Why Does Al Sharpton Need Police Officer's Name?

3rdnlng

No, I understand that. I don't know what the 200 years of slavery and 100 years of segregation would break up the black family after the '50s. .

The impact is debatable of course, but you cannot overestimate the effect the system of chattel slavery had on the concept of family and manhood in the African American population. It's not something that a culture recovers from quickly, if ever. The entire system hinged on emasculating males while simultaneously shattering any notion of family before it could take hold. From castration to selling off newborns, the ruling class actively worked to destroy any other patriarchy but their own.

This continued well past abolition and even past Jim Crow in different ways with different outcomes by both ends of the political spectrum. Abolition wasn't the end, let's not forget in the 1950s there were still states where black folk couldn't even vote. It's been less than 70 years since then, compared to three centuries of systematic oppression aimed at disintegrating the black family unit and you can see it really hasn't been long enough for the scars of slavery to have completely faded away.

(All of that said as an aside to your question rather than having anything to do with this actual topic or 3rd's OP)

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, I understand that. I don't know what the 200 years of slavery and 100 years of segregation would break up the black family after the '50s. .

The 300 year shaft left blacks disproportionately susceptible to getting sucked into the welfare state and suffering its effects.

The impact is debatable of course, but you cannot overestimate the effect the system of chattel slavery had on the concept of family and manhood in the African American population. It's not something that a culture recovers from quickly, if ever. The entire system hinged on emasculating males while simultaneously shattering any notion of family before it could take hold. From castration to selling off newborns, the ruling class actively worked to destroy any other patriarchy but their own.

This continued well past abolition and even past Jim Crow in different ways with different outcomes by both ends of the political spectrum. Abolition wasn't the end, let's not forget in the 1950s there were still states where black folk couldn't even vote. It's been less than 70 years since then, compared to three centuries of systematic oppression aimed at disintegrating the black family unit and you can see it really hasn't been long enough for the scars of slavery to have completely faded away.

(All of that said as an aside to your question rather than having anything to do with this actual topic or 3rd's OP)

Thanks for all the info.............Why was the rate of marriage so high then. I had read what somebody posted up above before - that I think in 1950, the marriage rate was higher for blacks than for whites.

Thanks for all the info.............Why was the rate of marriage so high then. I had read what somebody posted up above before - that I think in 1950, the marriage rate was higher for blacks than for whites.

World War Two did more positive for African American culture and status than perhaps anything else in our history. The integration of the military coupled with the manufacturing boom created jobs in urban centers -- jobs that haven't been there since the mid 80s nowadays. It was that prosperity that fueled the Civil Right's movement.

And it goes beyond just the welfare state, into the legal system itself. Whether ingrained in our nature or an artificial construct of some kind, African Americans continue to fight an uphill battle.

I'm pretty sure you and I have a different take on both why that is the case as well as the extent to which it's the case.

World War Two did more positive for African American culture and status than perhaps anything else in our history. The integration of the military coupled with the manufacturing boom created jobs in urban centers -- jobs that haven't been there since the mid 80s nowadays. It was that prosperity that fueled the Civil Right's movement.

As importantly, it provided black American with the opportunities for vastly improved literacy rates (one of the main reasons for segregation in the WWII military was that literacy rates between blacks and other races were so different - by a ratio of 4-1 or worse - that blacks and whites couldn't even be trained together. Simply putting black draftees through basic training drastically improved literacy). It's no coincidence that the Civil Rights movement was driven largely by the first widely literate black demographic in America.

That it took so long...that's Abe Lincoln's fault. :devil:

Good info, Greggy

:beer:

I'm pretty sure you and I have a different take on both why that is the case as well as the extent to which it's the case.

Certainly, but I bet we'd be a lot closer than you suspect.

As importantly, it provided black American with the opportunities for vastly improved literacy rates (one of the main reasons for segregation in the WWII military was that literacy rates between blacks and other races were so different - by a ratio of 4-1 or worse - that blacks and whites couldn't even be trained together. Simply putting black draftees through basic training drastically improved literacy). It's no coincidence that the Civil Rights movement was driven largely by the first widely literate black demographic in America.

That it took so long...that's Abe Lincoln's fault. :devil:

Great point.

Elon has a top tier law school. And a Bills fan moving to the area, soon.

http://www.elonpendulum.com/2014/08/hands-dont-shoot-unites-elon/

“Michael Brown, an 18-year-old male who had recently graduated from high school was planning on attending his first day of college two days after his death. To Elon’s class of 2018 — Michael Brown could have been your classmate,” Pierce , a senior, said.