Mission Creep

If ever there was a situation cocked and primed for mission creep it is the newest twist in the saga that is Iraq. POTUS, in announcing humanitarian assistance as well as strictly focused surgical strikes on ISIS (or whatever cocktail of initials you choose), drew some "lines in the sand" in terms of no boots on the ground, Iraq must solve their own problems, and the US would not function as Iraq's air force, etc.

The door is wide open for mission creep of the first magnitude.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If ever there was a situation cocked and primed for mission creep it is the newest twist in the saga that is Iraq. POTUS, in announcing humanitarian assistance as well as strictly focused surgical strikes on ISIS (or whatever cocktail of initials you choose), drew some "lines in the sand" in terms of no boots on the ground, Iraq must solve their own problems, and the US would not function as Iraq's air force, etc.

The door is wide open for mission creep of the first magnitude.

By design. It allows Obama to progressively escalate a series of half-measures that permits him to argue that he's addressing the problem, while simultaneously arguing that it's not his fault because other people didn't do what they were supposed to.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/169035-can-we-finally-admit-us-foreign-policy-is-a-disaster/page__st__60#entry3202273

But what happens when the enemy of our enemy is part of the axis of evil? Or is that not a thing anymore?

Funny isn't it. The 3 "axis of evil" countries had nothing to do with 9/11. In fact Shi'ite Iran was a bitter rival of bin laden, and bin laden didn't like Saddam because although sunni was a secularist. Furthermore iran and iraq considered one another mortal enemies because of the war (in which we sponsored iraq aggression) whuch killed 1 million iranians. So the implication they were working together amongst themselves or along with bin laden was preposterous.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Funny isn't it. The 3 "axis of evil" countries had nothing to do with 9/11. In fact Shi'ite Iran was a bitter rival of bin laden, and bin laden didn't like Saddam because although sunni was a secularist. Furthermore iran and iraq considered one another mortal enemies because of the war (in which we sponsored iraq aggression) whuch killed 1 million iranians. So the implication they were working together amongst themselves or along with bin laden was preposterous.

First of all, try putting a coherent sentence together. 2nd, our aid to Iraq was before they invaded Kuwait and threatened Saudi Arabia. Who ever said that Iraq and Iran were ever working together?

the enemy of my enemy is my frenemy

More like: the enemy of my enemy of my friend of my enemy of my enemy's friend of my friend of my enemy is my enemy's second cousin twice removed from my friend's enemy's gardener's friend.

Or something.

More like: the enemy of my enemy of my friend of my enemy of my enemy's friend of my friend of my enemy is my enemy's second cousin twice removed from my friend's enemy's gardener's friend.

What's that make U.S.? Absolutely nothing.

Mission Creep: When incremental changes, often seemingly unrelated, accumulate resulting in major changes in policy and objectives.

For example - http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/08/11/us-reportedly-sending-arms-to-iraq-kurds-in-battle-against-militants/

Not that any one element is necessarily a bad thing, but the totality often results in POTUS' foreign policy incompetence showing. Lesson to be learned: Don't make never/always statements, nor draw lines in the sand, in the early innings.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/08/01/barack-obama-and-john-kerry-carried-out-most-historic-strategic-blunder-in/

At this point the administration, if it truly wants to limit the damage to our own national security and reverse the strategic threat to the survival of Israel, needs to be honest with itself and acknowledge its historic mistake in its approach to the Muslim Brotherhood and its stepchild, Hamas. The Muslim Brotherhood is the godfather of all Sunni terrorist groups, from Al Qaeda to Hamas, a fact these groups openly admit.

This is a classic war of good versus evil. The only difference between the Muslim Brotherhood and its terrorist offspring is the deception perpetrated by the Muslim Brotherhood in portraying itself as opposed to violence and committed to political pluralism. Nothing could be further from the truth. All one needs to do is read the covenant of the Muslim Brotherhood in which it states its commitment to carry out jihad to dominate the world, read the contemporary incendiary statements of Muslim Brotherhood officials issued in Arabic and not in English, and observe the Muslim Brotherhood hatred and persecution of of Christians, secular women, non-believing Muslims, infidels and gays.

This administration’s current policy towards the Muslim Brotherhood extends from the legitimacy it has conferred on the Muslim Brotherhood organization overseas and its chief patron, Qatar, to the embrace of Muslim Brotherhood front groups in the United States. This administration has gone so far as to ban the mention of the term “radical Islam” and to claim that the word jihad means only peaceful struggle and not violent commitment to impose Islam, which is the genuine historic and religious definition of jihad.

Is anyone else terrified by the thought of a de-facto US-armed radical Sunni Muslim state taking over the whole of Iraq, Syria and Jordan?

Just imagine the consequences of it. Not that there's anything we can DO about it, but in reading up about the Islamic State, i find myself chilled.

Or something.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw ISIS send out a Tweet hatin on Obama last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw ISIS send out a Tweet hatin on Obama last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

That's the other quote I was considering using. But the "Spaceballs" one fit better.

Is ISIS An Existential Threat?

by Patrick J. Buchanan, August 12, 2014

Is Sen. Graham right that an “existential threat” is at hand? Is our very existence as a nation in peril? Graham says no force in the Mideast can stop ISIL without us. Is this true?

Turkey, a nation of 76 million, has the second-largest army in NATO, equipped with U.S. weapons, and an air force ISIL does not have.

If President Recep Tayyip Erdogan wanted to crush ISIS, he could seal his border to foreign fighters entering Syria and send the Turkish army to assist President Bashar Assad in annihilating ISIS in Syria.

The jihadists of the Islamic State may be more motivated, but they are hugely outnumbered and outgunned in the region.

The Syrian government and army, Hezbollah in Lebanon, the Shia-dominated government of Iraq, a Shia Iran of 70 million, and the Kurds in Syria and Kurdistan are all anti-Islamic State and willing to fight.

All are potential allies in a coalition to contain or crush ISIS, as is Vladimir Putin’s Russia, if U.S. diplomacy were not frozen in the 1980s.

Only last August, McCain and Graham were attacking Obama for not enforcing his “red line” by bombing Syria’s army, the most successful anti-ISIL force in the field.

Let Middle Easterners take the lead in fighting this newest Middle East war.

http://www.theameric...e-the-warhawks/

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack