I hate Jeff Tuel; Not really hate, but you know what I mean

In all fairness, football is the ultimate team game and it's silly to put all the wins and losses on a qb. But dear lord, I don't think I've ever seen a worse college record for a NFL qb ever.

Honest question and I'd love for someone to answer it. Has there ever been a NFL qb with a worse college record than Tuel's?

I asked in another thread but don't think there was an answer --- Tuels career had so few wins that if you packed them into one season the team wouldn't qualify for a bowl game.... I initially asked which nfl qb had never qualified for a bowl game in a four year career (I imagine no one comes out early without a strong winning record), but then amended to add or win his conference if it wasn't bowl level competition.....are there any in the nfl? Fitz came to mind but he won the Ivy League..... Have any starters not achieved a single .500 college season?

Even at a bad school you'd think a good qb would knock out the teams outside the top 50 pretty consistently and occassionally win one above the teams ability.

You do realize we only had 200 yards rushing because KC was afraid of Tuel's arm? Right?

Come on.....

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked in another thread but don't think there was an answer --- Tuels career had so few wins that if you packed them into one season the team wouldn't qualify for a bowl game.... I initially asked which nfl qb had never qualified for a bowl game, but then amended to add or win his conference if it wasn't bowl level competition.....are there any in the nfl? Fitz came to mind but he won the Ivy League..... Have any starters not achieved a single .500 college season?

Even at a bad school you'd think a good qb would knock out the teams outside the top 50 pretty consistently and occassionally win one above the teams ability.

Come on.....

It was a joke.

But he did hit that beautiful pass to Goodwin early. That helped.

So EJ having 296 against the #2 overall defense doesn't count? Or rebounding against Rex Ryan in terrible conditions? Again, we scored 13 points against KC (we had 200 yards rushing!). EJ lost a game against ATL where we scored 31 points.

And the rookie thing is mute. EJ actually had significantly less practice time than Tuel did last year.

Again, I'm a Bills fan. I want both guys to develop into players. But creating (and not pointing at you) a qb debate when there isn't one is pointless.

Tuel had more practice time than EJ did last year.

The only person creating a QB debate is you in your head. Tuel doing well doesn't mean that Manuel will fail, just as Tuel doing poorly doesn't mean that Manuel will succeed. The two players are unrelated.

I thought Tuel played well in at least one preseason game last year (going off of memory here). I was also impressed with his play against KC. More about moving the chains and extending drives (which I happen to place an extremely high value on.). And I seem to recall that almost everyone, including national media and a lot of Bills fans, predicted that KC was going to absolutely destroy the Bills. Wasn't KC undefeated coming into that game? I thought they were, could be wrong about that too.

So based on the level of pressure for that game, I thought Tuel handled it exceptionally well. During that pick 6 play I was screaming at the field that it was one of the most idiotic play calls ever (thanks Hacket). But yes Tuel did throw the pick.

And Tuel did have a pretty lousy game against Cleveland. So fans have a right to question advancing him.

If Tuel does manage to outperform the other quarterbacks throughout the next 2 preseason games, then I think he deserves a shot to run the number ones in the 4th or 5th preseason game before regular season starts. If he still played great, then the coaches would have to give credit where credit is due and play whichever qb they think would give them the best chance to win with. They claim to do that now, but sometimes I wonder.

Is Tuel likely to outplay EJ and Thad in the next two preseason games? No... But it is cool to think maybe one of these quarterbacks, any one of them, might step it up and become much better than what they have shown us over the last year. I don't care which one of them does it. I will root for that guy if it happens.

I would rather have Tuel as a backup than Lewis. Lewis got us a couple wins last year being a gamer but he's struggling this year in camp and I was honestly nervous most throws he made last year. I think Tuel could be a competent backup. I can't justify it with stats, I just see a QB with confidence and potential when he steps on the field.

One injury over 5 years doesn't have the same gravity as 3 over 10 games. Anyway, I fail to see how Brees has anything to with Manuel. Different players on different teams in different circumstances. The Bills are in "win now" mode. Not "develop EJ" mode.

Presuming they believe that EJ can develop -- and all signs point to "yes, they do believe this" -- what would you have them do? Sign all the HOF quarterbacks that are just falling out of trees? Drafting all the HOF NFL-ready QBs that are out there?

Or is it just TRAID FR BORTLES, SKELTON IS AVAILABLE, and other nonsense?

Jeff Tuel looks exactly the way he did last preseason which was pretty good He has yet to show that he can win a game. Before I anoint him the backup. I would like to see him have successful drives that don't end in interceptions. I think he can be better than Fitz if given the opportunity but that's not saying much.

This HoF game was like a scrimmage game, and its really to early to see how any offensive player will perform 4 weeks from now.

EJ had a rather poor game in getting balls batted down, and he really didn't play all that much. 7 attempts is nothing, but going 2 of 7 was lame, he was playing against the Giants 1st string tho. EJ needs to get more playing time at this point IMO.

Looking at Jeff Tuel and his college history, I just don't have faith this kid can ever be a winner. I see a lesser version of Fitz in Tuel, without the escape-ability or playing experience.

This HoF game was like a scrimmage game, and its really to early to see how any offensive player will perform 4 weeks from now.

EJ had a rather poor game in getting balls batted down, and he really didn't play all that much. 7 attempts is nothing, but going 2 of 7 was lame, he was playing against the Giants 1st string tho. EJ needs to get more playing time at this point IMO.

2 of 7 are his #s. But contributing to those were Watkins getting boxed out, and Big Mike mistiming his jump. Takes a team.

No head coach in the league would do this. NO HEAD COACH IN THE WORLD WOULD DO THIS in our scenario.

Ej. Drafted #1. Is without question, debate, wonder, wish, or anything like that NOT THE STARTER OF THIS TEAM RIGHT NOW.

Wow. I can't believe you just came out and said it... :lol:

Only a Tuel fan would suggest this.

After the free preseason game we got, no coach would do what you're suggesting.

That would be like giving up on your first round pick. Teams do that sure. But not when he showed flashes of being a top qb and also when injuries were a factor.

Fans may give up on a #1 draft pick and go with the undrafted qb who was hot LAST YEAR in preseason but took a dump on the field when it really mattered. Fans may do that. But not coaches.

So my friend, I say this to you: I am so glad you're not the head coach of this team.

And I'm glad that your'e glad. However, I think we'll BOTH be glad if this fourteen-year playoff drought ended this season. I could care less about EJ's personal feelings right now... What has EJ done to be anointed the undisputed starter at QB? Why shouldn't he have to fight to establish himself as the #1 QB? -Honestly, if Tuel is that bad, then what the heck are you afraid of?

A responsible coaching staff MUST do it's due diligence to ensure the absolute BEST product makes it onto the field. All else is FOLLY!

Everybody loves the underdog and of course, the back up quarterback.

Win, loss record aside, I remember a gangly quarterback from Notre Dame

by the name of Joe Montana. Well, he didn't have a very good arm either

and we all know how he made out.

The definition: "Strong like bull, dumb like tractor" is not what the Bills need for

a QB. FSU dumbed down the playbook for EJ for a reason, as did the Bills in 2013.

Was it rookie jitters ? A learning curve ? Intimidated by the competition ? All the above ?

At this point Stevie Wonder can see who is progressing at QB and I'm sure it's

bothering the coaches (Doug Marrone's interview for example) just as much as it's

bothering some of the fans. I say, go with the hot hand and don't be afraid to admit

you made a mistake if it don't work out.

Unfortunately their ego's will be their absolute un-doing if the un-drafted Tuel eventually

beats out the holier-than-thou first rounder. Talk about egg on your face !

Just my opinion folks and like our backsides, we all all have one.

Then I shouldn't be driving. Tuel is progressing? He had a minute to go in the half after the blocked punt. His final 2 plays:

A pass in tight coverage. 3 guys covering one guy. To top it off, a bad pass. uncatchable by all 4 guys. lol

Then the int.

Then Thad guy Thad came in after half.

When it matters,the guy sucks. Last year he had one td 3 ints.

Then I shouldn't be driving. Tuel is progressing? He had a minute to go in the half after the blocked punt. His final 2 plays:

A pass in tight coverage. 3 guys covering one guy. To top it off, a bad pass. uncatchable by all 4 guys. lol

Then the int.

Then Thad guy Thad came in after half.

When it matters,the guy sucks. Last year he had one td 3 ints.

I slowed it down and watched it, it actually looks like it hit hogans hands first. I was amazed when I saw it, because on the surface it did not seem to have a chance. And you are nitpicking on the INT, it was a decent throw, and at least not one that was likely to become an INT

Everybody loves the underdog and of course, the back up quarterback.

Win, loss record aside, I remember a gangly quarterback from Notre Dame

by the name of Joe Montana. Well, he didn't have a very good arm either

and we all know how he made out.

The definition: "Strong like bull, dumb like tractor" is not what the Bills need for

a QB. FSU dumbed down the playbook for EJ for a reason, as did the Bills in 2013.

Was it rookie jitters ? A learning curve ? Intimidated by the competition ? All the above ?

At this point Stevie Wonder can see who is progressing at QB and I'm sure it's

bothering the coaches (Doug Marrone's interview for example) just as much as it's

bothering some of the fans. I say, go with the hot hand and don't be afraid to admit

you made a mistake if it don't work out.

Unfortunately their ego's will be their absolute un-doing if the un-drafted Tuel eventually

beats out the holier-than-thou first rounder. Talk about egg on your face !

Just my opinion folks and like our backsides, we all all have one.

Did you just compare Jeff Tuel with Joe Montana?

You. Need. Help.

Looking at Jeff Tuel and his college history, I just don't have faith this kid can ever be a winner. I see a lesser version of Fitz in Tuel, without the escape-ability or playing experience.

Ok wait, can i get an official TSW ruling here.....does college history matter or doesn't it? I mean if we are discussing a great college QB we don't like, his stats don't matter....but in this conversation....its the opposite.....

Can we have an official opinion?

Ok wait, can i get an official TSW ruling here.....does college history matter or doesn't it? I mean if we are discussing a great college QB we don't like, his stats don't matter....but in this conversation....its the opposite.....

Can we have an official opinion?

i think that its a situation where as long as you arent an extreme outlier, stats probably matters less.

his college record is a tough pill to swallow. i wont say its impossible, but are there any starters out there that have never even been .500 for a single college season? who is the last one? im honestly curious how rare it is (seems like it should be INCREDIBLY rare) and what makes tuel a likely exception to that trend

I slowed it down and watched it, it actually looks like it hit hogans hands first. I was amazed when I saw it, because on the surface it did not seem to have a chance. And you are nitpicking on the INT, it was a decent throw, and at least not one that was likely to become an INT

Am I nitpicking on his 3 ints and 1 td from last year?

At least Manuel has more tds than ints.

I said it before last year, and I still think it: Tuel could have a longer NFL career than EJ.

If betting was allowed, I'd bet everything I have on this. :)

If only Tuel could play against 2nd, 3rd, and practice squad teamers all the time.

Am I nitpicking on his 3 ints and 1 td from last year?

At least Manuel has more tds than ints.

You don't get it. Despite EJ having a better regular season and preseason qb ratings last year, Tuel is the better qb. Pay attention!