Tues. Buff News - Bills Ready To Go With Losman

Mark VI

I'm still worried about Losman because with what I saw of him in the preseason and limited regular season play, he looks to want to run first and throw second, and that won't win a lot of games.  I just hope that he can be coached out of doing that.

CW

217806[/snapback]

Really far too little action to tell. I believe I remember a scramble out of the pocket while still looking downfield, and tossing a pass - IIRC it was dropped, but on target. The mistakes I would expect are throwing to the wrong place (Ben R. in the AFCC game), not happy feet.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If true, it is nice to see. JP and the Bills need to take the plunge at some point, and next season is as good a time as any. JP is going to make mistakes. He is going to look like a rookie qb (since he is). It will be painful at times, but he needs to get time in game situations, where he actually controls the outcome (garbage time does not count).

The Bills need to concentrate on O-line this offseason to make sure that JP is protected. Having Willis help with blitz blocking will be a benefit, since he is better than Travis at this.

I like this, if true.

....and when JP struggles mightily next year we'll see how many people call it a mistake.  :(  Bottom line is that no fan truly wants to go through a "growing period" and always wants the team to win. It will be a frusterating season again. I just hope JP can put us over the hump.

217769[/snapback]

I guess I would say if JP struggles mightily next year, not when. He will struggle, I just hope it is a little more mild than mightily.

There will be people who call it a mistake from day one, struggle or not. Those same people will relish in piling on whenever JP makes a mistake. That is gonna happen, we know how we are.

IMO though it's got to happen (the QB switch) so let's see what we have in Losman. Force feed him the offense all winter and then see what he can do. Hopefully we'll end up loving JP just like we have another 1st rounder (RB) who began to play in year 2. There was much discussion about that change as well.

I'm still worried about Losman because with what I saw of him in the preseason and limited regular season play, he looks to want to run first and throw second, and that won't win a lot of games.  I just hope that he can be coached out of doing that.

CW

217806[/snapback]

i think you have to remember that was coached IN to him........

if i recall correctly, mularky and wyche talked in the pre-season about JP just "tucking and running" whenever in doubt.......i don't know if this was a confidence thing, trying to ensure he stayed healthy, something else, but i'm sure it wasn't a permanant fix......i think it was just there way of getting him rolling and that, once he becomes more comfortable in the offense, the "run first and throw second" tendancy will become less and less evident........that's my take on it at least........

if i recall correctly, mularky and wyche talked in the pre-season about JP just "tucking and running" whenever in doubt.......

Are you talking about the Bills/Broncos preseason game where Mularky called a QB draw on the first play? From listening to Mularky on that call, it sounded like he just wanted Losman to get his first NFL hit out of the way. I don't remember ever reading/hearing that he was being coached to run first (aside from the one playcall, which isn't really coaching).

I watched the "Sounds of the Game" yesterday, and that's what I saw.

CW

Are you talking about the Bills/Broncos preseason game where Mularky called a QB draw on the first play?  From listening to Mularky on that  call, it sounded like he just wanted Losman to get his first NFL hit out of the way.  I don't remember ever reading/hearing that he was being coached to run first (aside from the one playcall, which isn't really coaching).

I watched the "Sounds of the Game" yesterday, and that's what I saw.

CW

217834[/snapback]

i'm talking about training camp, practices, pre-season, everything........when in doubt, tuck the ball and run.......avoid mistakes.......

like i said, maybe i'm wrong, but i think i recall reading articles in the summer with mularky and wyche talking about this.........

Drew is going to restructure and help JP along. We need Drew so the same thing doesnt happen to the Bills in the playoffs that happened to Pittsburg. We will go to the backup when the starter (JP) cant get it done. Drews here for the long haul, and hes going to help the Bills too, just like he did with the Pats against the Steelers in the AFC Chanmpionship 3 years ago.

217781[/snapback]

I think this is the best situation we can hope for. If Drew doesn't want to restructure and gets cut (which I don't see happening), then the Bills are worse off. Even if Losman starts the season, he needs a veteran backup. At this point, Drew is going to have to be just that. It's best to do this instead of grabbing a Frerotte, Warner, or some other backup. At least Drew knows the offense.

I think Drew will take a pay cut to remain with the team. I think there are enough teams out there right now that know Drew's capabilities so that they're not willing to take a chance on him. Dallas might be willing to take a chance, if Vinny doesn't come back.

i'm talking about training camp, practices, pre-season, everything........when in doubt, tuck the ball and run.......avoid mistakes.......

like i said, maybe i'm wrong, but i think i recall reading articles in the summer with mularky and wyche talking about this.........

217837[/snapback]

Although in his draft bio, one of the negatives was his "run first" mentality.

Hopefully, that can be coached out of him. For the most important reason, he's going to get injured if he runs a lot. I think it is a good idea to see what Losman can do. It sucks because I did want to make the playoffs next year and that is unlikely with a rookie QB (esp. one as raw as J.P.) but in the longterm, it is probably the right decision.

I guess I would say if JP struggles mightily next year, not when.  He will struggle, I just hope it is a little more mild than mightily.

There will be people who call it a mistake from day one, struggle or not.  Those same people will relish in piling on whenever JP makes a mistake.  That is gonna happen, we know how we are.

IMO though it's got to happen (the QB switch) so let's see what we have in Losman.  Force feed him the offense all winter and then see what he can do.  Hopefully we'll end up loving JP just like we have another 1st rounder (RB) who began to play in year 2.  There was much discussion about that change as well.

217816[/snapback]

While I agree they need to make sure someone can fill Jennings shoes (assuming he leaves), I have a hard time not pointing out that the O-line did a nice job protecting Drew as the season wore on. I had hoped with protection, DB would return to form. He did not, and with the exception of the Miami game, he did nothing that a rookie couldn't do.

The Bills brought in some of the best QB coaches in the league, and Drew did not respond well enough to the coaching. He had his chance, and now it's time to turn the page. If he comes back as a backup, great. Being the class act that he is, I am sure he will still be an asset to the team. Otherwise, like many Patsies fans, I will wish him well, and be glad he is no long the QB of my team.

It's always a risk handing the QB job to a rookie (a red shirt one, anyway), but in the Bills case, the table's set for JP to have some success. The running game is stout, he can make plays with his feet if he has too, and most importantly, he has a defense that can put him in good position to win without the QB having to carry the team.

If the Bills can land a quality LG and LT (assuming Jonas leaves) and another TE via the draft or free agency, JP could run a fairly vanilla game plan and use his athleticism to upgrade our QB play from a year ago.

Another factor is the quality of the coaching staff, which should be able to work around his limitations as a first-year starter.

TD's "four-year plan" appears to be on schedule and it looks like Drew's time in Buffalo may soo be over.

Personally, I'd like to see Drew end his career in Dallas where he could even replace Testaverde as the starter (that's saying a lot about the current state of the Cowboys, LOL!).

TD's "four-year plan" appears to be on schedule and it looks like Drew's time in Buffalo may soo be over. 

217847[/snapback]

i think we're behind schedule, unless you think his "four-year plan" involved missing the playoffs every one of those years.........

I'm sure JP will have his bad plays/games but I think the Bills will be better (definitely in the long run and probably even in the short). This is because it was crystal clear that any defensive game plan that took DB's weaknesses into account amounted to a Bills loss.

it was crystal clear that any defensive game plan that took DB's weaknesses into account amounted to a Bills loss.

217855[/snapback]

So you're saying that only 6 teams actually took DB's weaknesses into account? :) We did win 9 games, and only lost to 6 teams...

CW

It's time for a new era. How can anyone not get excited about a trio of Losman-McGahee-Evans? They will be drawing comparisons to the Colts trio of Manning-Harrison-James. Only differences are that the Bills can play in rough weather and also have a defense. Trading Bledsoe & Henry will bring a couple of draft picks and free up more cap space. Somehow TD will get back in the first round and grab an OL. I do not care who the backup QB is as long as it is not Bledsoe. If the backup has to play, put in two TE's and a FB and hand the ball to Willis 50 times. The Pittsburgh game cost Bledsoe his job in Buffalo.

Bills beat reporter Mark Gaughan -

" The Buffalo Bills are strongly considering going with J.P. Losman as their starting QB next season, and Drew Bledsoe could wind up out of town as a result . The Bills braintrust thinks it has to go with Losman next year if at all possible, an NFL source told the news. "

Goes on to explain other possible scenerios, such as DB returning as a backup, which he may not want and sees as unlikely. Mentioned DB's agent David Dunn is checking out other possibilities around the NFL. Places where DB would have a chance to start. If he locates one, DB will be traded. Dallas and Parcells are mentioned as a possibility.

Jerry Sullivan also has a column devoted to Losman today, so it's a hot topic of discussion here in Buffalo. (Ignore it if it bothers you) You already know his position on DB . He doesn't see him returning as a backup and believes he is finished here.

Sullivan - " TD has distanced himself from DB since the season ended. Sure, The Bills may take a step back with Losman as the Starter. In the end, The Steelers found out how tough it can be for an untested QB. There's an inevitable growing  process for any young QB. But at least Ben Roethlisberger is one year into his development. Evidently, the Bills believe it's time to get started with Losman, to start him on a concerted path to a starting job.

If they take a step back, it will be a small one. The fact is , they're several giant steps behind the Patriots and Steelers. They're not going to make up that ground with Bledsoe. It sounds like the Bills know it and are ready to move forward in earnest, without Drew. "

Not looking good for DB. Looking real good for J.P. - seems the Bills are ready to turn the page, like it or not.

Fire away.

217754[/snapback]

About time the local media got on board. :)

GOD BLESS MORT!!!

I think this is the best situation we can hope for. If Drew doesn't want to restructure and gets cut (which I don't see happening), then the Bills are worse off. Even if Losman starts the season, he needs a veteran backup. At this point, Drew is going to have to be just that. It's best to do this instead of grabbing a Frerotte, Warner, or some other backup. At least Drew knows the offense.

I think Drew will take a pay cut to remain with the team. I think there are enough teams out there right now that know Drew's capabilities so that they're not willing to take a chance on him. Dallas might be willing to take a chance, if Vinny doesn't come back.

217840[/snapback]

I for one, do not want to see Drew as a backup. I think if they make the move to JP, which I agree with, he will make many rookie mistakes. Lets just say the Bills start the year 0-3 or 0-4 again with JP as the QB. If Drews on the bench, do you not think the pressure will be immense to put Drew back in.Can we really survive that type of QB controversy again. IMHO only, Drew being here will stunt JPs growth.

Drew either enters the year as starter, or needs to be cut. That simple in my mind.

i think we're behind schedule, unless you think his "four-year plan" involved missing the playoffs every one of those years.........

217853[/snapback]

No, it did not involve missing the playoffs. Drew was brought in to "bridge" the gap until a young "franchise" QB could be found to guide the team for the next decade. That's what's happening now.

GW's ineptitude and Drew's rapid decline put the kabosh on keeping the team at a competitive level. Still, I believe the team is actually positioned about where TD wanted it when he laid out his agenda four years ago.