Tues. Buff News - Bills Ready To Go With Losman

Mark VI

CDWD is around.  I saw a post by them the other day.  The best Cutting Drew With Dignity post ever was "what are you missing a chromosome or do you constantly crace attention?" from the infamous DYOH thread :)

217919[/snapback]

That was a great one! :)

My favorite is still The Passion Of The Drew. :blink:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Geesh...TD said from day one that he was going to try and keep the team competitive and rebuild on the fly.  Year 1 he purged the roster to fix the cap mess.  Year 2 he brought in DB who had a great start, kept the team competitive, but ultimately hit a wall.  TD also started to build the D into the unit it is today.  Year 3 we got our franchise RB and kept building the D.  Year 4, the franchise WR and QB.  And a competent coaching staff (I'll slam TD with the best of you over GW).

TD's plan, I believe, was to have the pieces in place for a QB switch when the team had a good foundation in place, rather than throwing a young QB to the wolves before the supporting cast was ready (along the lines of what Pittsburgh did with Big Ben, and Cincy is doing with Palmer, and yes sports fans, the Pats did with TB).

Again, the execution of the plan was undermined by GW's ineptitude and Drew's collapse.  But look where the team is positioned now, and tell me you're not excited about the future:

1.)  Triplets QB-RB-WR

2.)  #2 defense (statistically, I know...there' still room for improvement)

3.)  One of the youngest teams in the league, who could potentially play together for a number of years.

217933[/snapback]

You're right that the team has potential. But at the same time, you're being far too kind to TD. If they miss the playoffs next year, it's 5 straight. How can anyone miss the playoffs 5 straight year given today's parity in the NFL?

You're right that the team has potential.  But at the same time, you're being far too kind to TD.  If they miss the playoffs next year, it's 5 straight.  How can anyone miss the playoffs 5 straight year given today's parity in the NFL?

217943[/snapback]

I don't think I'm being kind to TD. Like any GM, he's ultimately accountable to the bottom line...as you say, wins and losses.

My point is, a GM has to lay out the player personnel strategy and then hand the execution over to the coaches...GW was an unmitigated disaster, for which TD does not escape blame. If the current coaching staff was here for that whole run, there's no way we go 0-for-5.

I'm not cheerleading for TD. But I am excited. JP is now being handed the reigns when the team's "set up" to have him take over. It's a great way to do it, and increases the chances we get the next Tom Brady, rather than the next Jake Plummer.

What a joke.

The teams' first winning season in how many years?

Any one of 3 plays in 3 games gets us in this year

Either no Chad Morton kickoff return or either of 2 Henry fumbles gets us in in 2002.

11 franchise passing records

A 9-3 finish.

Ranked 6th in the NFL (32 teams) by Jeff Sagarin, USA Today

And everyone wants to blow up the QB position so we can rebuild the QB position from scratch?

Brilliant!

What a joke.

The teams' first winning season in how many years?

Any one of 3 plays in 3 games gets us in this year

Either no Chad Morton kickoff return or either of 2 Henry fumbles gets us in in 2002.

11 franchise passing records

A 9-3 finish.

Ranked 6th in the NFL (32 teams) by Jeff Sagarin, USA Today

And everyone wants to blow up the QB position so we can rebuild the QB position from scratch? 

Brilliant!

217981[/snapback]

I admire your commitment to DB, even when everyone else is finally ready to move on. :):)

I admire your commitment to DB, even when everyone else is finally ready to move on.    :)  :)

217983[/snapback]

"Everybody" will be ready to lynch JPL the minute he falters as well. I guarantee that if he throws 4 INTs in his first game, everyone will be saying, "We should've kept Bledsoe! I've said that all along!" or "I told you we should've signed [insert veteran QB here]! Why did we start JPL, the guy sucks!!!!"

Guaranteed. It happened with TC, it happened with AVP, it happened with RJ, it happened with DF, it happened with DB, and it will happen with JPL.

CW

"Everybody"  will be ready to lynch JPL the minute he falters as well.  I guarantee that if he throws 4 INTs in his first game, everyone will be saying, "We should've kept Bledsoe!  I've said that all along!" or "I told you we should've signed [insert veteran QB here]!  Why did we start JPL, the guy sucks!!!!"

Guaranteed.  It happened with TC, it happened with AVP, it happened with RJ, it happened with DF, it happened with DB, and it will happen with JPL.

CW

217984[/snapback]

I agree that a few here will say that....but as for me, Im willing to be patient and see what he can do.

Oneida Lake is soooo right! It is however time to open the competition for QB, it is time to create fair dollar value for Drew and the Bills, but so many of us write like this team went 7-9 with not a glimer of a playoff hope this past season.

"Everybody"  will be ready to lynch JPL the minute he falters as well.  I guarantee that if he throws 4 INTs in his first game, everyone will be saying, "We should've kept Bledsoe!  I've said that all along!" or "I told you we should've signed [insert veteran QB here]!  Why did we start JPL, the guy sucks!!!!"

Guaranteed.

CW

217984[/snapback]

I won't speak for anyone but myself, but JPL will have growing pains. You will not hear any criticism from me, as long as he shows improvement over the course of a couple of years. I don't expect him to come out of the gate as the next great QB in the NFL.

Guaranteed.  It happened with TC, it happened with AVP, it happened with RJ, it happened with DF, it happened with DB, and it will happen with JPL.

CW

217984[/snapback]

Someone has to tell me what, in either preseason or his 4 regular season low pressure appearances, gives even the slightest suggestion that this kid is anywhere near ready to start.

CW

217984[/snapback]

Sorry Fez..I didn't mean to exclude you when I said that everyone else has moved on. :):)

I won't speak for anyone but myself, but JPL will have growing pains.  You will not hear any criticism from me, as long as he shows improvement over the course of a couple of years.  I don't expect him to come out of the gate as the next great QB in the NFL.

217988[/snapback]

A couple of years? So if JPL starts and we suck (4-12, 5-11), you won't complain at all and will just say "He'll do better next season!"

CW

Sorry Fez..I didn't mean to exclude you when I said that everyone else has moved on. :)  :)

217991[/snapback]

I'm all for an open competition in camp; that said, cutting DB now is *not* the right move for a team that missed the playoffs by 1 game in *two* out of the last 3 seasons..

CW

Someone has to tell me what, in either preseason or his 4 regular season low pressure appearances, gives even the slightest suggestion that this kid is anywhere near ready to start.

217990[/snapback]

Boy, I guess the first 8 games in 2002 STILL stick in people's minds!!!! :)

Am I missing something here with Drew's play the last 2+ years, especially against teams with AT LEAST a solid defense?

Someone enlighten me, please!!!

Just give me something about DREW's play, not the teams so much, to make a case for him to contonue to start and be satisified with 8-9 win seasons..

217990[/snapback]

He's not ready to start TODAY, but then again there is no game for the next 8 months. A BIG assumption is being made by many(including me)that during the off season mini-camps and training camp, that JP will have made the necessary strides in order to be an NFL starting QB.

PS His passer rating based on 4 passes he threw this year in mop up time, that you love to quote, doesn't mean diddly.

Boy, I guess the first 8 games in 2002 STILL stick in people's minds!!!!   :)

Am I missing something here with Drew's play the last 2+ years, especially against teams with AT LEAST a solid defense? 

Someone enlighten me, please!!!

Just give me something about DREW's play, not the teams so much, to make a case for him to contonue to start and be satisified with 8-9 win seasons..

217996[/snapback]

A little OT, but you might want to update your sig. Hull did not make the cut this year. :)