Speculation on Larry Page, CEO of Google as potential bidder

Sal Capaccio discussed on WGR and tweeted about the possibility of Larry Page (worth 31 billion) making a move to buy the Bills this morning. When questioned about whether there had been any speculation about him, he carefully commented there had been no "public" speculation. When questioned about why a player worth this much, with no apparent local ties, would keep the team in WNY, he commented that he would not be bringing it up if he was worried about him moving them. Wondering if this name has come up anywhere else...

Sal Capaccio@SalSports

This is one of my dream owners for #Bills, and I don't think it's that far-fetched. Just sayin': http://www.forbes.co...-page/ …

Sal Capaccio@SalSports 2h

@MaxHockE I carefully constructed my tweet. There has been no *public* speculation.

Sal Capaccio@SalSports 1h

@DFSPIRATE @firstfunniest @billsdaily I'm not tweeting what I did if I believed he'd move team. Read between the lines.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A guy who grew up in Michigan and lives in California is a 'dream owner' for the Bills??

What am I missing?

Exactly... I have no idea. But there is something he knows or has heard, or I don't think he would be talking about it. He seems like a straight shooter (Sal).

Sal Capaccio @SalSports · 38m

Founder of eGroups RT @johnnymneumonic @SalSports Scott Hassan an early employee of Google w/strong ties to Buff. Page/ Hassan still tight.

A guy who grew up in Michigan and lives in California is a 'dream owner' for the Bills??

What am I missing?

that he has a TON of money, and if LA isnt a real option, he may not actually want to move them? just speculation there.

someone doesnt HAVE to be from buffalo to keep a team there, just like a NY'er might want to move it.

that he has a TON of money, and if LA isnt a real option, he may not actually want to move them? just speculation there.

someone doesnt HAVE to be from buffalo to keep a team there, just like a NY'er might want to move it.

Some folks commented that Google is in silicon valley which already has the Niners, and that they don't get along with SoCal types. No idea if that is true or means anything but the gist was he is not in LA and may not want to be in LA. Edited by YoloinOhio

Page is absolutely a "my way or the highway" kind of guy. If you are familiar with how Steve Jobs ran Apple, that's how Page runs Google.

He has brains, balls and is the kind of guy who doesn't mess around. He demands to win, period.

All of this can be good for the Bills. But Page is like Trump in that if conditions are favorable for relocation and he thinks it is in the best interest of the team to do so, he will pull the trigger without hesitation, regardless of the initial cost of relocation.

If he becomes the owner it will be an interesting ride to be sure.

All Bills players helmets will be equipped with Google Glass visors that tell players what they need to know: pass trajectories, open receivers, who has the ball on fakes, etc. I like it.

On a side note: anyone who thinks the Bills will be sold at their valuation price of $850MM is in for shock.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Sounds like he's a guy who could write that $400 Million dollar relocation check to Erie County and not blink.

He could tell the NFL, and the Bills fans that they are moving to Cali and he's building his own stadium.

Edited by oman128

All Bills players helmets will be equipped with Google Glass visors that tell players what they need to know: pass trajectories, open receivers, who has the ball on fakes, etc. I like it.

Also, he is trying to take over NFL Ticket, from what I read. So - free Ticket for Bills fans?

No they don't have to be from WNY, but I fail to see how someone who lives 2500 miles from Buffalo is 'ideal'. He's hardly the only guy who can afford to buy the team.

Sounds like he's a guy who could write that $400 Million dollar relocation check to Erie County and not blink.

He could tell the NFL, and the Bills fans that they are moving to Cali and he's building his own stadium.

If he makes that known prior to the sale he could be disqualified by the search committee.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Tim Graham mentioned a few weeks ago about someone at google, like a founder or something, I thought his name was chris, could be one of those people who would come out of now where, and make a bid for the bills. He did say this person has local ties, like lockport or something, and was a grad of buff state. It caught my attention only because I didn't know anyone local had anything to do with google. It was a video interview with Florio on PFT website.

If he makes that known prior to the sale he could be disqualified by the search committee.

Then they will install gyro's in the helmets to record real time statistics on the force of the hits they give/take, EJ will be equiped with a proximity sensor that detects on coming rushers on his blind side.

Tim Graham mentioned a few weeks ago about someone at google, like a founder or something, I thought his name was chris, could be one of those people who would come out of now where, and make a bid for the bills. He did say this person has local ties, like lockport or something, and was a grad of buff state. It caught my attention only because I didn't know anyone local had anything to do with google. It was a video interview with Florio on PFT website.

https://player.fm/se...ock-draft-17-21

Chris Sacca - venture capitalist from Lockport, went to Buff State. Former Head of Special Initiatives of Google and investor in Twitter.

Graham's discussion on Sacca starts at 18:51 of this link. TG's whole interview starts at 09:11, but considering it is from early May it is mostly outdated info on the other names.

http://www.buffalonews.com/business/twitter-ipo-is-deal-of-lifetime-for-lockport-native-chris-sacca-20131107

Edited by YoloinOhio

Sure....but could he win the court case that he needs to win in order to have the right to do so? Extremely unlikely.

Google wanted to get the rights to stream NFL games and lost.

Page could pay the 1.5Billion in cash to buy the Bills just to get a seat at the Owner's table. Streaming the game is just the tip of the iceberg I'm sure.

You can put Google Glass on all the players and watch the game in first person.

Larry Page could just expense the 1.5B back to google as a business expense.

This is a different level of money then Trump. They're just printing the stuff right now at Google.

Since the 9ers already moved to Santa Clara relocation to Silicon Valley would seem unlikely.

It'd be interesting to see what innovations Googlers would bring to the NFL as long as they kept the Bills in Buffalo it would be pretty cool.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Page could pay the 1.5Billion in cash to buy the Bills just to get a seat at the Owner's table. Streaming the game is just the tip of the iceberg I'm sure.

This is a different level of money then Trump. They're just printing the stuff right now at Google.

Since the 9ers already moved to Santa Clara relocation to Silicon Valley would seem unlikely.

It'd be interesting to see what innovations Googlers would bring to the NFL as long as they kept the Bills in Buffalo it would be pretty cool.

I could see this too. The NFL is a cash cow no matter how you look at it. I would still worry about him moving it at some point though. However, with all the politics involved and Cuomo/Schumer/the commish, it could be in his best interest not to if he wants to get more and more out of the NFL.

This is like Snider/Comcast and the NHL with endless possibility