Ray Rice suspended two games? (Update: now cut/suspended)

Wow, let me slow it down for you.

This is a social media frenzy only. People feel they have to act only after being shown what they already knew to have happened. No one called for the cutting or banishment of Suggs after he terrorized his family. Without TMZ, this story is buried in the NFL police blotter weeks ago.

You didn't need to slow it down, just make a clearer point. But you're suffering from short term memory loss if you think there wasn't outrage on social media when the ruling came down. Either that or you're on an anti-social media rant and want to stand on a soap box.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The league doesn't have any morality issues.

The one thing abundantly clear by their actions today is that they couldn't care less about domestic violence by the players. They only care about how the league's perceived. That's why they're reacting to a salacious video of an event that differs in no marked way from the already-known description of that event. Rice hasn't been cut because he committed aggravated assault. He's been cut because a video of him committing aggravated assault embarrassed the league.

So the league doesn't have any morality issues. It has no moral stance, period. It's only concerned with image. It would have to have morals to have issues.

Absolutely. The NFL cares about money only. This is a league that profits on ravaging its workforce and yet is the only professional league without guaranteed contracts. Money is the bottom line for the NFL, always has been and always will be. The handling of this has been a disaster for Roger, he has only himself to blame and he probably will pay a steep price for it.

The league doesn't have any morality issues.

The one thing abundantly clear by their actions today is that they couldn't care less about domestic violence by the players. They only care about how the league's perceived. That's why they're reacting to a salacious video of an event that differs in no marked way from the already-known description of that event. Rice hasn't been cut because he committed aggravated assault. He's been cut because a video of him committing aggravated assault embarrassed the league.

So the league doesn't have any morality issues. It has no moral stance, period. It's only concerned with image. It would have to have morals to have issues.

Exactly--and the "embarrassment" comes from the barking of the media and the public, who are also reacting only to a salacious video of a player knocking out his woman--not because they always get this amped up over domestic violence in the NFL.

Exactly--and the "embarrassment" comes from the barking of the media and the public, who are also reacting only to a salacious video of a player knocking out his woman--not because they always get this amped up over domestic violence in the NFL.

Incorrect. Social media has been all over the NFL since this ruling came down. You're on a soapbox and want to go off on an anti-PC rant and that's cool, but at least get your facts correct beforehand. Just some advice.

You didn't need to slow it down, just make a clearer point. But you're suffering from short term memory loss if you think there wasn't outrage on social media when the ruling came down. Either that or you're on an anti-social media rant and want to stand on a soap box.

That was the same phemonenon--and I said so back then. This is just more "moral outrage".

Where was this reaction when other players who committed the same crime (or worse)?

Incorrect. Social media has been all over the NFL since this ruling came down. You're on a soapbox and want to go off on an anti-PC rant and that's cool, but at least get your facts correct beforehand. Just some advice.

It's not "anti-PC" at all. It's calling out phonies.

It really makes little sense that all parties (the NFL, Rice's lawyer, law inforcement, the Ravens) would have seen one tape but not both.

The sad irony is that no one here, or anywhere, for that matter, would have thought twice if all we knew about Rice hitting his wife is that he knocked her out and hotel security responded and called the cops and charges were not pressed.

No one would be calling for him to be cut/suspended indefinitely. His suspension was exactly what nearly every spousal/SO abuser before him got in the NFL--avg of 1.6 game suspension for 15 players.

The video is the ONLY difference in Rice's case. We able to ignore the violence every other guy perpetrated (see Suggs) because we didn't SEE it-like it never happened.

All of this outcry is chest beating and harrumphing. Everyone feels better about this now that Rice is history. The next guy won't be cuaght on camera delivering the beating and we will go back to saying "oh well, that's just what these guys are like...."

Ridiculous.

Not sure I know of another domestic violence case where there was video of the incident. So yes, video does matter. Otherwise it's a "he said, she said" situation. And while it may make little sense for all parties to not have seen either tape, that's what they're now claiming. So it all depends on which embarrassment you want to believe: that they didn't see the videotape previously, when they should have, and lying about it now, or seeing it and just handing down that punishment from both the NFL and team's aspect, and then alter cutting him when the video came to light.

That was the same phemonenon--and I said so back then. This is just more "moral outrage".

Where was this reaction when other players who committed the same crime (or worse)?

The world has changed quite a bit in the last five years. It's a brand new world, you either can yell about it and get passed by or figure out the new rules. Social media is pretty new, it wasn't around in the same way when other domestic abuses have been swept under the rug by the league. It's moral outrage, yes, but are you saying it's not justified? Do you not think the league has been far too lenient about it's domestic abuse policies for years?

Is that really the team you want to back?

People were outraged over the initial punishment handed down by Goodbye hence him needing to revise the domestic violence penalties.

:lol: :lol:

Exactly... there was so much outrage that Roger had to write a letter (and make it public) that he had gotten it wrong and the policy itself needed to be changed. The outrage didn't start with this video, the video was just the last nail for Ray's career in a Raven's uniform.

It's not "anti-PC" at all. It's calling out phonies.

You didn't know what happened at all. Now you do. If you said you knew what happened that is just total arrogant bullschit. I thought he knocked her out, too, but I didn't know it. I COULD have been that she tried to stab him or pulled a gun on him. It likely wasn't, but again, you just didn't know. And now you do.

The world has changed quite a bit in the last five years. It's a brand new world, you either can yell about it and get passed by or figure out the new rules. Social media is pretty new, it wasn't around in the same way when other domestic abuses have been swept under the rug by the league. It's moral outrage, yes, but are you saying it's not justified? Do you not think the league has been far too lenient about it's domestic abuse policies for years?

Is that really the team you want to back?

You've stumbled onto my point. Domestic violence is always wrong. It should be the same "wrong" whether you personally witness it or not. Having "seen" it now has allowed those who said nothing in the past (or simply acceoted it as inevitable behavior by athletes?) now are at full thoat as though they have just discovered this type of crime ("Oh my God--he DID knock her out!")--only now is the public calling for an abuser's head.

Every one feels better having spoken up now, I guess.

You didn't know what happened at all. Now you do. If you said you knew what happened that is just total arrogant bullschit. I thought he knocked her out, too, but I didn't know it. I COULD have been that she tried to stab him or pulled a gun on him. It likely wasn't, but again, you just didn't know. And now you do.

Good point.

:lol: :lol:

Exactly... there was so much outrage that Roger had to write a letter (and make it public) that he had gotten it wrong and the policy itself needed to be changed. The outrage didn't start with this video, the video was just the last nail for Ray's career in a Raven's uniform.

It began with the first video.

I'm arrogant because I didn't assume that may have pulled a gun or knife on him in the elevator?

You need to go back to writing love posts to Jordan Palmer, man.

Edited by Mr. WEO

The outrage didn’t go away; I don’t think many were too impressed that the NFL decided to toughen its domestic violence stance after said outrage. But this video has now drawn quite a focused lens on the topic. Plus, there are a few other fresh cases (Greg Hardy, Ray McDonald) that are warming up on the sidelines.

The first video gave us an idea of what likely went down, but maybe it was not THAT bad, or so the NFL hoped we’d think. It really is a powerful video, to take nothing away from Rice’s left hand.

And quite similar to the leaked Donald Sterling tape, in that it just can’t be unseen/unheard. And it’s really not too far off from the sordid Penn State/Sandusky scandal. So ultimately, the cash cow has to protect it’s herd, and finally turns on the calf in question.

I just can’t fathom the reason why NFL brass felt the need to protect and/or sweep Rice’s actions under the rug in this incident, other than the obvious PR implications.

You've stumbled onto my point. Domestic violence is always wrong. It should be the same "wrong" whether you personally witness it or not. Having "seen" it now has allowed those who said nothing in the past (or simply acceoted it as inevitable behavior by athletes?) now are at full thoat as though they have just discovered this type of crime ("Oh my God--he DID knock her out!")--only now is the public calling for an abuser's head.

Every one feels better having spoken up now, I guess.

Great story, it'd be almost true if the public hasn't been calling for his head from the beginning of this whole thing. Look, I get you don't like the new age, you're probably afraid the walls are closing in on you right now and that Twitter is out to get you. But that's not what this issue is about. This issue is about the fact the NFL's policy on domestic abuse has been a joke for far too long. If it took this to get the rules changed, what's the issue?

Oh, that's right, your issue is you want to yell at ghosts. Go right ahead, bro. The Bills won this week, everything is groovy.

This will be unpopular, but Ray Rice needs some serious help right now. His life as he knew it is over. For ever. I hope there's a path out of this mess, but I would not be surprised if this story ends in tragedy.

He will be the one domestic abuser that did not make it back to the NFL (and cheered on by a forgetful/nonchalant fanbase).