Tues. Buff News - Bills Ready To Go With Losman

Mark VI

Bills beat reporter Mark Gaughan -

" The Buffalo Bills are strongly considering going with J.P. Losman as their starting QB next season, and Drew Bledsoe could wind up out of town as a result . The Bills braintrust thinks it has to go with Losman next year if at all possible, an NFL source told the news. "

Goes on to explain other possible scenerios, such as DB returning as a backup, which he may not want and sees as unlikely. Mentioned DB's agent David Dunn is checking out other possibilities around the NFL. Places where DB would have a chance to start. If he locates one, DB will be traded. Dallas and Parcells are mentioned as a possibility.

Jerry Sullivan also has a column devoted to Losman today, so it's a hot topic of discussion here in Buffalo. (Ignore it if it bothers you) You already know his position on DB . He doesn't see him returning as a backup and believes he is finished here.

Sullivan - " TD has distanced himself from DB since the season ended. Sure, The Bills may take a step back with Losman as the Starter. In the end, The Steelers found out how tough it can be for an untested QB. There's an inevitable growing process for any young QB. But at least Ben Roethlisberger is one year into his development. Evidently, the Bills believe it's time to get started with Losman, to start him on a concerted path to a starting job.

If they take a step back, it will be a small one. The fact is , they're several giant steps behind the Patriots and Steelers. They're not going to make up that ground with Bledsoe. It sounds like the Bills know it and are ready to move forward in earnest, without Drew. "

Not looking good for DB. Looking real good for J.P. - seems the Bills are ready to turn the page, like it or not.

Fire away.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is good news, but I have mixed feelings on it. On one hand it would be nice to get rid of the Bill Belichick is in bledsoes head stuff, and improve the speed of our offense, as I believe the offense Mike Mularkey wants to run, you need a qb with some mobility who can escape the pocket and throw on the run. I also believe losman has all the potential in the world, but as much as some people hate DB, this is a step back, and quite honest I'll be shocked if we get to 9-7 with losman starting, but we obviousily drafted him for a reason, so we might as well see what he has.

Now I'm also not one of those people who want to dump Bledsoe but if we are ready to go with Losman and Drew doesn't want to play backup, I'd talk to Shane Matthews about returning, or bring in a gus frerotte. While a little strange (the head butting incident) He's an ok qb , and could fill in if need be. If by some chance some team is interested in Drew to start. I wouldn't just cut Bledsoe either, gauge their interest and trade him. I still think drew has enough talent to be worth a 4th or 5th. Anyway it's good to see the Bills are acknowldging that it's time they start looking towards the future, and are willing to cut rope.

This is good news, but I have mixed feelings on it.  On one hand it would be nice to get rid of the Bill Belichick is in bledsoes head stuff

217758[/snapback]

this can't be overstated, in my opinion. new england and belichick have enough of a mystique as it is...

....and when JP struggles mightily next year we'll see how many people call it a mistake. :( Bottom line is that no fan truly wants to go through a "growing period" and always wants the team to win. It will be a frusterating season again. I just hope JP can put us over the hump.

This is good news, but I have mixed feelings on it.  On one hand it would be nice to get rid of the Bill Belichick is in bledsoes head stuff, and improve the speed of our offense, as I believe the offense Mike Mularkey wants to run, you need a qb with some mobility who can escape the pocket and throw on the run. I also believe losman has all the potential in the world, but as much as some people hate DB, this is a step back, and quite honest I'll be shocked if we get to 9-7 with losman starting, but we obviousily drafted him for a reason, so we might as well see what he has.

Now  I'm also not one of those people who want to dump Bledsoe but if we are ready to go with Losman and Drew doesn't want to play backup, I'd talk to Shane Matthews about returning, or bring in a gus frerotte. While  a little strange (the head butting incident)  He's an ok qb , and could fill in if need be. If by some chance some team is interested in Drew to start.  I wouldn't just cut Bledsoe either, gauge their interest and trade him.  I still think drew has enough talent to be worth a 4th or 5th.  Anyway it's good to see the Bills are acknowldging that it's time they start looking towards the future, and are willing to cut rope.

217758[/snapback]

Good thoughts. The 9-7 record was good but the Bills were very lucky to catch 6 teams in a row playing absolutely horrid football. A scheduling fluke like that falls into your lap once every 20 years. Drew wasn't going to win us 9-10 games next year. The first good team we had to play (The Steelers) beat us with many 2nd,3rd stringers and Bledsoe looked horrible. So we may need more help than we think, not just at QB. It's not all his fault but trying to blame others doesn't work anymore. He'll only get worse and never improve.

QB is just the 1st change in overall improvement, but a much needed one.

The Buff news articles and the Leo Roth article in the D&C, referencing TD and Ralph Wilson Respectivley, would certaqinly indicate that it comes down to two things:

Drews willingness to again restructure his contract and, his understanding that he may once again become a backup QB.

We will see very soon what DB's thinking is, regarding his future in Buffalo, as the Bills braintrust seems primed to put the Buffalo QB stiuation in his lap.

The Buff news articles and the Leo Roth article in the D&C, referencing TD and Ralph Wilson Respectivley, would certaqinly indicate that it comes down to two things:

Drews willingness to again restructure his contract and, his understanding that he may once again become a backup QB.

We will see very soon what DB's thinking is, regarding his future in Buffalo, as the Bills braintrust seems primed to put the Buffalo QB stiuation in his lap.

217778[/snapback]

Drew is going to restructure and help JP along. We need Drew so the same thing doesnt happen to the Bills in the playoffs that happened to Pittsburg. We will go to the backup when the starter (JP) cant get it done. Drews here for the long haul, and hes going to help the Bills too, just like he did with the Pats against the Steelers in the AFC Chanmpionship 3 years ago.

SlamnSam, I hope you're right. I think the difference in NE was that Drew was the starting QB, got injured (nearly died), and when he came back not only was he physically behind but Bellicheck completly dismissed him. In Buffalo I think (hope) Drew would welcome the opportunity to bring along a young furture star, to be part of the change, as opposed to being pushed to the doormat ala NE.

The ball (so to speak) will be in his court.

That's not hard. DB's in Montana.  :(

217774[/snapback]

I believe Drew only goes to Montana for his summer holiday.

He is probably in his Portland home for the off-season.

Nothing like having your team leader making a full time commitment to his team's city.

SlamnSam, I hope you're right.  I think the difference in NE was that Drew was the starting QB, got injured (nearly died), and when he came back not only was he physically behind but Bellicheck completly dismissed him.  In Buffalo I think (hope) Drew would welcome the opportunity to bring along a young furture star, to be part of the change, as opposed to being pushed to the doormat ala NE.

The ball (so to speak) will be in his court.

217786[/snapback]

Drew will only take a "paycut" if his salary goes up by $2.75 mil, like last year.

With Drew, it's always been about the money and his ego.

Highly doubtful Drew

. I also believe losman has all the potential in the world, but as much as some people hate DB, this is a step back, and quite honest I'll be shocked if we get to 9-7 with losman starting, but we obviousily drafted him for a reason, so we might as well see what he has.

217758[/snapback]

Even with rookie mistakes, how is starting Losman taking a step back?

The offense has already been scaled back to rookie level to protect our hall of Fame QB from taking sacks and turning the ball over.

The braintrust was so scared of Drew, they didn't even try to have him throw more than 10 yards downfield except out of gadget plays.

With the enforcement of rules to open up the offenses, all but 2 teams in the league had their QB put up at least 1 300 yard game. But not Drew.

....and when JP struggles mightily next year we'll see how many people call it a mistake.  :(  Bottom line is that no fan truly wants to go through a "growing period" and always wants the team to win. It will be a frusterating season again. I just hope JP can put us over the hump.

217769[/snapback]

I think JP will have times next season when he struggles. I think he'll also have moments of brilliance and plays that will make us all very happy. The difference between now and next year is that Drew also struggles but the great plays are not there anymore.

I'm very happy with all the indications that the team is ready to let JP take over as starter. I think we have to thank Ben R. and the Steelers a bit for this, as he showed that if you have a good running game and a good defense, a rookie QB can bring you a level of success. Face it, Ben did not play spectacularly all year...but he did play SMART. If we can get the same thing out of JP, then 9-7 again next year may not be out of the question.

And regarding Drew...I think the key factor in whether he will restructure and agree to back up JP is if there is any interest out there for him as a starter. Honestly, how many teams would be willing to bring Drew in and have him step in as their starter? People are saying Dallas, with Drew's connection with Parcells, but I'm not so sure. They already have their own Drew, and he is obviously there plan for the future, so will probably get a chance to start next fall. Arizona? Chicago? Miami?

When push comes to shove, I think Drew will initially refuse to restructure, leading to his March 1 release. He will then test the market for a month or so, and then come back to the Bills with an incentive-laden contract as the backup to JP. I'd prefer to have Drew as our backup over some other veteran since he is already up to speed on the offense, and for that reason, can effectively tutor JP as the season progresses.

In other news, the Bills are prepared to keep Rob Johnson, no wait, Doug Flutie! No wait, Rob Johnson!

These writers are making wild speculations, just like the fans here. Nobody knows what's going to happen. They write articles about things people are talking about in order to sell papers. That's all there is to it.

I'm still worried about Losman because with what I saw of him in the preseason and limited regular season play, he looks to want to run first and throw second, and that won't win a lot of games. I just hope that he can be coached out of doing that.

CW