WR rotation in HOF game

Much has been brought up about why Woods was not on the field with the 1st team offense last night. No reason provided from he or the Bills, and EJ himself was surprised.

Here is a breakdown and some reasons why it may have happened:

Buffalo Rumblings@BuffRumblings 4m

We looked at the WR rotations from last night, specifically Robert Woods' roles, to see what was happening. http://www.buffaloru...ations …

Edited by YoloinOhio

There are few things worse than knee-jerk reactions from pre-season games, particularly the incredibly stupid ones that leap to insane conclusions like "Marrone should be fired if he blah-blah-woof-woof." I hate those with a passion.

That said...

Marrone should be fired in the middle of the game if he plays Chris Hogan instead of Robert Woods at any time in the regular season outside of injury.

I don't know why this is made into a big deal. To me, the rationale to keep Woods with 2nd teamers was to get a better look at Tuel. I don't know if you would get as fair of an evaluation if Tuel was throwing only to Hogan, Graham & Elliott.

I would like to see Hogan take some snaps from Sammy too. He works hard and has earned it throughout camp.

Yep. He should take some snaps away from CJ and Fred in the backfield, too. He showed amazing balance and elusiveness while playing lacrosse. And he did it all while carrying a 4' long stick, and playing against guys with sticks. If he can do that just carrying a football, and playing against guys without sticks, he could be much better than Spiller and Fred Ex.

I would like to see Hogan take some snaps from Sammy too. He works hard and has earned it throughout camp.

LOL.

I believe it is to see if Hogan can truly play in the slot against 1st team DBs, if/when needed. Woods is the clear #2 (at this point he is the most experienced WR when it comes to catching passes from EJ) and they wanted to give EJ more action throwing to the others. I think Woods will mostly play in the slot, but will be able to play outside as well. Hogan is a slot guy only and a better matchup for bigger DBs over the middle.

LOL.

I believe it is to see if Hogan can truly play in the slot against 1st team DBs, if/when needed. Woods is the clear #2 (at this point he is the most experienced WR when it comes to catching passes from EJ) and they wanted to give EJ more action throwing to the others. I think Woods will mostly play in the slot, but will be able to play outside as well. Hogan is a slot guy only and a better matchup for bigger DBs over the middle.

Hogan is not a better match up against any kind or size of DB than Woods at any position inside or outside.

Hogan is not a better match up against any kind or size of DB than Woods at any position inside or outside.

He is "bigger" - and Woods can play inside or outside. So if they want to play Woods outside, shifting Hogan into the slot in some packages, depending on matchups, could work if there is an injury to Sammy/MW. Hogan is not going to start if everyone is healthy - but if he needs to play they need to see if he can. He is a bigger guy, but slot only.

Ramses Barden knows! lol. Kirby's head explodes:

Retweeted 13 times

Ramses Barden@RamsesSHINES 19h

Chris Hogan is a few confidence plays away from being a top 10 slot player in this league.

In one preseason game you saw some interesting things. I refuse to read in to them but I really am surprised how many are. I see it simply as the coaches wanted to give everyone a fair shot at working their way up and this is why we saw limited action from so many - we know who's going to be where and when and in a game or two when Bryce Brown starts the game and plays the first half we will have some knuckleheads calling for CJ to be traded because Brown got 70 yards in preseason.

Letting Tuel have a legit WR to throw to? Maybe

Allowing Woods to move back and forth to the slot to evaluate him in those roles as the Buffalo Rumblings article hypothesizes? Maybe.

Hagen ahead of Woods on the depth chart? Doubtful.

With 4 preseason games to go, does any of it really matter right now? Nah.

I'd like to see 3WR sets as our base formation, with Woods, Sammy, & Mike Williams. Hopefully the traditional 2WR pro formation was just part of the vanilla pre-season gameplan.

There are few things worse than knee-jerk reactions from pre-season games, particularly the incredibly stupid ones that leap to insane conclusions like "Marrone should be fired if he blah-blah-woof-woof." I hate those with a passion.

That said...

Marrone should be fired in the middle of the game if he plays Chris Hogan instead of Robert Woods at any time in the regular season outside of injury.

:thumbsup:

Ramses Barden knows! lol. Kirby's head explodes:

Retweeted 13 times

Ramses Barden@RamsesSHINES 19h

Chris Hogan is a few confidence plays away from being a top 10 slot player in this league.

And I'm a couple confidence lays away from bagging Natalie Portman... :thumbsup:

Seriously though...In my over 40 years following the NFL I cannot remember a single player that got more run based on the way he practices, and not the way he actually plays in real games...And this is not to say that Hogan cannot turn into a quality NFL slot WR...To be honest I have no idea because he's barely played...But his legend is growing and he's basically done nothing in the NFL or College...During that time Robert Woods was one of the best College WR's vs big time competition, and he had a very promising Rookie season...

I know this much...It's just too cute, even in the first preseason game, to play him ahead of Woods...Woods is a competitor and if anyone thinks this kind of thing just rubs off a kid like Robert Woods...I kind of doubt it...He wants to be in there and he knows he deserves to be in there based on his ability and actual play on the field in the NFL on Sundays...I really could care less what the reasons are to start Hogan in the slot...It's dumb...At this point in time Woods is better than Hogan and it's case closed...But I've got used to the fact that these are just things Marrone and Hackett do for whatever reason...Now...If they want to say Hogan is pushing for time in the slot, or he's pushing Goodwin for the #4 WR position, I'm fine with that...But if he continues to take time away from Robert Woods he damn well better be the next coming of Wes Welker...And...btw...He's not... B-)