Fitz, better arm strength for instance. But Fitz has experience, smarts and guts (maybe too much). I'm not begging for Cousins to come to the Bills, but I'd love to see what he can do with 16-20 games under his belt. I think he'd be the clear starter in Houston based on potential alone.

Unlike many guys here, I don't write QBs off this early. These guys are still developing to a degree. The younger they are, the more they have a shot. With the right team, a strong running game and D, a decent OL and guys can develop. Hell Brady couldn't throw deep with any consistency for the first couple years. He got strong!

Would Romo have been ready when he came into the NFL? Alex Smith has come a long way since his early days in SF. I'm not saying because Romo or Smith did it, anyone can, And I'm not suggesting any of these guys has Brady potential. But sometimes you have to let it play out. Too many people (and I'm not talking about you C Bisq, as you tend to be reasonable) think they are QB experts who can predict a QBs career arc after a few games.

There are so many variables that help to make one successful or a bust. The right coaches for your style/psychology. A decent OL. RBs that protect. WRs that come back and help out the QB. An popular aging vet looking over your shoulder, instead of helping you succeed. Some guys can tough out the bad times, some can't and some don't have to.

Perfectly reasonable response and I don't disagree with any of it. I agree it is insane how quickly we write off Qbs and many young players.

So I won't write Cousins off. Only thing is he was a known product in college. Romo was off the radar (and was a player of the year in his division). And to me, Alex Smith is the best case of a game manager.

If Manuel develops into a Smith like qb, that could get us to the playoffs. But that would be a little disappointing.

As Kelly said, if you don't have something special about you, it's going to be really hard to make it in this league. I loved Fitz but ultimately his lack of physical ability was his downfall. I see Cousins in a similar vein.

If EJ fails, it won't be for lack of skill.

Perfectly reasonable response and I don't disagree with any of it. I agree it is insane how quickly we write off Qbs and many young players.

So I won't write Cousins off. Only thing is he was a known product in college. Romo was off the radar (and was a player of the year in his division). And to me, Alex Smith is the best case of a game manager.

If Manuel develops into a Smith like qb, that could get us to the playoffs. But that would be a little disappointing.

As Kelly said, if you don't have something special about you, it's going to be really hard to make it in this league. I loved Fitz but ultimately his lack of physical ability was his downfall. I see Cousins in a similar vein.

If EJ fails, it won't be for lack of skill.

Again, mostly agree. But I think EJ does have something special about him. I'm not sure I've ever seen a QB this young as relaxed when things go sideways. He clearly has the physical talent, he's reportedly a very hard worker and is quite coachable. Unlike a lot of former Bills QBs he doesn't seem to ever be flustered or down on himself. That could serve him well going forward. If he can be a game manager now, he could develop into a legit franchise QB. There is nothing at the moment, other than his accuracy, that would hold him back.

Again, mostly agree. But I think EJ does have something special about him. I'm not sure I've ever seen a QB this young as relaxed when things go sideways. He clearly has the physical talent, he's reportedly a very hard worker and is quite coachable. Unlike a lot of former Bills QBs he doesn't seem to ever be flustered or down on himself. That could serve him well going forward. If he can be a game manager now, he could develop into a legit franchise QB. There is nothing at the moment, other than his accuracy, that would hold him back.

Agreed. Personally, I think pass accuracy is overrated of you can make big plays. Id rather EJ lead the NFL in pass completions over 20 yards than completion percentage.

But it's good to have you and your reasoning back.

Dockett has torn his ACL and MCL in practice today:

@Sportsnet

Cardinals DT Darnell Dockett tears ACL in practice, to undergo season-ending surgery http://ow.ly/At2De

#NFL pic.twitter.com/wRnYKF7RpB

As much as people want to get worked up about preseason, the only thing that really matters is getting out healthy. That's a shame.