Yes, The Gov't Cares About the Little Guy

I remarked about this OTW in Beerball's post but feel it belongs here too. Does the government ever think about the consequences of their actions? That was a rhetorical question of course. This is going to !@#$ so many small time operations that are now just hitting their stride and getting world renowed. Damn this pisses me off!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcneal/2014/06/09/fda-may-destroy-american-artisan-cheese-industry/

The assumption is they are doing good to address food born illness. The reality is most people don't care or understand that eating artisan cheese produced in that manner is a risk worth taking.

Jensen Farms in Colorado is done after they had the contaminated Melon a few years ago. They followed procedures, did everything they could to keep their product clean and safe.

You will likely never have a zero in the food born illness incident rate column. The trick is to take reasonable precautions, educate the public about non-modern production processes, and let them decide.

The assumption is they are doing good to address food born illness. The reality is most people don't care or understand that eating artisan cheese produced in that manner is a risk worth taking.

Jensen Farms in Colorado is done after they had the contaminated Melon a few years ago. They followed procedures, did everything they could to keep their product clean and safe.

You will likely never have a zero in the food born illness incident rate column. The trick is to take reasonable precautions, educate the public about non-modern production processes, and let them decide.

How many cases of food borne illness regarding cheese are you aware of that have come from the aging process? It usually comes from tainted milk. Cheese production facilities are some of the most sanitary in the food industry. The number one cause of food borne illness is due to cross contamination. Raw meats being process on cutting boards where raw food is then processed or raw meat products stored above foods that will be served raw (ie lettuce). Because of the cross contamination by the improper use of wooden cutting boards and the fact that cheese is aged on wood the FDA (or some dingbat with the FDA) but two and two together and came up with lawnmower.

BTW what public education do we need? That cheese is yummy and if it kills you at least you'll die with a smile on your face??

How many cases of food borne illness regarding cheese are you aware of that have come from the aging process?

that's the first thing that I thought of as well. the trouble is that you have public servants that think they're doing the right thing, but have no clue about the process of making cheese. as a result, you get the typical bureaucratic ham-handedness in trying to solve a problem that doesn't actually exist.

Even from the Left

The Government Is Cracking Down on Artisanal Cheese

http://www.nationaljournal.com/domesticpolicy/the-government-is-cracking-down-on-artisanal-cheese-20140610

The FDA’s Misguided War on Bacteria That Makes Cheese Taste Good

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/06/10/fda_wood_aged_cheese_ban_bad_news_for_comt_and_cheddar_lovers.html

How many cases of food borne illness regarding cheese are you aware of that have come from the aging process? It usually comes from tainted milk. Cheese production facilities are some of the most sanitary in the food industry. The number one cause of food borne illness is due to cross contamination. Raw meats being process on cutting boards where raw food is then processed or raw meat products stored above foods that will be served raw (ie lettuce). Because of the cross contamination by the improper use of wooden cutting boards and the fact that cheese is aged on wood the FDA (or some dingbat with the FDA) but two and two together and came up with lawnmower.

BTW what public education do we need? That cheese is yummy and if it kills you at least you'll die with a smile on your face??

My point was instead of banning artisan cheese historically rich, proven process- a middle ground is label cheese as Wood Aged with a website for people to go to see the risks of the process. 99% of people who buy artisan cheese buyers won't care about the label, the 1% will be glad to be notified and still won't care. To me, its like listing the calories, but not banning the Burrito, know what I mean.

that's the first thing that I thought of as well. the trouble is that you have public servants that think they're doing the right thing, but have no clue about the process of making cheese. as a result, you get the typical bureaucratic ham-handedness in trying to solve a problem that doesn't actually exist.

But if even just ONE CHILD IS SAVED by this reinterpreted regulation, then this ban on evil wood will have been worth it. :rolleyes:

Also, the 'little guy' isn't the one that can afford fancy wood boards and cultures and the like. The 'little guy' is the poor soul buying a scrap of artisanal cheese with his food stamps. HE doesn't have a say in the POISONS the fat cat puts into his meager diet and Iis fortunate to have THIS administration watching out for him; we all KNOW nobody else will. (Damn, this Gatortard stuff is pretty easy to write. :lol:)

But if even just ONE CHILD IS SAVED by this reinterpreted regulation, then this ban on evil wood will have been worth it. :rolleyes:

Also, the 'little guy' isn't the one that can afford fancy wood boards and cultures and the like. The 'little guy' is the poor soul buying a scrap of artisanal cheese with his food stamps. HE doesn't have a say in the POISONS the fat cat puts into his meager diet and Iis fortunate to have THIS administration watching out for him; we all KNOW nobody else will. (Damn, this Gatortard stuff is pretty easy to write. :lol:)

Only 2% of blacks eat artisanal cheese and therefore we need more government regulation anyway to correct the racial imbalance.

My point was instead of banning artisan cheese historically rich, proven process- a middle ground is label cheese as Wood Aged with a website for people to go to see the risks of the process.

99% of people who buy artisan cheese buyers won't care about the label, the 1% will be glad to be notified and still won't care.

To me, its like listing the calories, but not banning the Burrito, know what I mean.

Oh dear, B..........way too much common sense there.

Let people decide for themselves ?

Madness.

Next thing is you'll want to decide how much water to flush your toilet with.

Only the Federal Government can tell us what to do.

If there`s anything limousine liberals love, it's their wine and cheese from their ivory towers so I don't know if this will get done.

Obama will probably chime in about this.

My point was instead of banning artisan cheese historically rich, proven process- a middle ground is label cheese as Wood Aged with a website for people to go to see the risks of the process. 99% of people who buy artisan cheese buyers won't care about the label, the 1% will be glad to be notified and still won't care. To me, its like listing the calories, but not banning the Burrito, know what I mean.

So 100% of the people won't care but we have to label cheese wood aged because why exactly?? So politicians, and you as well apparently, will feel good about warning people (100% of whom don't care) that something bad might, possibly, maybe (but probably not) happen to them? What a load of cheese curd.

:lol:

and how many trees were murdered in order for you to enjoy your fat-cat elitist cheese?

:lol:

and how many trees were murdered in order for you to enjoy your fat-cat elitist cheese?

Better to murder a tree (or several forests, as it may be) and save a child than to murder a tree (where'd you think they get the wood for the cutting boards) AND allow a child's senseless death. :rolleyes:

This is awful but it hardly proves the case for the "Government is Bad" crowd. I bet no cheese manufacturers close over this.

We don't need any more proof. And maybe cheese makers won't close but the quality will suffer. But that's the soviet way isn't it. Equally distributed shite.

This is awful but it hardly proves the case for the "Government is Bad" crowd. I bet no cheese manufacturers close over this.

Something the government does is awful but it's not a case for the government's bad. There's some fantastic logic right there folks. Good job gator. :thumbsup: This is just one of many, many things the government does that is awful.

It doesn't have to put them out of business to make it a huge game changer. The artisan cheese movement has made incredible strides the past 10 years or so to compete with European (mainly French, BTW where has Oliver in France gone off to?) surpasing them in many ways. This sets them back 20 plus years and makes it more difficult or impossible for them to compete. Also how does this affect imported cheeses aged on wood. Many require that they be aged on wood, such as Comte. Will they still be able to be imported? Will we have to smuggle them in crates of wine like we used to 30 years ago with foie gras? Go ahead make light of it but the whole artisan cheese community, a community that I'm very much familiar with is pissed. And pissed big time.

Edited by Chef Jim

Yeah, that's part of the problem. I guess you would have needed to read the article to understand that.

Or are you just happy about the positive impact this has for giant, multi-national corporations?

Oh dear, B..........way too much common sense there.

Let people decide for themselves ?

Madness.

Next thing is you'll want to decide how much water to flush your toilet with.

Only the Federal Government can tell us what to do.

B- I don't know about you, but the Government knows what's best for me.

Little side story about Toilet Flushing. We had out sewer line scoped because some of neighbors had to trench their backyards to replace their pipes which had clogged and broken. Our, was fine- what funny, is the Plumber said our high volume flush toilets and top load washer is what probably kept our sewer pipe clean and flushed. He said he sees alot of homes with High Efficieny Toilets and Washers that have clogged and defunct pipes...

Take that Water Conservation advocates... lol- Government, you can stick it up your butt too...

B- I don't know about you, but the Government knows what's best for me.

Little side story about Toilet Flushing. We had out sewer line scoped because some of neighbors had to trench their backyards to replace their pipes which had clogged and broken. Our, was fine- what funny, is the Plumber said our high volume flush toilets and top load washer is what probably kept our sewer pipe clean and flushed. He said he sees alot of homes with High Efficieny Toilets and Washers that have clogged and defunct pipes...

Take that Water Conservation advocates... lol- Government, you can stick it up your butt too...

Yes the government thinks it knows what's best but unfortunately they don't think. They forced low flow toilets on people here in the Bay area. Now the whole city smell like a sewer because the low flow doesn't push the waste properly. I have to flush my toilet twice which probably uses more water than regular toilets being flushed just one. Bunch of dumb asses.