Kevin Elliott - training camp sleeper

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm jaded given the inability of our annual "training camp sleeper" (which all seem to be WR's) never, ever panning out.

In the last 8 years or so:

1. Justin Jenkins

2. Felton Huggins

3. Marcus Easley

4. Chris Hogan

5. Da'Rick Rodgers

6. George Wilson (though he did eventually find it at safety)

7. Andre Davis

8. Kevin Elliot

9. Sam Aiken

10. Jonathan Smith (Fast Freddie)

11. Namaan Roosevelt

12. Derek Hagan

13. Ruvell Martin

XAVIER OMAN!

I agree. But I'm not sure what an available DE could do to alleviate his loss.

None that are available now (maybe Babin). But at the final cuts... usually there are some surprises. If it is a pass rushing DE I think he could catch up relatively quickly with missing camp as long as he was in another team's camp. Of course he won't be a stud or the team won't cut him but he could be better than what we have behind our starters or at least more depth. Strong rosters like SF and Seattle would be ones to watch at cut time. Or STL since their starting DL is stacked. Edited by YoloinOhio

Good for Kevin. Being away from home can make it difficult to sleep; I'm glad he is getting his rest.

I'm jaded given the inability of our annual "training camp sleeper" (which all seem to be WR's) never, ever panning out.

<snip>

How can you forget Kamil Loud and Kwame Cavil?

If they really like Hogan through camp, they will probably be picking between Easley and Elliot..

Unless they keep 7... I can't recall if teams keep 5-6 or 6-7

I think Hogan is going to have to show willingness and ability on ST in order to make it, though...

Do you mean Elliot? I think Hogan already is on ST.

You have to look at slot vs outside wr's also, if we keep 6 do you have 3 guys on the inside with woods doing both in a pinch or do you go with 2 inside including woods and 4 outside?

I also think we may see some TJ Graham returning KO/punts late in preseason games if the front office thinks they can get something for him in a trade. If he can catch the ball consistently in practice, of course.

...was a RB, but yes, your point is taken.

Can't mention him without also mentioning Dwayne Wright. Sadly, neither of them ever lived up to the standards set by standouts like Shaud Williams or Anthony Thomas.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but Anthony Thomas was a good RB for us.

Do you mean Elliot? I think Hogan already is on ST.

You have to look at slot vs outside wr's also, if we keep 6 do you have 3 guys on the inside with woods doing both in a pinch or do you go with 2 inside including woods and 4 outside?

I also think we may see some TJ Graham returning KO/punts late in preseason games if the front office thinks they can get something for him in a trade. If he can catch the ball consistently in practice, of course.

No- I mean Hogan has to show SOMETHING on ST... Yes he was on them, but he was invisible...

if only they could keep 7. Jax fans on twitter saying they feel Mularkey made him a scapegoat by cutting him the day after he dropped the 3 passes. They wish he was still there, lots of potential. I know Hogan is good in minicamp but how us he when there is actual contact? I just don't like his upside. But I understand why he keeps making the team.

I feel the same way, and have said so numerous times...I'd much rather keep Kevin Elliott over Chris Hogan.

Chris Hogan couldn't make the Miami Dolphins squad when they had Brian Hartline as a #1 WR and nothing else on the depth chart. He stays open like "7/11" because he is not a threat. I also recall him dropping a wide open pass in a game last year, or running the wrong route. There is nothing about him that screams "NFL WR" to me, but Elliott has all the tools and the size. I don't like keeping a WR only because of special teams, he needs to contribute elsewhere too.

I'd rather keep Graham, a draft pick, for another year to see if he can step up his game, than waste a roster spot on Chris Hogan because he has a cool nickname.

1. Justin Jenkins
  2. Felton Huggins
  3. Marcus Easley
  4. Chris Hogan
  5. Da'Rick Rodgers
  6. George Wilson (though he did eventually find it at safety)
  7. Andre Davis
  8. Kevin Elliot
  9. Sam Aiken
  10. Jonathan Smith (Fast Freddie)
  11. Namaan Roosevelt
  12. Derek Hagan
  13. Ruvell Martin

Half of them were never expected to be much of anything, especially Ruvell Martin! Lol.

But, don't forget Ramses Barden...who people thought eliminated the need to draft a Mike Evans or Eric Ebron in the 1st round this year.

He probably won't even make it to the final cuts.

(Da'Rick Rogers is the ONLY one out of all of them that I EVER had ANY hope for...and he is better than all of them already.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

I feel the same way, and have said so numerous times...I'd much rather keep Kevin Elliott over Chris Hogan.

Chris Hogan couldn't make the Miami Dolphins squad when they had Brian Hartline as a #1 WR and nothing else on the depth chart. He stays open like "7/11" because he is not a threat. I also recall him dropping a wide open pass in a game last year, or running the wrong route. There is nothing about him that screams "NFL WR" to me, but Elliott has all the tools and the size. I don't like keeping a WR only because of special teams, he needs to contribute elsewhere too.

I'd rather keep Graham, a draft pick, for another year to see if he can step up his game, than waste a roster spot on Chris Hogan because he has a cool nickname.

Half of them were never expected to be much of anything, especially Ruvell Martin! Lol.

But, don't forget Ramses Barden...who people thought eliminated the need to draft a Mike Evans or Eric Ebron in the 1st round this year.

He probably won't even make it to the final cuts.

(Da'Rick Rogers is the ONLY one out of all of them that I EVER had ANY hope for...and he is better than all of them already.)

I just think that a WR that far down on the depth chart HAS to contribute on ST....

He also must provide a competent presence in the passing game...

TJ will have to prove himself before the season begins to stay on. The Hogan Elliot situation is a good one to watch. Surprised a little about some folks taking a stand on either of them.

I think Easly has competition.

Hogan might be better than some think . But as far as special teams goes last year

http://espn.go.com/n...402/chris-hogan

Didn't he make some ST tackles ?

I thought he has been mentioned by the coaches more than once. but not 3 times , that he is a potential core ST guy?

If he bulked up and or worked on his speed etc. Isn't possible he might be better than he looked to you guys last year.

I didnt look at his drop rate though in his limited WR role .

Like i said good battle to watch. And i have think six and a PS guy or two to stash

Edited by 3rdand12

TJ will have to prove himself before the season begins to stay on. The Hogan Elliot situation is a good one to watch. Surprised a little about some folks taking a stand on either of them.

Hogan might be better than some think . But as far as special teams goes last year

I thought he has been mentioned by the coaches more than once. but not 3 times , that he is a potential core ST guy?

If he bulked up and or worked on his speed etc. Isn't possible he might be better than he looked to you guys last year.

Like i said good battle to watch. And i have think six and a PS guy or two to stash

If there is a battle, it is between Hogan, Easley, Graham and Elliott. I don't think Easley has anything to worry about. As I posted earlier, Easley led the league in special teams tackles last season. Very tough to replace that level of contribution on ST.

JMO

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Agree... It's certainly a race and as Hogan has areas to improve as a STer, Easley has areas to improve as a WR... Admittedly, I don't know a great deal about Elliot, and unless some brilliant light goes off for Graham, I think he's gone...

If there is a battle, it is between Hogan, Easley, Graham and Elliott. I don't think Easley has anything to worry about. As I posted earlier, Easley led the league in special teams tackles last season. Very tough to replace that level of contribution on ST.

JMO

Yep, Easley has proven himself on ST. After him, take your pick. I don't see how Graham can make it.

JMO

Fair enough conclusion. i might think that was Danny C,s doing though .

:bag: