Why 80% of NFL players are broke 2 yrs after they retire

Does this restaurant have a luxury box or multiple season tickets? Do the car dealerships where players purchase their cars have them? I think there is a lot of that kind of thing going on. Nothing I'm gonna lose sleep over, because it's all part of becoming a multi-millionaire overnight, and is a rite of passage into the crazy, mixed up world of professional sports. I just hope most of the money gets circulated back to the low rungs of the local economy....probably not though.

Ultimately it's the fans that pay for this kind of excess. The tickets, the parking, concessions, etc. And of course, being endlessly bombarded with advertisements. They don't just want your money, they want your time (and mind). At what point does that experience become more unpleasant than pleasing?

The fans will pay the same regardless of whether or not athletes are "responsible" with their money or not - or even if they are well paid or not. That's just economics. The league and the owners primarily seek to maximize revenues and profits. The NFLPA joins them except in cases where it adversely effects the players (like more games). Then the owners and NFLPA fight over each's share of the take.

As for how players (and even owners) spend their money I could not possibly care less. If they want to burn through it in five years and live the life of their dreams, so be it. It's their money. If they want to make it last their whole lives, then that's great. The only ones I have any sympathy for are the ones that invested and tried to be responsible, but got taken by scam artists. I bet they would have rather blown it all on $60k dinners and Bentleys than have seen Bernie Madoff or one of his ilk make off with it.

Edited by BarleyNY

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CB pac man jones walked into a Las Vegas strip joint with 80k cash and started ''making it rain" by throwing money at the strippers. NY Giants LBer Lawrence Taylor stated he had just gotten paid, had 90k in his pocket so what else should he do with the money but buy drugs, and girls.

Its not just football players, look at Mike Tyson and other pro boxers, MC Hammer, Nicolas Cage. It also happens to so many lottery winners, as people get a windfall of money and they go nuts buying things. It would be smarter to but just one expensive car, watch, house etc. The world is full of stupid people who make stupid decisions.

Conversely, there are also many football players out there who make the most of their opportunity, and make the proper choices.

Edited by FeartheLosing

CB pac man jones walked into a Las Vegas strip joint with 80k cash and started ''making it rain" by throwing money at the strippers. NY Giants LBer Lawrence Taylor stated he had just gotten paid, had 90k in his pocket so what else should he do with the money but buy drugs, and girls.

Its not just football players, look at Mike Tyson and other pro boxers, MC Hammer, Nicolas Cage. It also happens to so many lottery winners, as people get a windfall of money and they go nuts buying things. It would be smarter to but just one expensive car, watch, house etc. The world is full of stupid people who make stupid decisions.

Conversely, there are also many football players out there who make the most of their opportunity, and make the proper choices.

There you have it. People that don't have money don't have it for a couple reasons. Either they have no ability to make it or they don't know how to keep it. The guys that blow it all don't understand the simple concept of cash flow.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

ROCK-PAPER-SCISSORS-ROSHAMBO?

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 6m

Remember the $64K+ bill @EvanMathis69 tweeted about? Read first letter of each item: ROCK-PAPER-SCISSORS-ROSHAMBO...

So he was trolling everyone? If so, that's hilarious.

EDIT:

And then he posted this. Too funny...

Edited by TheLynchTrain

So he was trolling everyone? If so, that's hilarious.

EDIT:

And then he posted this. Too funny...

https://twitter.com/...429125859131396

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 40s

Evan Mathis strikes again, intentionally misleading the media with a fake $64,000 dinner receipt http://wp.me/p14QSB-9v7c

LOL, glad he isn't that stupid after the Dolphins incident

Evan Mathis strikes again, intentionally misleading the media with a fake $64,000 dinner receipt http://wp.me/p14QSB-9v7c

Wow, I guess someone is upset, haha. The media has a job to do? Really Mike? So retweeting a picture with a comment about what pro athlete's spend at dinner is reporting? How about checking sources before just assuming the story to be true, there's a lesson to be learned here.

Whereas Schefter didn't really seem to mind.

Wow, I guess someone is upset, haha. The media has a job to do? Really Mike? So retweeting a picture with a comment about what pro athlete's spend at dinner is reporting? How about checking sources before just assuming the story to be true, there's a lesson to be learned here.

What does that mean? The Bills have a deep-rooted drag racing culture within the organization and I learned it all on Twitter. Signed, Tim Graham

From Florio: "Whether it’s lying to one reporter or lying to all of them, the lesson is that no one should listen to anything Mathis ever has to say, if he’s going to continue to engage in the pro athlete equivalent of having pizzas delivered to his next-door neighbor."

Or, I have a thought, maybe somebody in the media should have tried to call Mathis and see what happened before "reporting" about it? You know, actually confirm a story that you're writing about is true? I know Florio and his site didn't post about it, but plenty of "reputable" sites actually did...without speaking with Mathis first.

And "lying to one reporter or lying to all of them' ???!!! Unless somebody picked up the phone and actually confirmed with Mathis that it was a legit dinner receipt (maybe they did), I think the word lying is a little bit of a stretch.

Exactly - you beat me to it

I wonder how many rookies would dare say no. I'd be pissed off if I was expected to pay so much to veteran players who make so much more than me.

Oh...

This is the entire problem. Right here.

I think its a function of how you were raised. As a kid, and also in college, with role models. Or without.

its hard to resist peer pressure. But that's what kinda separates the men from the boys. As a kid I probably fought too much. As a young adult, same thing. Because I learned very early some basic lessons at home and in my 'hood (east side Buffalo, city-of). Got punked a couple times until, at about 14 I figured out to fight back. F&*k it. And then life changed for the better. Became hard-headed in a good way. To stand up for myself. (I think it was Winston Churchill who said "If you have no enemies, it means you have never stood up for anything in your life"). If you whoop my a$$, so-be-it. But that's gonna be what it takes.

Not sure where this is headed w/r/t rookie millionaires. But you are either a grown-ass-man or not. And its never too late. If you have it in you.

And I didnt intend this to be the point of this post, but I have noticed for years that the Bills dont really have any veteran leadership on the roster. A couple old guys. A couple name guys, but nobody who can command a room because he has proven he knows what it takes. Somebody who could step into a rookie-hazing situation and shut it off. Manning? Ray Lewis? Brees? Brady? even Steve Smith. "This is MY team and we dont do that 'shtt' here, son. We're here to win a Superbowl, not to win a pissing contest. Grow up and get on board."

I think that's what separates us from championship teams.

Edited by maddenboy

When you give 20 year old kids millions, what do you expect them to do? Open up an IRA? Should be clauses built in that prohibit spending certain percentages of their of their earnings the first year or get them in touch with good financial advisers.

From Florio: "Whether it’s lying to one reporter or lying to all of them, the lesson is that no one should listen to anything Mathis ever has to say, if he’s going to continue to engage in the pro athlete equivalent of having pizzas delivered to his next-door neighbor."

What a whining douchebag. I would love if this became the new normal --- athletes screwing with these idiot lemmings and their overinflated egos.

Bingo.

Just saw this and Florios reaction..priceless, and I like Florio.

But sure did not seem to be an uproar from Mike when the whole "mickleson involved in insider trading" was 100% discredited...and that was on not only the front page of the sports section...but the business section as well.