Mission Creep

They kill him, then we trade five Gitmo detainees for the headless body?

Seriously did obl do this to make a statement? Does he not care about the other reporter and potential media backlash? Or does he have intelligence IS will save the hostage for now? Or info where he is to attempt another rescue op? Something else not disclosed?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously did obl do this to make a statement? Does he not care about the other reporter and potential media backlash? Or does he have intelligence IS will save the hostage for now? Or info where he is to attempt another rescue op?

Seriously. Either today the policy is "We don't negotiate with terrorists," or Obama's not even involved in the decision-making process any more.

Or both - given what I've heard today, I wouldn't be surprised if Obama's uninvolved, and DoD is defaulting back to "We don't negotiate..." on their own.

Seriously. Either today the policy is "We don't negotiate with terrorists," or Obama's not even involved in the decision-making process any more.

Or both - given what I've heard today, I wouldn't be surprised if Obama's uninvolved, and DoD is defaulting back to "We don't negotiate..." on their own.

Sounds about right, these bureaucracies have plenty of momentum on their own and the plans had been made. Not going to change gears especially when the commander in chief is out doing this ...

What Obama did after speech on ISIS:

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

This is a brutal front page, I don't care who you are....

If that resonates negatively with voters, won't be long before Hillary is out criticizing him for it.

"Well look, it's not what I'd be doing anyway. I think at times like this a president needs to show leadership and compassion."

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I don't know what he's supposed to do...cloister himself for 24 hours, wailing and tearing his clothes?

I don't know what he's supposed to do either, but I CAN tell you what he's NOT supposed to do: run off for a round of golf immediately after releasing a statement on a beheaded journalist.

It's just poor form and a classic example of how not to lead. Especially golfing, of all things. Hell, he could have given the statement, then have someone take photos of him meeting with advisors and then played golf a few hours later. But to immediately head to the course after his statment was the stupidest thing he could have done from an optics standpoint.

And I mean that literally, not figuratively.

I don't know what he's supposed to do either, but I CAN tell you what he's NOT supposed to do: run off for a round of golf immediately after releasing a statement on a beheaded journalist.

It's just poor form and a classic example of how not to lead. Especially golfing, of all things. Hell, he could have given the statement, then have someone take photos of him meeting with advisors and then played golf a few hours later. But to immediately head to the course after his statment was the stupidest thing he could have done from an optics standpoint.

And I mean that literally, not figuratively.

Like that's going to work. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a tee time on MV?

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/08/karl-rove-obama-james-foley-golf-110220.html

Rove explained that after Bush delivered a speech commenting on an attack on Israel while vacationing in New England, he decided to put away the putter for the rest of his presidency.

“This really caused President Bush to examine his behavior in a time of war, and it ultimately caused him to decide to give up golf for the balance of his presidency,” Rove said. “He just couldn’t square the gap, the visual gap, between having to make statements like the statements President Obama had to make and being on the golf course.”

Islamic State militants seize four more foreign hostages in Syria

Jihadists flush with arms and relying on shock tactics abduct Europeans and Japanese national as US strikes continue

Flush with looted weapons, buoyed by sweeping gains in Syria and eager to shock, Islamic State militants have seized four more foreign hostages near Aleppo in recent days, taking to more than 20 the number of foreigners they now hold.

http://www.theguardi...es-syria-aleppo

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• 2 months later...