Unstoppable CJ

I might have been looking at it occasionally, but no I wasn't posting.

Ah. I just want to make clear that I don't hate Spiller, I just don't think he's great. He's a solid role player, but he's not great. I tend to aggressively defend this opinion because it was heresy last year. Everyone and their mothers were saying that he's gonna be Barry Sanders, break 2k yards, and all that jazz.

While this kind of optimism is fine, it was unrealistic. So while I may be called a "hater," the fact of the matter is that I didn't believe in CJ being a great player in 2011, 2012, 2013 and now 2014.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred and CJ could be a nice combo. Add Brown and even say Dixon and we have a stable to cover most any situation.

lets see what Nathaniel dials up this year shall we ?

No way these four guys stay on the team next year , whether by performance or contract , or business .

Great problem to have

Talk about competition at a postion ! Wholly Smokes

Go Bills !

Edited by 3rdand12

Ah. I just want to make clear that I don't hate Spiller, I just don't think he's great. He's a solid role player, but he's not great. I tend to aggressively defend this opinion because it was heresy last year. Everyone and their mothers were saying that he's gonna be Barry Sanders, break 2k yards, and all that jazz.

While this kind of optimism is fine, it was unrealistic. So while I may be called a "hater," the fact of the matter is that I didn't believe in CJ being a great player in 2011, 2012, 2013 and now 2014.

im with you here. Except I was one of the people that thought CJ could be the next Priest Holmes. And I use Holmes instead of Barry because IMO nobody has ever played the position as good as Holmes has over that 3 year period.

But CJ proved me wrong. He proved that he cannot get it done on a regular basis. He proved that he IS always injured. He proved that he is inconsistent. I got tired of making excuses for him just like everyone else that's still on the CJ bandwagon.

I think at times he can be good. But most of the times he disappoints and is only average. And for a top 10 draft pick and someone that's going to demand a ton of money next season. He's not worth it.

Fred and CJ could be a nice combo. Add Brown and even say Dixon and we have a stable to cover most any situation.

No way these four guys stay on the team next year , whether by performance or contract , or business .

Great problem to have

Go Bills !

you couldn't have said it any better.

im with you here. Except I was one of the people that thought CJ could be the next Priest Holmes. And I use Holmes instead of Barry because IMO nobody has ever played the position as good as Holmes has over that 3 year period.

But CJ proved me wrong. He proved that he cannot get it done on a regular basis. He proved that he IS always injured. He proved that he is inconsistent. I got tired of making excuses for him just like everyone else that's still on the CJ bandwagon.

I think at times he can be good. But most of the times he disappoints and is only average. And for a top 10 draft pick and someone that's going to demand a ton of money next season. He's not worth it.

Thank you . Once in a while i get lucky .

I suggest you may agree that we all wish Spiller a big season. Not expecting so much as hoping .

Hell the guy doesnt even have an agent right now . I think he knows honestly it's on him to perform regardless of the play.

That said i think the potential improvements to the O line will benefit everyone in the backfield.

I can see that. I also think this team is better with Spiller though regardless of if he is the next Barry Sanders or not.

Great problem to have

Go Bills !

Agreed. Depth for once!

Edited by What a Tuel

Running backs aren't commanding a ton of money. Unless they're AP or McCoy I don't see any RB getting any type of big money. Holmes was good and their was little to no drop off when Johnson took over.

In general it seems that fans seem to rather be able to say "I told you so, he sucks." Rather than being proven wrong. Taken the sum of his time with the Bills, Dareus has been a disappointment. Coming off last season on the field not taking off the field things into account I don't think fans would wanna give up on him.

The biggest thing Spiller has going against him is he was taken 9th when the Bills had Lynch and Jackson. He's out performed Jackson the last two seasons. Been healthier than Jackson over his time with the Bills. Jackson is a "warrior," Spiller is "injury prone."

Don't want to take into account he didn't start the first 1 and a half years?

It's tough to think of this as a positive. The 9th pick of the draft is expected to start and make an impact from day 1. When the #9 pick is also a RB?

Good article on Spiller and the "centerpiece" being different than "workhorse" ... http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-opinion/2014/6/24/5834994/ten-buffalo-bills-to-decide-2014-no-10-cj-spiller

I am not one to blame the player, the OL or the coaches but rather see it as a combination of different factors that he didn't have the same #s as 2012... however, if the Bills coaching staff cannot figure out a way to more effectively utilize a player who I believe is an elite playmaker, I think he should leave in FA because his talent is just being wasted. We now have the RB depth to be able to get he and Fred on the field at the same time w/out worrying about keeping one fresh or losing one to injury. Bryce Brown is that horse in the barn. Get him the rock in space and get out of the way.

Running backs aren't commanding a ton of money. Unless they're AP or McCoy I don't see any RB getting any type of big money. Holmes was good and their was little to no drop off when Johnson took over.

In general it seems that fans seem to rather be able to say "I told you so, he sucks." Rather than being proven wrong. Taken the sum of his time with the Bills, Dareus has been a disappointment. Coming off last season on the field not taking off the field things into account I don't think fans would wanna give up on him.

The biggest thing Spiller has going against him is he was taken 9th when the Bills had Lynch and Jackson. He's out performed Jackson the last two seasons. Been healthier than Jackson over his time with the Bills. Jackson is a "warrior," Spiller is "injury prone."

yes he will command a ton. Over $5+ million a year. He's not worth that much.

I was already proven wrong. I used to think he would be great. He hasn't been. Even his one good year was nothing spectacular. 1,200 yards is hardly mind blowing. I'm the one going out on the ledge here saying he sucks. And hoping to say "I told you so". Apparently the majority of fans, players, coaches, etc all believe he's the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders.

I'm not arguing about Dareus. But honestly, we probably should give up on him. His contract is coming up soon too. His play on the field makes him worth it, so far his issues and distractions off the field make it questionable.

Jackson has been injured a lot too. But were not using that as excuses for his play. He's old. He's injured. He's past his prime. He's 2nd string to CJ much of the time. Yet he continues to fight and prove he's better than we all think he is or has left.

And if you've watched this team the past 2 years and really thought CJ was the better player then I don't know why we're arguing. There's obviously no changing your mind. But Freddy was consistent at running the ball well, picking up first downs, keeping drives alive and giving his all out on the field. CJ has disappointed.

It's tough to think of this as a positive. The 9th pick of the draft is expected to start and make an impact from day 1. When the #9 pick is also a RB?

exactly what I'm thinking. Of he was so great why did he struggle to get on the field in that time?

yes he will command a ton. Over $5+ million a year. He's not worth that much.

I was already proven wrong. I used to think he would be great. He hasn't been. Even his one good year was nothing spectacular. 1,200 yards is hardly mind blowing. I'm the one going out on the ledge here saying he sucks. And hoping to say "I told you so". Apparently the majority of fans, players, coaches, etc all believe he's the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders.

I'm not arguing about Dareus. But honestly, we probably should give up on him. His contract is coming up soon too. His play on the field makes him worth it, so far his issues and distractions off the field make it questionable.

Jackson has been injured a lot too. But were not using that as excuses for his play. He's old. He's injured. He's past his prime. He's 2nd string to CJ much of the time. Yet he continues to fight and prove he's better than we all think he is or has left.

And if you've watched this team the past 2 years and really thought CJ was the better player then I don't know why we're arguing. There's obviously no changing your mind. But Freddy was consistent at running the ball well, picking up first downs, keeping drives alive and giving his all out on the field. CJ has disappointed.

exactly what I'm thinking. Of he was so great why did he struggle to get on the field in that time?

Maybe I missed something but not a single RB signed for 5 million a year this offseason. It's just not valued.

Maybe I missed something but not a single RB signed for 5 million a year this offseason. It's just not valued.

lets just wait and see what happens.

Reggie Bush got $16M over 4 years.

Steven Jackson the same.

While I don't think CJ even holds a candle to Jackson, he is better than Reggie Bush. And the only reason why Jackson got so little is because he's old and best up. CJ will get $5+ Million a season. Bank it. Some of the others on that list making $3+ million and you don't think CJ will get 5? Unbelievable.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/8/4143430/2013-nfl-free-agents-running-backs

Edited by mrags

lets just wait and see what happens.

Reggie Bush got $16M over 4 years.

Steven Jackson the same.

While I don't think CJ even holds a candle to Jackson, he is better than Reggie Bush. And the only reason why Jackson got so little is because he's old and best up. CJ will get $5+ Million a season. Bank it. Some of the others on that list making $3+ million and you don't think CJ will get 5? Unbelievable.

http://www.sbnation....s-running-backs

In fairness to Section242, he never stated that he didn't think Spiller will(could) get $5M. His point was that RB contracts are relatively low.

Here is the list of RB contracts:

http://www.overtheca...php?Position=RB

As you can see, only 11 RBs are on $5M+/year.......Spiller being one of them due to rookie contract.

You seem to be arguing with yourself a bit here. If Spiller is as bad as you insist in this thread, he will minimally have more injuries that impede his performance and will only be effective(when healthy) as a complimentary back......thus it would seem unlikely that he would crack $5M+/year.

Personally I think that if he stays healthy & has a great year(as a complimentary back) he will likely be looking at up to $6M-$7M.......and if he somehow manages to shoulder the load of carries and has a great season he should get higher.

Edited by Dibs

In fairness to Section242, he never stated that he didn't think Spiller will(could) get $5M. His point was that RB contracts are relatively low.

Here is the list of RB contracts:

http://www.overtheca...php?Position=RB

As you can see, only 11 RBs are on $5M+/year.......Spiller being one of them due to rookie contract.

You seem to be arguing with yourself a bit here. If Spiller is as bad as you insist in this thread, he will minimally have more injuries that impede his performance and will only be effective(when healthy) as a complimentary back......thus it would seem unlikely that he would crack $5M+/year.

Personally I think that if he stays healthy & has a great year(as a complimentary back) he will likely be looking at up to $6M-$7M.......and if he somehow manages to shoulder the load of carries and has a great season he should get higher.

I was insinuating that he is not only overpaid but overrated as well.

He will never pay a paycut in his prime. Someone will give him $5+ million somewhere.

I fail to understand why you take my "thoughts" and opinions to a personal level. I for one enjoy the dialogue.

Spiller doesn't "suck." I hope this is clear. Is he the type of player to build a team around? Of course not. He, as I recall, wasn't even an every down back in college.

And yes, he did play hurt, but so does virtually every player in every game.

Btw, have you noticed how many posters do not agree with the pedestal upon which you placed Spiller? It isn't about ME; before this I had but 1 post in this thread which I did NOT start.

I hope that Spiller can win us some games in 2014. We shall see.

Bill, I always enjoy the conversation and don't intend to make it personal. I just think the one flaw you have as a fan is you go on crusades. If the Bills draft a guy you don't like, you will always find a chance to knock them. Gilmore, McKelvin, Spiller, Whitner, etc. We can argue how good these players are, but they at the very worst solid starters who could play for most teams in the NFL.

IMO, Spiller has the ability to be that 2012 guy if there is better playcalling, oline play, and he stays healthy. He isn't a Jerome Bettis type back, but he could have an impact on this team like Reggie Bush did during the SB run for the Saints (and Spiller is a better rusher than Bush). Bush was the #2 overall pick. I'm sure the Saints were fine with that pick. If Spiller makes a bunch of plays to help us get to the playoffs, is he worth the pick?

For some reason, we tend to want to knock our good player. Stevie Johnson (who a goodteam traded for), Aaron Schobel (second best DE in Bills' history IMO), Spiller (51. ypc career), Kyle Williams now. These guys aren't perfect but if our QBs weren't JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Fitz (who I love) and was instead Brady, they'd be valued players on playoffs teams.

Final question: would you want NE to sign Spiller next year?

I wouldn't give 2 chits if the Pats signed Spiller. He's easy to defend against. Apparently you just have to stack the box. And that's only of he's not hindered by an ankle sprain.

He did have 19 carries for 105 yards against Ne in the last game of the year.

He did have 19 carries for 105 yards against Ne in the last game of the year.

"IMO, Spiller has the ability to be that 2012 guy if there is better playcalling, oline play, and he stays healthy"

All I hear are excuses. For the last time, HE IS INCONSISTENT, ALWAYS INJURED. I don't care who takes him.

"IMO, Spiller has the ability to be that 2012 guy if there is better playcalling, oline play, and he stays healthy"

All I hear are excuses. For the last time, HE IS INCONSISTENT, ALWAYS INJURED. I don't care who takes him.

You're right. If LeSean McCoy played on this team last year instead of one with 2 1st time all pro offensive linemen, he would have the same exact stats. Everything is black and white. Happy Friday.