Wow, Here's a Throwback Who Believes No Means No....

What a refreshing thing to read in this time of political correctness, working the angles to get what you want, and just plain deceit. Mr. Koblenzer knew the rule, broke it inadvertently, 'fessed up and took his firing like a mature adult (albeit from thirty years ago).

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/29/vietnam-veteran-73-loses-job-at-cracker-barrel-after-giving-muffin-to-needy-man/?intcmp=latestnews

It's unfortunate that many in society today can't seem to get their heads around the idea of rules, consequences, and the idea the No means No. For many people today, the response No to a request simply means look for someone else who might possibly respond Yes to the same request.

Times change too...

He's got 5 violations and is 73... Doesn't need the job. A family to feed w/that extra income? Why is he even working and collectinig SS? I know it is his right to earn extra income. Did they say how much he was collecting on SS to begin with? What he did before "retirement?" Good for him though. If anything, it does paint Cracker Barrel in a nit picky light. I am never going there again... I never really liked it anyway, corporate food/gift shop hustle @ its finest. Sounds like a sucky place to work.

Anyway about 40 years ago, my mother worked the midnight shift moonlighting @ Dunkin Dounuts (Union Rd. in Cheektowaga, near the airport)... They used to throw out all the messed up dounuts (ones that weren't cooked perfect) and she asked why they can't give them to the needy... They just wouldn't, I guess too much work. They were still perfectly good donuts. Anyway, before they hit the biz... She'd finish & pack them up and put them on the steps all our neighbors when returning home after her shift... The neighbors loved them! Glad Dunkin Donuts wasn't nit picky, probably good advertising/brand recognition. Just imagine if her employer treated her like Stojan for not exactly following the rules? Would anybody that knew her want to go to Dunkin Donuts? Same with this guy @ Cracker Barrel.

Something tells me this guy that worked @ Cracker Barrel is trying to get a point across. I don't think it is about him. By falling on the sword, IMO he gets the point across clearly: Avoid Cracker Barrel.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

What a refreshing thing to read in this time of political correctness, working the angles to get what you want, and just plain deceit. Mr. Koblenzer knew the rule, broke it inadvertently, 'fessed up and took his firing like a mature adult (albeit from thirty years ago).

http://www.foxnews.c...tcmp=latestnews

It's unfortunate that many in society today can't seem to get their heads around the idea of rules, consequences, and the idea the No means No. For many people today, the response No to a request simply means look for someone else who might possibly respond Yes to the same request.

Since you're focusing on his actions only (& not those of CB) I cannot believe that he forgot that he shouldn't give away food. He may have done it for the "right" reason, but, you don't forget that it's against company policy to give product away.

Those have to be the stupidest rules I have ever read....They actually encourage their employees to giving food away and consuming it without paying for it??? That's a pretty sweet bennie

Cracker Barrel, however, says the muffin giveaway was Koblenzer’s fifth violation of company policy, which includes not giving away food and not consuming food without paying for it.

Since you're focusing on his actions only (& not those of CB) I cannot believe that he forgot that he shouldn't give away food. He may have done it for the "right" reason, but, you don't forget that it's against company policy to give product away.

"Things Happen"

Those have to be the stupidest rules I have ever read....They actually encourage their employees to giving food away and consuming it without paying for it??? That's a pretty sweet bennie

I don't think that means what you think it means.

"Things Happen"

5 times apparently.

Like Pooj said.

Sure he fell on the sword, of course and by doing so he is hammering Pooj's point home. Well done to the former Cracker Barrel employee. Who wants to patronize a ticky tacky rule orientated place... Especially overly corporate Cracker Barrel. One of the reasons for not raising minimum wage could be that food places could bend a little when it comes to benny's like free food and whatever. Heck, as a dishwasher in my youth, one of the things was the cook would make us a dinner after we finished...

Shame on Cracker Barrel...

Come on! He knows what the rules are... He's lived 73 years! Of course he broke them and seen how far he could take them... They are stupid rules, probably never seen such stupid rules in his 73 years.

Fall on the sword, expose the stupidness of the place... Next EiL's wife says on the way traveling to BFLO or wherever: "Let's stop @ Cracker Barrel." I can reply: "No way in hell because how treat their minimum wage employees."

That I think is his point.

Come on! He knows what the rules are... He's lived 73 years! Of course he broke them and seen how far he could take them... They are stupid rules, probably never seen such stupid rules in his 73 years.

Fall on the sword, expose the stupidness of the place... Next EiL's wife says on the way traveling to BFLO or wherever: "Let's stop @ Cracker Barrel." I can reply: "No way in hell because how treat their minimum wage employees."

That I think is his point.

So, in your reality employees should be able to give away the products that they are hawking?

Anyway about 40 years ago, my mother worked the midnight shift moonlighting @ Dunkin Dounuts (Union Rd. in Cheektowaga, near the airport)... They used to throw out all the messed up dounuts (ones that weren't cooked perfect) and she asked why they can't give them to the needy... They just wouldn't, I guess too much work. They were still perfectly good donuts. Anyway, before they hit the biz... She'd finish & pack them up and put them on the steps all our neighbors when returning home after her shift... The neighbors loved them! Glad Dunkin Donuts wasn't nit picky, probably good advertising/brand recognition. Just imagine if her employer treated her like Stojan for not exactly following the rules? Would anybody that knew her want to go to Dunkin Donuts? Same with this guy @ Cracker Barrel.

I was at a charity event and towards the end they were taking down the buffet, I noticed they were just throwing away any leftover food. I asked if I could take some home, was told no, against their rules, because if I got sick from eating it days later, I could sue them. Disappointing because I wouldn't have had to buy groceries for several weeks with the amount they were throwing away.

So, in your reality employees should be able to give away the products that they are hawking?

The most successful restaurants I ever worked for were the ones that gave away the most free stuff...the attitude of the owners were usually along the lines of "we'll make more money by keeping people coming back and giving them a reason to tell their friends how great we are". "We got free stuff" is one of the all-time best word-of-mouth drivers.

The most successful restaurants I ever worked for were the ones that gave away the most free stuff...the attitude of the owners were usually along the lines of "we'll make more money by keeping people coming back and giving them a reason to tell their friends how great we are". "We got free stuff" is one of the all-time best word-of-mouth drivers.

On who's say so?

I was at a charity event and towards the end they were taking down the buffet, I noticed they were just throwing away any leftover food. I asked if I could take some home, was told no, against their rules, because if I got sick from eating it days later, I could sue them. Disappointing because I wouldn't have had to buy groceries for several weeks with the amount they were throwing away.

FWIW, that was the reason 40 years ago with the story about my mother working @ Dunkin Donuts.

We live in a more and more nit pickier world where lawyers are ready to pounce. You would think one of the perks of working a low end food service job would anything but the policies Cracker Barrel has... Within reason. Well, since the perks aren't there, then maybe they should raise the minimum wage.

You can probably tell I can't stand Cracker Barrel and this is a reason to always nix the suggestion when it is offered as a place to eat (usually when traveling). I am not anti corporate dining, but it seems their polices take the cake.

I used to work in a deli and have the old Polish ladies lining up.... LoL... I'd make sure they see me put an extra slice on AFTER I weighed it... You could sell anything you want to them after that... I imagine times now are a lot pickier and cut to the edge (no pun intended).

And... No sicko comments. ;-P

I'm not sure what you're asking...

I would think he is asking who authorized the freebies. It would have to be ownership. Like you said, smart ownership knows how to work the freebies and keep them coming back paying. Something Cracker Barrel is missing out. Notice Cracker Barrel has the God awful "country store"/gift shop that you walk right through. That right there tells me to run far, far, away! I think that's why my wife likes Cracker Barrel, she can check out the gift shop... Wallbash!

I'm not sure what you're asking...

Was anyone free to give stuff away or would a manager need to be involved?

Either way, what you're talking about is a much different scenario. Corporate chain restaurant has policies in place and this guy ignored them.

Could he have bought the guy a muffin?

BTW, if the bartender is able to willy nilly give away drinks I'm in!

Edited by Beerball

Was anyone free to give stuff away or would a manager need to be involved?

Either way, what you're talking about is a much different scenario. Corporate chain restaurant has policies in place and this guy ignored them.

Could he have bought the guy a muffin?

Yes, anyone was free to give stuff away (in fact it was encouraged). You might think it lead to an abuse of the system; in fact it did not. Now, the stuff that folks were allowed to give away was generally limited to the less expensive items--I'm sure things would've changed if folks were allowed to give away $100 bottles of wine every night.

I fully understand that the dude violated the rules, and I don't have a problem with him suffering the consequences. I just think the corporate chain is misguided in their rules.

Yes, he could've bought the guy a muffin. He also could've just given it to him at more than one of the restaurants I worked at in the past.

Finally, practically all bartenders are allowed to give away free drinks. They generally have a limit as to how many they can give away in a night.

Even with that "the good old days" are shot... I suppose lawyers would be all over it if something happened AND the place's bottom line is cut razor thin... Don't they meter the drinks?

Yes, anyone was free to give stuff away (in fact it was encouraged). You might think it lead to an abuse of the system; in fact it did not. Now, the stuff that folks were allowed to give away was generally limited to the less expensive items--I'm sure things would've changed if folks were allowed to give away $100 bottles of wine every night.

I fully understand that the dude violated the rules, and I don't have a problem with him suffering the consequences. I just think the corporate chain is misguided in their rules.

Yes, he could've bought the guy a muffin. He also could've just given it to him at more than one of the restaurants I worked at in the past.

Finally, practically all bartenders are allowed to give away free drinks. They generally have a limit as to how many they can give away in a night.

This^^^

I still think since he was warned 5 times that he was doing for another purpose... To make CB look stupid, IMO that's why he did it. He played the part very honorably. It gets you to think how stupid the corporate rules are. It is a huge chain, of course they have Goliath policies in place. I still think if you are going to pay them minimum wage, you can give them perks with eating... That's old school... Same with helping a person in need. Even more old school, make him wash some dishes for a full meal.

"Koblenzer says he is looking for a new job, but is unsure what he will do next."

He could work for the government, they like to give things to "needy people"

That would only work if he had given away another patron's muffin.

Times change too...

He's got 5 violations and is 73... Doesn't need the job. A family to feed w/that extra income? Why is he even working and collectinig SS? I know it is his right to earn extra income. Did they say how much he was collecting on SS to begin with? What he did before "retirement?" Good for him though. If anything, it does paint Cracker Barrel in a nit picky light. I am never going there again... I never really liked it anyway, corporate food/gift shop hustle @ its finest. Sounds like a sucky place to work.

Something tells me this guy that worked @ Cracker Barrel is trying to get a point across. I don't think it is about him. By falling on the sword, IMO he gets the point across clearly: Avoid Cracker Barrel.

The probably didn't know what your mother was doing, and if they did, they likely would have prosecuted her to the fullest extent of the law. Case in point: a Dunkin Donuts local to me was doing exactly that, and their corporate offices found out. They revoked his franchise licence, and successfully sued him for everything he owned.

The probably didn't know what your mother was doing, and if they did, they likely would have prosecuted her to the fullest extent of the law. Case in point: a Dunkin Donuts local to me was doing exactly that, and their corporate offices found out. They revoked his franchise licence, and successfully sued him for everything he owned.

Maybe now. She still had to put together the messed up donuts, so that takes more product. There was always the left over, day old ones too... Which wouldn't have been a problem. This was 40 years ago... It's a lot more ticky tacky nowadays. Then again, corporate is corporate.

Like AD said above... No good deed goes unpunished.

Cracker Barrel sucks. They're overhyped, overpriced, and just ridiculous. I hope they get a lot of bad press from this.

Now, Taco Bell, that's the good stuff. But, if you're sweet and promise to put out, I'll take you to Arby's.

Lets use some critical thinking skills:

For what reasons might a national franchise eatery not want it's aged product distributed?

For what reasons might any eatery establish policies against giving away free food? Why might they feel it's a poor business policy to distribute food to vagrants during business hours?

Lets use some critical thinking skills:

For what reasons might a national franchise eatery not want it's aged product distributed?

For what reasons might any eatery establish policies against giving away free food? Why might they feel it's a poor business policy to distribute food to vagrants during business hours?

Of course that is obvious from the get go. But let it play it, if it becomes a problem it is easily corrected. Cracker Barrels aren't exactly located in prime vagrant areas. I don't buy the slippery slope argument of people all getting sick or the place becoming magnets for vagrants.

Honestly, he probably had heartburn w/their tciky tacky corporate blanket polices and he pushed it as far as it will go, got fired, did the honorable thing (because he is in position too) and hopefully they will get bad press and change their absurdly harsh policies like especially not giving minimum wage employees perks like free food. That is one way to go about instilling change: Kill them w/kindness. That's how I see it.

Good for him...