Yes, The Gov't Cares About the Little Guy

So 100% of the people won't care but we have to label cheese wood aged because why exactly?? So politicians, and you as well apparently, will feel good about warning people (100% of whom don't care) that something bad might, possibly, maybe (but probably not) happen to them? What a load of cheese curd.

I like labeling to be honest. I like seeing calories estimates on menus, disclosure about GMO products, disclosures about other items me as a consumer might want to know about. The research on GMO's, Phenalanine and other articfical process are still out and I like that I am informed and can make a choice whether I want them in my products or not. It makes me a better consumer. I don't think the Government shoudl ban things is deems bad for you, but it having a role in labeling potential harmful effects/ substances- I don't see the hamr in that as much.

I make a choice to go to places that disclose calories and buy products that actively inform.

I like labeling to be honest. I like seeing calories estimates on menus, disclosure about GMO products, disclosures about other items me as a consumer might want to know about. The research on GMO's, Phenalanine and other articfical process are still out and I like that I am informed and can make a choice whether I want them in my products or not. It makes me a better consumer. I don't think the Government shoudl ban things is deems bad for you, but it having a role in labeling potential harmful effects/ substances- I don't see the hamr in that as much.

I make a choice to go to places that disclose calories and buy products that actively inform.

You really need the government to tell you what to eat and what not to eat? That's just effing sad. You're a big boy I think if you really really tried you could eat healthy all my yourself.

Yes the government thinks it knows what's best but unfortunately they don't think. They forced low flow toilets on people here in the Bay area. Now the whole city smell like a sewer because the low flow doesn't push the waste properly. I have to flush my toilet twice which probably uses more water than regular toilets being flushed just one. Bunch of dumb asses.

that savings in water will be offset by digging up the whole city and installing special low flow recycled material sewer piping.... lol... shifting the burden

You really need the government to tell you what to eat and what not to eat? That's just effing sad. You're a big boy I think if you really really tried you could eat healthy all my yourself.

did you have a stroke today? I like to see disclosure of what is in the products that are on the shelf- I don't need anybody to tell me whats good for me or bad for me, that is my reposnsibility to research and make the determination

that savings in water will be offset by digging up the whole city and installing special low flow recycled material sewer piping.... lol... shifting the burden

Sorry they're in the process of doing that too because as I mentioned the low flow toilets do not move the waste to it's final destination.......Vallejo I think.

Sorry they're in the process of doing that too because as I mentioned the low flow toilets do not move the waste to it's final destination.......Vallejo I think.

Great intentions, not so great unintended consequences.

One. Size. Fits. All. Or. Chaos!

Now why don't you people get that? In Obamacare, in everything else: How are the people in DC supposed to monitor cheese production business processes*, when you people keep insisting on having more than 1 of them?

No. That makes their job way too hard to do. In fact no one can be expected to monitor mulitple/varied business processes at the same time. It's not like this is inflexible, you can change ingredients in the cheese you make, add flavors or whatever, but, you have to make it the same way every time...or our quality measurment instruments become useless! Nobody wants that!

:lol:

You think that's sarcasm? No. That's literally the mentality I've seen on full display in 7 different industries now. This is about "no one can be expected".

Let me re-write that objectively "You can't expect me to come up with a way to do that, because I can't".

That is the key. That's where the mentality originates: lack of competence/sub-standard individuals being put in position to literally make business decisions that are completely out of their depth. They have no business being anywhere near making business decisions for anyone, in anything. Yet, now we have them deciding how to make cheese? Did Congress pass a law?

They are the ONLY people empowered to regulate commerce.

*(um, cause that's what regulators think they are supposed to do now. You know, manage your business for you...from DC...without really knowing the industry/your people/your customers)

Edited by OCinBuffalo

*...as a result, you get the typical bureaucratic ham-handedness in trying to solve a problem that doesn't actually exist.

*See: Asian carp invading the Great Lakes.

Now we have the wooden board police.

My point was instead of banning artisan cheese historically rich, proven process- a middle ground is label cheese as Wood Aged with a website for people to go to see the risks of the process. 99% of people who buy artisan cheese buyers won't care about the label, the 1% will be glad to be notified and still won't care. To me, its like listing the calories, but not banning the Burrito, know what I mean.

That is what I thought would happen.

B- I don't know about you, but the Government knows what's best for me.

Little side story about Toilet Flushing. We had out sewer line scoped because some of neighbors had to trench their backyards to replace their pipes which had clogged and broken. Our, was fine- what funny, is the Plumber said our high volume flush toilets and top load washer is what probably kept our sewer pipe clean and flushed. He said he sees alot of homes with High Efficieny Toilets and Washers that have clogged and defunct pipes...

Take that Water Conservation advocates... lol- Government, you can stick it up your butt too...

Wow... I was wondering when the low flush toilet era would finally rear its unintended consequences head.

15 years ago when we moved in, I turned our low flush toilets back into 3 gallon models... It really isn't that hard to do, afterall it is basically the same toilet.

Yes the government thinks it knows what's best but unfortunately they don't think. They forced low flow toilets on people here in the Bay area. Now the whole city smell like a sewer because the low flow doesn't push the waste properly. I have to flush my toilet twice which probably uses more water than regular toilets being flushed just one. Bunch of dumb asses.

I think a low flow water closet is around 1.5 gallons. Full flow 3.0. So it is 2 to 1. Some toilets would just intsall a "restrictor" around the flapper. It is plastic, cut that off or take a right angle drill and drill holes in it and the toilet will flush more water.

State of Cali is bizzare... I was reading in my water softener installation manual that in Cali you MUST activate the salt/water saving feature... What? They have softener police come door to door? Yikes, they probably do!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

If you're THAT concerned, why not just flush twice? Beats replacing the can at around $200 a pop. I'm surprised you didn't think of that.

Seriously, people obsess about the silliest ****.

This sounds to me like some summer interns at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives are on a work rotation this year and were sent over to the FDA to spread their neurotic insecurity around. Think of it as seasoning - they sprinkle wicked thoughts on people's minds and it gets lapped up like saffron, salt, and truffles and it makes the leftist dogma go down so much better. Government Knows Best! You're nothing without the government. Work in the government and your debt is forgiven twice as fast as the scum that works in the private sector that's killing our planet. Ohhhhhh, we're sooooooooo smart! We've got degrees and know sooooo much!

Something the government does is awful but it's not a case for the government's bad. There's some fantastic logic right there folks. Good job gator. :thumbsup: This is just one of many, many things the government does that is awful.

It doesn't have to put them out of business to make it a huge game changer. The artisan cheese movement has made incredible strides the past 10 years or so to compete with European (mainly French, BTW where has Oliver in France gone off to?) surpasing them in many ways. This sets them back 20 plus years and makes it more difficult or impossible for them to compete. Also how does this affect imported cheeses aged on wood. Many require that they be aged on wood, such as Comte. Will they still be able to be imported? Will we have to smuggle them in crates of wine like we used to 30 years ago with foie gras? Go ahead make light of it but the whole artisan cheese community, a community that I'm very much familiar with is pissed. And pissed big time.

Freedom is being chipped away at. Sometimes a little at time or a lot at a time like Barrycare. Edited by Dante

Wow... I was wondering when the low flush toilet era would finally rear its unintended consequences head.

15 years ago when we moved in, I turned our low flush toilets back into 3 gallon models... It really isn't that hard to do, afterall it is basically the same toilet.

I flush 4 times with those low flows just to wash down that clump of brown that represents 1/2 of my intestines capacity- I've seen some that are small flush/ large flush- but they never seem to work very well. Honestly, if people weret hat worried about water ususage, they'd turn off their sprinklers I see running when it is raining lately (and it has rained alot in Denver, weird)- also, if you are worried about water usuage, don't plant water hungry Kentucky Blugrass on prarie (Denver Metro area). But a low flush toilets are easy, an sure makes us all feel alot better- rolleyes-

I've been saying for several years that regulations, in general, are designed to make it more difficult for small producers to compete with large producers--in this case, the "big cheese" wins....

I've been saying for several years that regulations, in general, are designed to make it more difficult for small producers to compete with large producers--in this case, the "big cheese" wins....

As I mentioned in the OTW thread about this that FDA Chief Monica Metz was in charge of quality control at Leprino the world's largest producer of mozzarella cheese. Coincidence? Hmmmm........

having watched friends and family members over the years as they tried to get a business of their own going, that's certainly the impression that I come away with. it's a shame.....getting a business up & running is difficult enough as it is.

Edited by Azalin

having watched friends and family members over the years as they tried to get a business of their own going, that's certainly the impression that I come away with. it's a shame.....getting a business up & running is difficult enough as it is.

I had an employee who had a friend who made is own Absinthe. Stuff was incredible. Grew his own wormwood. He said big liquor made it completely impossible to take it to market.

As I mentioned in the OTW thread about this that FDA Chief Monica Metz was in charge of quality control at Leprino the world's largest producer of mozzarella cheese. Coincidence? Hmmmm........

just went through that thread, entertaining stuff. No surprise at all on the connection.

Didn't know you made cheese. I hope it's Gouda.....

Cheese puns are easy.

I had an employee who had a friend who made is own Absinthe. Stuff was incredible. Grew his own wormwood. He said big liquor made it completely impossible to take it to market.

in Texas you'll have to face TABC (Texas alcoholic beverage commission...agents actually carry sidearms) as well as big booze if you hope to produce anything more than craft beer). it's a wonder that companies like Tito's can make it at all.